Bears release Fuller

13 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

I can’t believe they just straight up cut him, like I said hopefully he goes to a good team and continues his play. I think this might have been the straw that broke the defense, especially since it has came out that Hicks wants a trade. This team is going to be a nightmare this upcoming season. 

I really don't want understand what Pace & Nagy are thinking

It's as if their jobs are not in jeopardy as much as we were led to believe

There just doesn't seem to be a direction to improve my the team for this coming season.

Unless I'm missing something here that's part of a grander plan?

These moves are just odd

I mean why cut Fuller for nothing in return but keep Jimmy Graham who's pretty much just a red zone target?

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I really don't want understand what Pace & Nagy are thinking

It's as if their jobs are not in jeopardy as much as we were led to believe

There just doesn't seem to be a direction to improve my the team for this coming season.

Unless I'm missing something here that's part of a grander plan?

These moves are just odd

I mean why cut Fuller for nothing in return but keep Jimmy Graham who's pretty much just a red zone target?

I don’t understand it at all. I guess there is next offseason to look forward to, that is until Pace and Nagy are still with the team. 

4 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I'm starting to think Pace and maybe even Nagy have a lot more job security than we believe, because these last few days have left me awfully confused on the direction of the team. Sign Dalton to perhaps sneak back into January but then cut your best corner

Hicks is next

I'm starting to wonder if Pace and Nagy are trying to get out of Chicago. 

Overall Pace is just throwing me for a loop. You can't tell me there was zero trade interest. That's total bs.

3 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I'm starting to wonder if Pace and Nagy are trying to get out of Chicago. 

Overall Pace is just throwing me for a loop. You can't tell me there was zero trade interest. That's total bs.

Why wouldn’t they just quit then, a season like I’m thinking is going to happen is going to be a huge black mark on them. 

Have the Bears officially announced this move?  Is it possible this is a situation where we hear he’s being released, but then they get a trade done at the last second with a team not wanting to compete with others on the open market?  That’s what I’m hoping for.

6 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

Have the Bears officially announced this move?  Is it possible this is a situation where we hear he’s being released, but then they get a trade done at the last second with a team not wanting to compete with others on the open market?  That’s what I’m hoping for.

That is what a few tweets posted have mentioned, that it was announced after the transaction line had closed for the day. 

12 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

That is what a few tweets posted have mentioned, that it was announced after the transaction line had closed for the day. 

That’s all i can hope for at this point.  You can’t not get anything for a guy like fuller.  

1 hour ago, blkwdw13 said:

Why wouldn’t they just quit then, a season like I’m thinking is going to happen is going to be a huge black mark on them. 

It was more tongue in cheek than anything.

You quit your have to give back money that was going to be earned that season. We've seen a bunch of players that had to give back money when they retired early into their big deals, and Pace and Nagy aren't getting QB money so that's a significant drop. 

If they needed cap space, Graham should have been the first to go. At the same time I think this reveals that the league in general doesn’t value Fuller as highly as fans do, based on his declining 2020 performance, high-salary, and age. I’m sure the FO was putting out feelers to other teams even while including him in Wilson trade-package offers. 

But, the other team would have to pay him a top-5 CB cap hit. For a guy that graded #38 overall last year and #22 in coverage, despite being on a team with a top-5 pass rush. And who is about to turn 30 in at the end of the season. 

I’m sure some team will take a chance on him rebounding. Just at a lesser cap hit. 

Edited by TransientTexan
  • Like 3
7 hours ago, TransientTexan said:

If they needed cap space, Graham should have been the first to go. At the same time I think this reveals that the league in general doesn’t value Fuller as highly as fans do, based on his declining 2020 performance, high-salary, and age. I’m sure the FO was putting out feelers to other teams even while including him in Wilson trade-package offers. 

But, the other team would have to pay him a top-5 CB cap hit. For a guy that graded #38 overall last year and #22 in coverage, despite being on a team with a top-5 pass rush. And who is about to turn 30 in at the end of the season. 

I’m sure some team will take a chance on him rebounding. Just at a lesser cap hit. 

Pretty much this.  I've had the time to think about it and given that any team trading for Fuller would have had to either accept his high cap hit for 2021 (which was close to $20M) or be willing to re-negotiate his deal to a long term extension, that would surely have made finding a trade partner difficult.

I guess Bears didn't want to commit to Fuller any longer than this year and when he refused to take a pay cut that was the last straw.

Still sucks they couldn't have  tried to make it work for this one last year and then let him walk next year in 2022 FA to try and recoup a comp pick in 2023.  That would have been a much better plan I think.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

We are going a little overboard.  

You can disagree with the cut and I do, but if Pace could have traded him he would have.

You are giving Ryan Pace a lot of credit he has not earned.

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

We are going a little overboard.  

You can disagree with the cut and I do, but if Pace could have traded him he would have.

I bet no one wanted to trade for him unless he signed an extension. He refused because he wanted to become a free agent. Which may end up costing him a lot of money in the end, but at least he'll be able to choose his own landing spot. 

Not that it matters much but though they were all reporting he wasn’t on the transaction wire as released yet. 

Either way good for him getting back with Fangio, hope he continues to do good and Denver has a good season.