Bears offer for Wilson

Manny/Patrick

37 minutes ago, Manny/Patrick said:

As the great @dpshow reported, Bears offered 3 1st and a 3 for Russell Wilson plus players. I'm told Seattle was offered a swath of players to choose from - including Mack and Hicks - with the possibility 1 or more could be dealt. But picks aren't that high and no QB for SEA

I would have done that

Where did you hear that they offered Mack?

Mack is 31 and has 3 years, and 64M left on his deal.

Hicks is 32 and has 1 year left on his deal.

Chicago's pick is 1.20.   The next 2 picks likely improve if Wilson is their QB.

There's no way that the offer above is enough for a QB in his prime like Russell Wilson.    The difference between a top 7-8 pick and 1.20 is massive.   It's almost 2x as valuable.     

For a team that's going to trade away Russell Wilson and only get those 2 guys and 3 middle-late 1sts - those 2 players don't help them be better when the rebuild hits stride.  Hicks will be gone, and Mack will be in his last year, or likely gone.   There's literally zero value to a rebuilder.   

Now if this was Carolina offering a young player on his rookie deal, and 3 1sts including 1.8 - SEA might have been more tempted.  But the final part on why it didn't happen this year - Seattle doesn't own its 2022 1st round pick - NYJ does.   And 5 of their core guys are all UFA's after 2021.    Tyler Lockett, Duane Brown, Jarran Reed, Jamal Adams and Qandre Diggs.      You don't rebuild this year with that situation - you go for it.   For better or worse, when SEA traded for Jamal Adams, and they have all their key guys (except DK Metcalf & Wilson) with 1 final year on the team - you don't blow it up that year...you do it the next, once you have your 1st round picks for the next year.

Wilson's going to have very similar trade value by waiting a year.  He'll only be 32.   By then, owning all their picks, if SEA isn't going anywhere, and their core guys leave, sure.  But the 2022 offer is likely going to be FAR better than that offer above.   

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Manny/Patrick said:

As the great @dpshow reported, Bears offered 3 1st and a 3 for Russell Wilson plus players. I'm told Seattle was offered a swath of players to choose from - including Mack and Hicks - with the possibility 1 or more could be dealt. But picks aren't that high and no QB for SEA

I would have done that

And then you'd potentially be going back to the Tarvaris Jackson days. It's so difficult to find someone that even approaches franchise QB material. 

Even if the Seahawks didn't have to face a huge cap penalty, and the Bears sweetened the deal and said 3 first rounders, 3 second rounders, and K Mack it would be hard to part with a franchise QB like Wilson. Even if he's 32. 

Pete knows that his meal ticket is Wilson for better or worse. He's too old to start over with someone else. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

If I'm Seattle, I'm rejecting everything.

Unless it's a straight swap with Watson or something, I'd consider that at least. But then...what's the point, they're pretty even?

Watson is only 25, so even if it was just a basic player for player swap you're getting the better end of the deal. If you feel both players are essentially even. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

And then you'd potentially be going back to the Tarvaris Jackson days. It's so difficult to find someone that even approaches franchise QB material. 

Even if the Seahawks didn't have to face a huge cap penalty, and the Bears sweetened the deal and said 3 first rounders, 3 second rounders, and K Mack it would be hard to part with a franchise QB like Wilson. Even if he's 32. 

Pete knows that his meal ticket is Wilson for better or worse. He's too old to start over with someone else. 

I wouldn’t mind that 

• Like 1

Here's the thing - why would Seattle care about getting players in return for Wilson? If you're trading away your franchise QB, you might as well blow everything up and start over. You're gonna tell me you're going to take Akiem Hicks and Khalil Mack's contract/cap space/age after trading away Wilson? Why?

There's no universe where trading Wilson makes sense for Seattle unless they are completely rebuilding.

• Like 2

A pretty gross trade that I think would have prevented both teams from seriously contending. With the Bears having those holes on the roster from the lack of picks and the dead cap Seattle would eat, this seems like a fast track to achieving mediocre purgatory for both teams (although the Bears are doing a nice job of that on their own).

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy
  • Like 1

I've picked Carolina Panthers as a middle of the road average type team who have picked up and down the 1st round of the draft in the last 6 years. Their last 6 1st round picks are:

Shaq Thompson

Vernon Butler

Christian McCaffrey

DJ Moore

Brian Burns

Derrick Brown

If you offered me Russell Wilson or those 6 players I am taking Wilson.

• Like 4