Hunter2_1

Out of the three expected back  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Can only pick 2

• Shea McClellin
    • Vincent Valentine
    • Malcolm Mitchell
    • Other: bring someone else in via trade or FA

For me, the two defensive players represent a position in need. LB depth with Shea, and DL size and penetration with VV (even if he only gets little). Mitchell, however, might be the best player out of the three but we are pretty stacked at WR. However, he has proven useful at crucial times and if we get into a position like we did in New Orleans (i.e no fit receivers) then he'd be a shoo-in.

Can't decide, but I'm tempted with Mitchell and Valentine. We need something extra at LB that Shea doesn't provide. We need pass rush, and he aint that. 

Valentine and Mitchell and it's not even close for me. 

The WR position is thin beyond the top 3 and Allen/Hollister offer no depth when Gronk inevitably goes down. Given the issues on D, they will likely need to win at least 1, probably more, shootouts in the postseason to repeat as champs. That will be tough if/when Amendola and Gronk suffer their yearly injuries.

Valentine is needed because the team has no depth or starting talent at DT and he showed some ability last year.

McClellin is just a name at this point. He sucks in just about every aspect of the game except ST. He can't stay healthy. He looked awful in pass coverage which is Harris/Roberts's biggest flaw. He's weak in the run game and offers little as a rusher. Simply being a different flavor of useless than Roberts, Harris and Flowers doesn't give me much reason to think he can contribute. He was a liability last year, is coming off a mystery injury, is a year further into his decline phase and hasn't practiced in months. 

That said, Valentine's injury seemed the worst so he might be the guy to stay on IR

If we can get back Valentine and Mitchell, I would choose them. Valentine has potential and could be a boon in the middle of that defense that has seen Wise kicked in to help out. Adding Vincent would also help mitigate the need on the edge if guys have to keep moving inside to compensate. 

I dont feel great about our receiving depth with guys like Gronk and Dola a second away from injury at all times. If both are out we have Hogan/Cooks with Dorsett and likely Hollister as pass catchers. Maybe use Rex/White as slot receivers to try and replace Danny. 

McClellin and Valentine.

We have offensive weapons out the wazoo already. Burkhead's coming back and I expect Dorsett to build some rapport with Brady over the coming weeks. We have existing depth issues at DT and LB, so it doesn't make sense to me to fill potential depth issues we may have at WR if some offensive players do get injured in the future. Hightower has been injury prone too.

2 hours ago, childofpudding said:

McClellin and Valentine.

We have offensive weapons out the wazoo already. Burkhead's coming back and I expect Dorsett to build some rapport with Brady over the coming weeks. We have existing depth issues at DT and LB, so it doesn't make sense to me to fill potential depth issues we may have at WR if some offensive players do get injured in the future. Hightower has been injury prone too.

If Amendola or Gronk goes out, the drop to Dorsett or a waiver wire guy is much more impactful than Van Noy to a waiver wire guy.

A healthy Mitchell is much more valuable than a healthy McClellin. I'm surprised there's any debate here if we're assuming equal chances for all 3 to be activated 

The offense is one injury away from not being able to carry a shaky at best (outright bad at worst) defense. They need quality depth more than the D needs crappy depth. The D is going to struggle if Hightower goes down regardless and McClellin is equal to or worse than any other LB on the roster except maybe Flowers. Playing Roberts or Harris instead of McClellin won't cost you much. Having to rely on Hollister or Dorsett could really slow the offense. We've seen it happen before when Brady doesn't have reliable and trusted targets. Dorsett is waiver wire caliber and Allen is clearly not trusted in the passing game. There's no internal option to step up when needed. The drop off will be significant when injuries strike. Hopefully, Mitchell can get back on the field this year. They're going to need him eventually 

1 minute ago, tonyto36 said:

McClellin is pretty mediocre, but he's still a warm body who knows the defense.  We are a Hightower injury away from disaster and running with Van Noy, Roberts, Harris and Marsh as our LBs.   It would also give us the ability to play Hightower outside where he's been IMO better and more impactful.   That also allows you to kick Flowers inside which has been a mixed bag, but he's been drawing double teams.

