Biggs: Bears give Hicks permission to seek trade

beardown3231

3 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

That's exactly what's going on. 

I totally picture Pace and Nagy in George's office;  the lights are down and Pace is showing McCaskey a video set to menacing music, full of errant throws by Trubisky, Glennon getting sacked, Foles being Foles.  George looks scared, he glances at Nagy who nods sagely while Pace explains that George needs to hire them, they're read,  and they alone can stop the devastation, and bring the Bears out of the passing game wilderness.  George, sweating, says yes, yes of course, signs the papers in the folder marked "hiring papers". Inside the folder are 4 year extensions. As the pair leave the office, chuckling at their job security, a still deeply shaken George sits back in his chair staring at the ceiling and says to no one, "thank God for those nice boys, they seem like they can help!" In the corner of the room, unseen by any of the others, Ted Phillips gives a bemused shrug, then returns to his work; he's hand-drawn a map of the Soldier Field parking lots and is using a string and pencil to start plotting tiers of parking spaces to charge more for.  

• Like 2

On 3/20/2021 at 11:31 AM, dll2000 said:

Allowing a lame duck staff to attempt giant trades makes no sense otherwise.  

I'm beginning to think @topwop1 is right. Pace and Nagy ARE NOT lame ducks.

On 3/20/2021 at 2:39 PM, RunningVaccs said:

I totally picture Pace and Nagy in George's office;  the lights are down and Pace is showing McCaskey a video set to menacing music, full of errant throws by Trubisky, Glennon getting sacked, Foles being Foles.  George looks scared, he glances at Nagy who nods sagely while Pace explains that George needs to hire them, they're read,  and they alone can stop the devastation, and bring the Bears out of the passing game wilderness.  George, sweating, says yes, yes of course, signs the papers in the folder marked "hiring papers". Inside the folder are 4 year extensions. As the pair leave the office, chuckling at their job security, a still deeply shaken George sits back in his chair staring at the ceiling and says to no one, "thank God for those nice boys, they seem like they can help!" In the corner of the room, unseen by any of the others, Ted Phillips gives a bemused shrug, then returns to his work; he's hand-drawn a map of the Soldier Field parking lots and is using a string and pencil to start plotting tiers of parking spaces to charge more for.  

Not far off.

On 3/20/2021 at 4:36 PM, beardown3231 said:

The Bears are clueless

How am I supposed to believe this team will be better in 2021 again? Because the QB is slightly better and the new DC is kind of like Fangio? Barf

The "major hole at CB" is bonkers. They'll  make Johnson the #1 guy. Roberson is coming back. Pace will cream in his pants at the prospect of drafting another guy. I'm not saying Fuller was overrated. But, if there's any position group the Bears have down, it's CB. 

On 3/20/2021 at 5:36 PM, beardown3231 said:

The Bears are clueless

How am I supposed to believe this team will be better in 2021 again? Because the QB is slightly better and the new DC is kind of like Fangio? Barf

Dalton hasnt had "three years to master the system" so how could it be better? 

19 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

The "major hole at CB" is bonkers. They'll  make Johnson the #1 guy. Roberson is coming back. Pace will cream in his pants at the prospect of drafting another guy. I'm not saying Fuller was overrated. But, if there's any position group the Bears have down, it's CB. 

I dont see how Roberson makes a difference.  He has played as many NFL snaps as you and I have at 28 years old. Johnson isnt a #1 CB, Skrine is gone so that leave Lucas, Shelly, and Vildor to compete with Roberson for 2 and 3. 

That's a weak group. Pussushers are better as a group than Mack. Hell I'd argue OL is better with out interior guys and Ifedi going to RT even. 

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

I dont see how Roberson makes a difference.  He has played as many NFL snaps as you and I have at 28 years old. Johnson isnt a #1 CB, Skrine is gone so that leave Lucas, Shelly, and Vildor to compete with Roberson for 2 and 3. 

Johnson is a #1 CB. Dismissing Roberson is silly. 

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

JJ has the ability, but I'm concerned about durability. Roberson is a nothing at this stage. To automatically assume he can nicely fill in the #2 corner spot right now is absurd

Edited by beardown3231
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

JJ has the ability, but I'm concerned about durability. Roberson is a nothing at this stage. To automatically assume he can nicely fill in the #2 corner spot right now is absurd

Let's not all acquire the Pace obsession over that position, okay?

The Bears should be okay.. They really should. 

11 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Let's not all acquire the Pace obsession over that position, okay?

The Bears should be okay.. They really should. 

I always believe that a great pass rush makes good corners look even better, so on paper the Bears corners should be fine. Except I watched every snap last year and Mack looks old, Hicks looks older and Quinn looks bad. Roberson might work out, but right now I wouldn't think he's even close to being the favorite for the #2 spot or anything. If I had to give that spot to anyone at the moment, I'd say it's Trufant's or a rookie with Roberson as a 2nd/3rd string along with Vildor vs Shelley for the NB spot

• Like 1

On 3/21/2021 at 8:01 PM, Heinz D. said:

Johnson isn't consistent enough to be a 1. He can develop it but he is at a hell of a hard spot to do it. Sometimes 2 years isnt enough. Fuller took longer to develop onto a 1 and he was hands down a better prospect. 

I'd argue crowning him as anything more than an aged prospect is what is silly. I hope he owns the spot and locks it down but there is a reason he is paid less this year than 30 punters in the league...

44 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Johnson isn't consistent enough to be a 1. He can develop it but he is at a hell of a hard spot to do it. Sometimes 2 years isnt enough. Fuller took longer to develop onto a 1 and he was hands down a better prospect. 

I'd argue crowning him as anything more than an aged prospect is what is silly. I hope he owns the spot and locks it down but there is a reason he is paid less this year than 30 punters in the league...

I'm baffled that we have locked in Johnson as forever CB but for different reasons. The reason he fell in the draft? Shoulder injuries. The reason he didn't finish the season? Shoulder injuries. I'm in his club, and it sucks, without pretty much constant maintenance mine are both useless, so I keep wondering how long his career is going to be and how reliable he can be for a season. 

• Like 1

Well, is Johnson capable of being an All-Pro, like Fuller? Hard to say. My contention is that he'll be good enough to be a legit starter. He may never be as good as Fuller. When you have the Mack contract weighing down your entire salary cap, then you turn around and give a truckload of money to Eddie Jackson, your options are limited.

Yeah, because he came from the CFL. We'll see how he does. I think he'll be in the rotation, but if I had to bet on who the other starter will be, it'll be Shelly or a rookie. 

What was CB 1 and 2 order in camp/otas last year before everyone got hurt?

If memory serves it was initially Burns and Fuller with JJ making noise about moving up.  

It looks like Roberson got hurt before camp so he is still an enigma.

Burns has not been resigned to date I believe.  

44 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

What was CB 1 and 2 order in camp/otas last year before everyone got hurt?

If memory serves it was initially Burns and Fuller with JJ making noise about moving up.  

It looks like Roberson got hurt before camp so he is still an enigma.

Burns has not been resigned to date I believe.  

i thought he got hurt training before training camp - think he got waived with an injury designation, and when he wasn't claimed, reverted to our IR. I believe Burns was running with the 1's, but he got hurt so early in camp there wasn't enough time to properly evaluate