TE Kyle Rudolph officially signs deal

Acgott

39 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Lot of money...16 million for two years.  We're paying Engram 6 million.  

So either the team is playing a two tight end set and can't afford Golladay or Engram is being traded.  Don't think they can afford both.

While it may be 2 for $16M, the initial post was deleted by the agent.

1 hour ago, Giants4eva said:

I honestly do not understand this move at all. I dont see any see reason why we brought in a guy whos long in the tooth for that kind of money. 

Because he can catch and is still one of the more reliable red zone targets in the league.

As a bonus, he's a leader and a stand-up guy both on and off the field. I look forward to seeing him in blue. 

@minutemancl mentioned something interesting in the NFL News forum. Perhaps they signed Rudolph for the starting TE role, and they plan to move EE over to wideout where he would be a huge mismatch on most DB's? We know EE struggles at the underneath hitch and curl routes. But he seems to shine in the medium to deep stuff. Garrett does love his TE's though so maybe this was just a depth signing. EE, Rudolph, Smith is a pretty talented group. I don't think this means EE is getting moved, there is 6M of dead money on his contract for 2021. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

@minutemancl mentioned something interesting in the NFL News forum. Perhaps they signed Rudolph for the starting TE role, and they plan to move EE over to wideout where he would be a huge mismatch on most DB's? We know EE struggles at the underneath hitch and curl routes. But he seems to shine in the medium to deep stuff. Garrett does love his TE's though so maybe this was just a depth signing. EE, Rudolph, Smith is a pretty talented group. I don't think this means EE is getting moved, there is 6M of dead money on his contract for 2021. 

If traded he wouldn't cost us anything.  But if released it would cost us the full amount.  

• Like 2

Just now, ny92mike said:

If traded he wouldn't cost us anything.  But if released it would cost us the full amount.  

Ahh I see. Well if traded at least we'd be getting some equity in return but I hope they keep him. I still think he can emerge as a lethal receiver at some point. Just don't think his hands are good enough for the quick underneath passing routes. He's better off where he can catch the ball in space and use his length and speed to make big plays down the field. He could be a Plax 2.0 if they use him right. Rudolph is a much more sure handed as an outlet receiver, and a capable blocker. 

1 minute ago, Shockwave said:

Ahh I see. Well if traded at least we'd be getting some equity in return but I hope they keep him. I still think he can emerge as a lethal receiver at some point. Just don't think his hands are good enough for the quick underneath passing routes. He's better off where he can catch the ball in space and use his length and speed to make big plays down the field. He could be a Plax 2.0 if they use him right. Rudolph is a much more sure handed as an outlet receiver, and a capable blocker. 

Evan clearly struggled catching last season but it isn't his MO.  His catch % was pretty good the previous two years 70.3%/64.7%.  I just think that perhaps the team was asking too much of him last season.  If their idea is to run more two tight end sets, I'm good with that.  Agree with you as I'm not a fan of trading him as I think he still has a lot to offer this team.  If they could land Golladay we'd have a pretty lethal group and the talent that Jones has needed for a few years.  When they drafted him, I thought he could shift to wide out because of his speed, he's bulked up since then so I'm not sure how that would translate now.

• Like 2

Not as high as I was expecting, based on what we were hearing.  The original number was 16 million then it dropped to 14 million, the final number is 12 million for two years.    

• Year One:  4.275 million cap hit
  • Year Two:  7.25 million cap hit.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/kyle-rudolph-7762/

Kyle Rudolph signed a 2 year, $12,000,000 contract with the New York Giants, including a $4,500,000 signing bonus, $4,500,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $6,000,000. In 2021, Rudolph will earn a base salary of $2,500,000 and a signing bonus of $4,500,000, while carrying a cap hit of $4,750,000 and a dead cap value of $4,500,000.

• Like 1