McClellin possibly to begin practicing

childofpudding

He was terrible last year and worse than any of the top 3 guys (Hightower, Van Noy, Roberts). Unless he's gotten better in the offseason, he's just a crappy warm body who can't stay healthy. 

Can't rush the QB, is terrible in man coverage, poor in zone coverage and easily washed out in the run game. Can't play DE, can't play OLB and is badly exploited at ILB. His tackling last year was amongst the worst we've seen in recent years. 

Really struggling to see what he offers other than a year of experience in the system. I guess that's something. I think he is actually a downgrade to an already struggling D. 

Staple him to the bench other than ST or if injuries strike in a big way

Just now, tonyto36 said:

If he can give us 5 snaps a game where Hightower can come off the field to stay healthy, he's worth it.

That's a huge downgrade for 5 snaps. They already have Roberts or Van Noy to give Hightower a breather and Hightower should never come out of a 3 LB set outside of garbage time

Glad to see that he was at practice today. Hopefully they bring him back after the bye week. I take back my earlier remark from yesterday that the defense doesn't get better with him returning. I think it does. Him sharing snaps with Van Noy and Roberts is a good thing, especially if he takes a step forward like Van Noy has.

Plus, this defense has pretty much nowhere to go but up.

7 hours ago, mcmurtry86 said:

Don't see how McClellin will take a step forward. 

6 years in the league and was awful last season. I'd love to hear an argument as to how he's going to improve beyond "another year in the system"

Only way I could see it is if he were playing through an injury for the whole of last season, and is now 100%. 

Considering it sounds like Malcolm Mitchell won't be getting back to the field any time soon, who do we cut to bring him on the team? Or do we keep him around in case of injuries until we have to make a decision with him.

1 hour ago, iothar said:

Considering it sounds like Malcolm Mitchell won't be getting back to the field any time soon, who do we cut to bring him on the team? Or do we keep him around in case of injuries until we have to make a decision with him.

If you're talking about McClellin, he can't play until 11/12/17 so they have some time to figure out the roster spot. Langi can go to IR or they could cut Flowers/Harris

23 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

So, if McClellin has one strength, what is it? His best attribute....? ('versatility' not counted)

I guess his athleticism would be his biggest selling point. But, as we learned with Gary Guyton, speed and athleticism doesn't mean anything if you're soft, have bad instincts and can't tackle

15 hours ago, mcmurtry86 said:

Don't see how McClellin will take a step forward. 

6 years in the league and was awful last season. I'd love to hear an argument as to how he's going to improve beyond "another year in the system"

He was as good or better than Van Noy and Roberts last season. Van Noy was pretty awful last year and he's taken a step forward. No reason why McClellin couldn't either, and the Patriots front office seems to agree with me. He started the SB over Roberts and Van Noy and played more total snaps than either of them in the playoffs.

Your "6 years in the league" argument is practically invalid unless you think the Bears front office and coaching staff is on par with that of the Patriots.

I mean, I could be wrong and readily admit that. But yeah, I think McClellin could actually help a defense that is one of the worst in the league. And yes, his ability to contribute to special teams does matter.

I just don't understand why people want McClellin back so badly.  LB corp isn't the problem with our defense and the only reason McClellin is valued by BB is his ST play and his versatility.  He's a pretty subpar LB except he can fill in for any position so he's a good backup to have around.  With Van Noy, Hightower, and Roberts healthy, no need for McClellin yet.  Not to mention we still have David Harris to fill in as a thumper for Hightower or Roberts if needed.  

TBH if we're that desperate for LBers...I'd be interested to see if Marsh can pick up the position.   

If you think McClellin was better than Van Noy last year, I now understand why you think he's helpful. You're also wrong about the snap counts once Van Noy was brought in and acclimated, he played more than McClellin except in the final regular season game when Van Noy was pulled in garbage time. 

As for the Super Bowl, McClellin played 8 snaps. Roberts played 14 and Van Noy 30. So if McClellin truly is better, we should let Belichick know that he was playing worse players in the biggest game of the year.

I get that you like the guy and think he's a useful piece. I'm all for debating his abilities as a LB but all the evidence from 2016 points to him being worse and less trusted than the guys already on the team. 

Regardless of how you view his time in Chicago, the tape is there. It doesn't matter how good the Pats coaches are, some things you just can't fix. Being useless at the POA is really hard, if not impossible to fix. Instincts can't be taught. 

He's a bad player. He's been a bad player his whole career. Until he shows otherwise, there's no reason to think he's improved enough to improve the LB unit when he lost his job and snaps to the same guys who are ahead of him now. I hope he proves me wrong but I just don't see it. He literally has no high end ability in any aspect of the game and his instincts/fundamentals looked poor last year. Other than ST, there's nothing he's good at and many things he's demonstrably bad at

40 minutes ago, bluemushrooms said:

I just don't understand why people want McClellin back so badly.  LB corp isn't the problem with our defense and the only reason McClellin is valued by BB is his ST play and his versatility.  He's a pretty subpar LB except he can fill in for any position so he's a good backup to have around.  With Van Noy, Hightower, and Roberts healthy, no need for McClellin yet.  Not to mention we still have David Harris to fill in as a thumper for Hightower or Roberts if needed.  

TBH if we're that desperate for LBers...I'd be interested to see if Marsh can pick up the position.   

Grass is greener theory. The LBs haven't been great and he was around last year and is a former 1st round pick so he must be an improvement. That's really the only argument for him as an improvement 

Archived