On top of that, I am a fan of Valentines and was excited to see him this season, but I don't think he provides a meaningful upgrade over Brown, Branch or Guy.  On top of that, I think finding a fat guy off the streets to just park and hold a gap is easier to find than a linebacker that can learn our system and not be abysmal.  

Mitchell is a no brainer, but I'd go with Shea next.

We need the fat guy off the streets way more than McClellin imo.

Our LB's haven't been playing great but I would say that's mostly due to how badly the Dline is getting brutalized.  

You're only playing 2 LB most downs and McClellin is at best the 4th LB behind Hightower, Van Noy and Roberts. It would take multiple injuries before he's useful. 

He was really bad last year which is why Roberts was playing in the Super Bowl and partially why Van Noy was brought in.

Just now, bluemushrooms said:

We need the fat guy off the streets way more than McClellin imo.

Our LB's haven't been playing great but I would say that's mostly due to how badly the Dline is getting brutalized.  

Valentine is only not needed if Branch can regain form. Otherwise, he's a definite upgrade

12 minutes ago, tonyto36 said:

Do we though?  Any of Gronk/Cooks/Hogan goes down and we're looking at 2009 offense where it'll be suddenly easy for a defense to account for two weapons.  Brady has always been best when he had multiple guys to go to.  In 2013 all the depth and weapons were injured and limited his options.  But in 2014 suddenly with a healthy Amendola, Gronk, Vereen to go with LaFell and Edelman you had a full compliment.   Without Edelman we're suddenly in range of an injury putting us in 2009 territory with guys like Dorsett put into big roles.

"Any of Gronk/Cooks/Hogan goes down" Amendola doesn't matter now? You planning on making any of the 5 backs inactive? The offense has plenty of weapons.

Surprised this is much of a debate to be honest. The team is loaded with depth in terms of offensive skill players. Cooks, Hogan, Amendola, Gronkowski, Dorsett, White, Lewis, Burkhead (when healthy), Gillislee. Don't need to add Mitchell this season. Yeah, if two of those first four weapons goes out with injuries, the offense will be hurting.

The defense already is hurting.

The defense is hurting but a guy who was awful last year and can't stay healthy isn't the solution.

Given the fraility of the top 2 most trusted weapons and the importance for the offense to carry the D, this shouldn't be a debate unless you have a lot of faith in Allen and Dorsett and can articulate why a guy who was worse than Roberts and Van Noy last year will suddenly be better despite missing months of action with a mystery injury. 

2 minutes ago, childofpudding said:

"Any of Gronk/Cooks/Hogan goes down" Amendola doesn't matter now? You planning on making any of the 5 backs inactive? The offense has plenty of weapons.

Surprised this is much of a debate to be honest. The team is loaded with depth in terms of offensive skill players. Cooks, Hogan, Amendola, Gronkowski, Dorsett, White, Lewis, Burkhead (when healthy), Gillislee. Don't need to add Mitchell this season. Yeah, if two of those first four weapons goes out with injuries, the offense will be hurting.

The defense already is hurting.

Amendola and Gronk are injury prone and Hogan's gotten the **** beat out of him this season.  Similarly Burkhead and Lewis are having injury problems.  Mitchell actually adds a lot to our offense as a mid-range threat with great YAC ability and as a run blocker.  

McClellin just doesn't really add anything to our defense.  

6 minutes ago, bluemushrooms said:

Amendola and Gronk are injury prone and Hogan's gotten the **** beat out of him this season.  Similarly Burkhead and Lewis are having injury problems.  Mitchell actually adds a lot to our offense as a mid-range threat with great YAC ability and as a run blocker.  

McClellin just doesn't really add anything to our defense.  

Hightower is also injury prone. McClellin brings depth at a position where the team is severely lacking. Mitchell brings depth where they don't currently need it.

McClellin brings less value than Hightower and Van Noy, about as much as Roberts, and more than Flowers or Harris. Mitchell, particularly with a healing knee injury, would bring less value than Cooks, Hogan, Amendola and Gronkowski, and about the same as White, Lewis and Burkhead.

Archived