Biggs: Bears give Hicks permission to seek trade

beardown3231

11 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

They I see it, the Bears are in a version of one of these three scenarios:

-Setting up for a big move at QB, which would be Wilson or Watson (I can dream), and somehow have a deal worked out that needed cap space but also Andy Dalton (???)

-Under a mandate from ownership to begin the tank, but are messing it up by losing assets without getting a return.  They're hamstrung from signing long term deals or trading future assets, but want to overperform with existing talent to justify their jobs going forward, or have secretly extended Nagy and Pace to oversee a rebuild from the previous Pace administration. 

-Flailing.  They struck out on the home run, panicked about QB,  overfilled their cap, panicked about the cap, cut a great player for nothing, and are now raising their salaries while getting worse. 

Someone convince me it's not #3? 

The good news is there's another UNC QB to draft next year!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RunningVaccs said:

They I see it, the Bears are in a version of one of these three scenarios:

-Setting up for a big move at QB, which would be Wilson or Watson (I can dream), and somehow have a deal worked out that needed cap space but also Andy Dalton (???)

-Under a mandate from ownership to begin the tank, but are messing it up by losing assets without getting a return.  They're hamstrung from signing long term deals or trading future assets, but want to overperform with existing talent to justify their jobs going forward, or have secretly extended Nagy and Pace to oversee a rebuild from the previous Pace administration. 

-Flailing.  They struck out on the home run, panicked about QB,  overfilled their cap, panicked about the cap, cut a great player for nothing, and are now raising their salaries while getting worse. 

Someone convince me it's not #3? 

Scenario #2 - soft rebuild, seems the most likely based on the moves made to this point.  The Wilson dream seems done..at least for this year.  Watson may be in a heap of trouble and it doesn't appear he will be getting traded any time soon and even if he does Bears are still longshots to get him.

I don't think they would cut Fuller and now maybe Hicks too just because they panicked about the cap.  There's got to be a reason behind it.  Something tells me they are trying to shed cap for next offseason, which also tells me they have more job security than we think

26 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Scenario #2 - soft rebuild, seems the most likely based on the moves made to this point.  The Wilson dream seems done..at least for this year.  Watson may be in a heap of trouble and it doesn't appear he will be getting traded any time soon and even if he does Bears are still longshots to get him.

I don't think they would cut Fuller and now maybe Hicks too just because they panicked about the cap.  There's got to be a reason behind it.  Something tells me they are trying to shed cap for next offseason, which also tells me they have more job security than we think

A soft rebuild is what it's looking like and that's the absolute worst idea possible. Basically the Chicago Bulls approach. Let's guarantee we never have a team worth watching and can't make the playoffs but let's also not get a high enough pick to get a franchise qb. 

12 hours ago, MonserinNC said:

Not even trying to be a snarky here but WHO??

Roquan Smith--best player on the roster

Eddie Goldman

Jaylen Johnson--hated the pick (wanted an offensive lineman, quarterback, or speed receiver), but he looks like he's going to be very good.

Cole Kmet--hated the pick (see above), but he has promise

David Montgomery

James Daniels

Darnell Mooney

Eddie Jackson--(if he ever rebounds)

Duke Shelley, King Vildor, and Trevis Gipson all showed promise last year. Cody Whitehair is only 28. The Bears plan is to not have Andy Dalton be the long term answer at QB. If they draft a kid (and get it right this time), that will be a young player as well. 

3 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Roquan Smith--best player on the roster

Eddie Goldman -Opted out, no clue what hes been doing all year

Jaylen Johnson--hated the pick (wanted an offensive lineman, quarterback, or speed receiver), but he looks like he's going to be very good.

Cole Kmet--hated the pick (see above), but he has promise

David Montgomery-Bad rookie year, not sure if I define him as core

James Daniels-not bad but not sure if I define as core

Darnell Mooney

Eddie Jackson--(if he ever rebounds)

Duke Shelley, King Vildor, and Trevis Gipson all showed promise last year. Cody Whitehair is only 28. The Bears plan is to not have Andy Dalton be the long term answer at QB. If they draft a kid (and get it right this time), that will be a young player as well.  -this is a mix of unproven and/or bad players.....dont even know what to say here

1 hour ago, MonserinNC said:

Hold up, your contention is that David Montgomery rushing for 900 yards behind THAT offensive line was a bad year?  He got hit in the backfield on every play.  And none of Kindle Vildor, Duke Shelley, Trevis Gipson, or Cody Whitehair are bad players.  Vildor and Gipson are unproven, however Vildor acquitted himself nicely when filling in for JJ last year.  Gipsons snaps were very limited but he showed some potential.  I wouldnt define any of them (except Whitehair) as core guys.  But again none of them were bad.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MonserinNC said:

Eddie Goldman did opt out. So, that makes him a bad player? That's confusing. You can focus on Montgomery's rookie season, and ignore last season, but...that's kinda weird. You can scoff at the notion that Montgomery and Daniels are "core" players, but not only would I disagree with that, that's not even what I claimed in the first place. I said most of their good players are young. I grouped Shelley, Vildor, and Gipson at the end there as I couldn't include them in the list. I put Whitehair in that same paragraph as I didn't feel like arguing whether 28 is "young" or not--I will now, though. Whitehair likely has a lot of good years left ahead of him. 

The team isn't "old' because Mack is 30, Hicks is 33, and a one-year rental QB is 33, as well. 

Who are the other "good" Bears players that are older than the group I listed? 

3 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

This weird off-season has "the Bears believe that Ryan pace can dig us out of the hole that the last pace administration dug" vibes

AZ GM has had that deal for I don’t know what reason.  Raiders Gruden got that deal too, upfront and publicly. 

I am starting to suspect Bears brass got overly excited after 2018 and locked everyone up to huge deals on the down low that probably run at least through 2022.

Allowing a lame duck staff to attempt giant trades makes no sense otherwise.  

Who would be that dumb? 

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

AZ GM has had that deal for I don’t know what reason.  Raiders Gruden got that deal too, upfront and publicly. 

I am starting to suspect Bears brass got overly excited after 2018 and locked everyone up to huge deals on the down low that probably run at least through 2022.

Allowing a lame duck staff to attempt giant trades makes no sense otherwise.  

Who would be that dumb? 

The Bears