Giants sign TE Kyle Rudolph (2 years, up to $16M)

RaidersAreOne

This is a relief honestly. Rudolph is slow and old as the hills, but he can block and catch in the red zone. Engram can't even do that much, at least not with any consistency. He's a great athlete who just doesn't have it between the ears. He makes some good plays here and there, but if you give him time to think he will psych himself out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ny92mike said:

If we don't have the cap space it does.

There are always ways to make cap space. There is also the super simple solution of making the year one cap hit super low and raising it in years 2 and beyond. The cap is going to jump insanely high next year, and the Giants have no money tied up long term. 

Just now, minutemancl said:

There are always ways to make cap space. There is also the super simple solution of making the year one cap hit super low and raising it in years 2 and beyond. The cap is going to jump insanely high next year, and the Giants have no money tied up long term. 

Yes I'm aware of the various ways to free up cap.  I wish they'd go ahead and do it, like extending contracts like Bradberry and Martinez.  I've got no issue with back loading contracts either because we've got future cap and haven't a single contract on the books past 2023. 

1 hour ago, Gmen said:

8 million per year seems a bit rich for a 31 year old that has averaged ~350 yards over the past two seasons. 

Its weird because Kirk loves Tight Ends but then Irv Smith passed up Rudolph this year and Conklin was just as productive too.

Rudolph is not a bad player. He's just limited at this point but he's very effective if used correctly. He can be a confidence booster for Danny Dimes I think this year.