NFL media deals finalized - at least 10B annual income annually

Broncofan

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

The NFL is going to simply just say if you want that choice, take the streaming / Sunday ticket replacement option.    They won't do anything more, given that the TV $ is in the bank.  

It would work best if people could purchase teams and games a la carte in addition to the league-wide plan. I mean this would make it very affordable for Packers fans in Duluth-Superior to be able to see that team's games that are in conflict with Vikings games.

7 minutes ago, pf9 said:

It would work best if people could purchase teams and games a la carte in addition to the league-wide plan. I mean this would make it very affordable for Packers fans in Duluth-Superior to be able to see that team's games that are in conflict with Vikings games.

You'll get no argument from me on what's best for the consumers...but the problem is, the NFL doesn't need to cater to consumers' needs to that degree.   The demand for football means that we'll take what they give us... the more informed ones won't like it, but overall our viewing patterns haven't told TV Execs a model change is needed - except for replacing the Sunday Ticket delivery method. 

The all-inclusive, take-it-or-leave-it approach is still working for them.  Streaming is the one change they're incorporating along with canning the Sunday Ticket after 2022, but they're still succeeding with the take-it-or-leave-it approach.  When it doesn't keep working, for sure there will be more uptake.   Until then....you get the idea.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

Anyone curious as to when these extra MNF games will take place? Week 1 I’d imagine. Would they want to overlap with MLB twice with a late afternoon and primetime game in October? Most likely will be flex games prior to Bowl season and post Thanksgiving.

On 3/19/2021 at 2:05 PM, Broncofan said:

You'll get no argument from me on what's best for the consumers...but the problem is, the NFL doesn't need to cater to consumers' needs to that degree.   The demand for football means that we'll take what they give us... the more informed ones won't like it, but overall our viewing patterns haven't told TV Execs a model change is needed - except for replacing the Sunday Ticket delivery method. 

The all-inclusive, take-it-or-leave-it approach is still working for them.  Streaming is the one change they're incorporating along with canning the Sunday Ticket after 2022, but they're still succeeding with the take-it-or-leave-it approach.  When it doesn't keep working, for sure there will be more uptake.   Until then....you get the idea.

I feel that being able to purchase games and teams a la carte would bring in even more money than just making people buy the whole package.

On 3/19/2021 at 1:58 PM, pf9 said:

Live half way between Cleveland and Pittsburgh.   Just about 50/50 split in fans.  Especially early on in the season, the Browns will always be on. Being a Cowboy fan I would like to buy access to Cowboys games, so I can watch us win the division at 7-9.

On 3/19/2021 at 2:05 PM, Broncofan said:

Canning Sunday Ticket? They could just make it an Amazon exclusive for Streaming with those announcers. I don't see Sunday Ticket going away any time soon.

4 hours ago, scar988 said:

Canning Sunday Ticket? They could just make it an Amazon exclusive for Streaming with those announcers. I don't see Sunday Ticket going away any time soon.

It expires after 2022.   It’s notable that the league announced renewal with every provider but that one.   I’d take it that the league is moving on.  The format is not accessible for the entire population and doesn’t mesh with an out of US model.   Remember the league still believes in expanding globally. 

12 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I'm happy with Amazon getting as much football as possible since it's already a sunk cost for me.

Same.  On top of that, I actually prefer watching games on Amazon vs others.  You can watch it anywhere on any device, it's not as delayed as others, you can choose from 3 different broadcast teams,  get interesting stats live provided by NGS, and as you said.....I already pay for it anyhow, so it's a win-win.  

On 3/18/2021 at 3:13 PM, pf9 said:

Furthermore, the NFL should adopt college OT rules soon, because if a primetime game goes into multiple OTs under the college OT rules, it would get more people to tune into the game after it goes into OT, increasing its ratings, and making such a game one of the greatest in NFL history.

Do you have anything to support this? That college OT would provide a higher turnout than the NFL OT? Because frankly, I don't think which type of OT is going to make a difference between folks tuning in for just OT and not. If they weren't watching already, they won't watch.