Grade the FA signings

On 4/1/2021 at 4:45 AM, turtle28 said:

My view on Christian & Martin are they aren’t busts bc they are back ups currently. We draft a 3rd round LT back up and a 4th round guard as a back up, they make the team two/three years in a row and they’re busts? 

Washington invested the 2018 74th pick in Christian. If he's still a backup at the end of his rookie contract, he's a bust. The fact that they had to go sign Cornelius Lucas to backfill him, and then had him replace Christian emphasizes how much of a bust Christian actually is. Lucas received a 2y/$3.8M/$1.0M contract last year. Is Christian worth that? Keep in mind that a significant number of mocks have us looking to left tackles like Samuel Cosmi or Christian Darrisaw (due to where the value/need matches up). If Christian wasn't a bust, we would be projected elsewhere.

Martin is perhaps less of a bust, but has looked worse when playing. He's on his third year of his contract but has barely showed anything that he's worth keeping beyond the fact he's cheap. He too was replaced by a free agent in Wes Schweitzer (3y/$13.5M/$4.0M/$3.0M signing). Like Christian, his free agent replacement has a contract length that will last as long as his rookie contract.

Oh, and then there's the question of Saaddiq Charles who could theoretically take either player's spot (probably more a threat to Martin than Christian).

So, yes, they're busts.

Man that’s some damn high bar to not be called a bust by NFL fans, you can’t be a mid round pick and be back up, damn it! You gotta be a good starter at the least or else you’re a bust as a mid round pick!

3rd round picks should be adequate starters by their third year in the league. 4th round picks should show some semblance of actually able to play the position without a massive fall of in talent.

The good news is that Washington has started aggressively drafting linemen, so whiffing on these picks isn't that bad. That doesn't mean they aren't busts though.

That’s a hell of a murderers row for a young inexperienced left side of the OL to face in their first month starting together w/ no real off-season and no preseason to develop chemistry, work on technique and improve to the point where they could be better starters as first time starters.

Problem for both guys is that they were replaced with competent veterans who immediately solidified that line with none of that chemistry or off-season either. That means going into this season they're going to be relegated to backups and not getting enough snaps to take a step forward barring injury. Sure, they will have time to get chemistry now but they will be doing it with the 2s and 3s.

The draft investment in them didn't pay off. It happens.

On 4/1/2021 at 7:47 PM, Thaiphoon said:

To be fair. I kinda want the DL to be in rounds 1 or 2. I think the propensity to do well in the league at that position comes in those rounds (and interestingly enough, I think in like round 4 or 5 it pops back up). So get an DL sometime in the first 2 rounds and then a OL (if one is good enough to get in that draft spot) in the same space. It's just been harder for us to get quality OL than DL lately.

Well, they have been investing A LOT of premium capital in the defensive line over the past four years. So the quality is there, as is the depth. Focusing on the OL with the same usage would make a lot of sense. If they draft as well on the offensive line anywhere near the level of success they have on the defensive of the ball, the trajectory for this franchise will be looking very good going forward.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2021 at 3:54 AM, turtle28 said:

True and I’m not against taking an OL w/ any pick if they’re the best player available but we’re not in a position where it’s a definite need and we would reach for a G or OT over a better prospect at LB, CB, WR, S or TE.

I’d go Darisaw, Cosmi or Wyatt Davis at 19 if the top 5 QBs are gone, the top 3 WRs are gone, the top 3 CBs are gone and Parsons & JOK are gone.

I just think at 19 you are going to not find a better need/value/long-term improvement proposition than OL. I see few scenarios where any of the people you mentioned outside of JOK are available at 19.

On 4/3/2021 at 4:04 AM, turtle28 said:

I know many people hate the idea of this, but I’m definitely still in the boat if we can bring back Ryan Anderson to be our 3rd DE on the cheap. Yes, he’s a huge drop off from Kerrigan as a pass rusher but, he can proved in 2019 after Kerrigan was hurt that he could be a serviceable DE as a rotational guy & even if he had to start.

Rather give those snaps to JSW.

Besides, Anderson signed with the Giants on a one year deal (vet min plus deal: 1y/$1.23M/$0.14M, but only costs $987.5K against the cap). They can have him.

Edited by Woz