Bears offer for Wilson

Manny/Patrick

On 4/4/2021 at 11:52 AM, Pugger said:

Isn't Wilson only 32?  I don't think he has ever had any serious injuries in his career (he has only missed a couple of games due to injury) so I would think he'd still be productive for a lot more than 2 years.

Nope, he never missed a game in his career which is quite impressive with his playing style! 

2 hours ago, Split the Sticks said:

Russell Wilson, I believe, is destined to be in the HoF. 

How Seattle can ponder trading him, I just don't know. Great QB's are so rare and hard to come by.

That's a really good point. Looks to me like trading Wilson is a way for Pete Carroll to keep total control on football operations and him not willing to let Russ have a bigger influence on the offense. Why would the franchise prioritize a 70 years old coach over a 32 years old HOF-bound QB?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MagicMT said:

Why would the franchise prioritize a 70 years old coach over a 32 years old HOF-bound QB?

Absolutely no idea. But that's what they're doing. The only thing I could come up with is that Carroll will retire after this year if he can't repair his relationship with Wilson. 

I can't believe people still think Seattle is going to trade a future HOF QB.  Much less to Chicago who doesn't have nearly enough ammo to get him.  I've literally been embarrassed to be a Bears fan lately after watching all of these sheep fans setting themselves up for failure just because the media told them to do so. 

Seattle is in win now mode, and you don't trade one of the best QBs in the league without getting equal talent in return or at least getting the opportunity to draft a replacement who could be better or equal. And you can't do that with the Bears since they have the 20th pick in the draft and no 4th round picks. 

There's really no benefit for Seattle in any way, shape, or form.

Likewise, it also wouldn't make any sense for the Bears in the long run either.  Just look at the current roster structure.  We're not just a QB away from being a SB contender. You could argue we would be a SB contender THIS YEAR and you could certainly make some valid points.  But, as a Bears fan, I'll be honest.....even with Wilson.... I don't think we would be.  And THIS year would be the best chance we would have at winning a title because it's going to get rough after 2021. 

The only thing that has kept this team respectable in the last 3 years has been STs and the defense, and the defense only has 1 more year left before it has to be retooled.   Maybe even sooner since they foolishly released Fuller and pissed off every other player in the locker room who were ALREADY pissed because they tagged Arob instead of paying like they should have. So how do you retool the entire backbone of your team with limited assets since you gave it all up for one player on offense.

Hell, our ST's will also most likely drop this year.  They still haven't even offered Patterson a contract, and outside McManis on coverage, he's been our best ST player on both sides of the ball.  Cohen will be back from injury and he's not bad as a returner but he's also not as versatile since he doesn't play coverage like Patterson does.

The Point is, the best option right now is to continue being patient and see they if they get lucky enough to see if a QB falls that they can move up to 10-14 to get without giving up too many future assets.  And if not, then screw it..... run with Foles/Dalton/late-round development QB and take a 3-6 win season, which will ultimately end the Pace and Nagy era and the next regime will have 100M and a fresh set of capital to work with.  

New regime in 2022 + GM and HC being hired at the same time to decide the QB + alot of money to spend in free agency + draft capital = a relatively fast rebuild. 

If they fail on the QB next year, then so what.  Fire them all after 4 years and try it again.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2021 at 8:19 PM, Jeezla said:

Bears should offer the same thing for Zach Wilson, minus the players.

I don't agree with giving up a ton for either but if they have a choice then take Watson or Wilson over a rookie hands down. 

Known commodity >>>>>>>>unknown (possible) commodity. All day long.

Edited by JAF-N72EX

6 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I can't believe people still think Seattle is going to trade a future HOF QB.  Much less to Chicago who doesn't have nearly enough ammo to get him.  I've literally been embarrassed to be a Bears fan lately after watching all of these sheep fans setting themselves up for failure just because the media told them to do so. 

Seattle is in win now mode, and you don't trade one of the best QBs in the league without getting equal talent in return or at least getting the opportunity to draft a replacement who could be better or equal. And you can't do that with the Bears since they have the 20th pick in the draft and no 4th round picks. 

There's really no benefit for Seattle in any way, shape, or form.

Likewise, it also wouldn't make any sense for the Bears in the long run either.  Just look at the current roster structure.  We're not just a QB away from being a SB contender. You could argue we would be a SB contender THIS YEAR and you could certainly make some valid points.  But, as a Bears fan, I'll be honest.....even with Wilson.... I don't think we would be.  And THIS year would be the best chance we would have at winning a title because it's going to get rough after 2021. 

The only thing that has kept this team respectable in the last 3 years has been STs and the defense, and the defense only has 1 more year left before it has to be retooled.   Maybe even sooner since they foolishly released Fuller and pissed off every other player in the locker room who were ALREADY pissed because they tagged Arob instead of paying like they should have. So how do you retool the entire backbone of your team with limited assets since you gave it all up for one player on offense.

Hell, our ST's will also most likely drop this year.  They still haven't even offered Patterson a contract, and outside McManis on coverage, he's been our best ST player on both sides of the ball.  Cohen will be back from injury and he's not bad as a returner but he's also not as versatile since he doesn't play coverage like Patterson does.

The Point is, the best option right now is to continue being patient and see they if they get lucky enough to see if a QB falls that they can move up to 10-14 to get without giving up too many future assets.  And if not, then screw it..... run with Foles/Dalton/late-round development QB and take a 3-6 win season, which will ultimately end the Pace and Nagy era and the next regime will have 100M and a fresh set of capital to work with.  

New regime in 2022 + GM and HC being hired at the same time to decide the QB + alot of money to spend in free agency + draft capital = a relatively fast rebuild. 

If they fail on the QB next year, then so what.  Fire them all after 4 years and try it again.

So much "right" in this post!  This is what the Jaguars did and it appears to be working out for them.  If the Bears try to extend their window with the current regime and roster, they will only extend the pain on the other end, IMO.  I'd take my lumps in 2021 by trading older, expensive players, for picks in 2022.  Keep the young ones who you can grow with in the future and who don't cost you much now.  Endure an ugly 2021 campaign, and be at the top of the draft in 2022 to get your future franchise QB.  For the sake of their huge and loyal fan base, I hope the McCaskeys see the wisdom of doing this sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

So much "right" in this post!  This is what the Jaguars did and it appears to be working out for them.  If the Bears try to extend their window with the current regime and roster, they will only extend the pain on the other end, IMO.  I'd take my lumps in 2021 by trading older, expensive players, for picks in 2022.  Keep the young ones who you can grow with in the future and who don't cost you much now.  Endure an ugly 2021 campaign, and be at the top of the draft in 2022 to get your future franchise QB.  For the sake of their huge and loyal fan base, I hope the McCaskeys see the wisdom of doing this sooner rather than later.

The Bears tried to trade Fuller, but that didn't work because every other team in the league knew that they couldn't pay him, so the Broncos simply just waited until he was released. They tried to trade Hicks, but that hasn't worked either--although I'm not sure why (the Bears might have had a change of heart). If they traded Mack, the cap hit would be so huge they'd have to release guys that would only lead to further L's, and Pace and Nagy don't want that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

The Bears tried to trade Fuller, but that didn't work because every other team in the league knew that they couldn't pay him, so the Broncos simply just waited until he was released. They tried to trade Hicks, but that hasn't worked either--although I'm not sure why (the Bears might have had a change of heart). If they traded Mack, the cap hit would be so huge they'd have to release guys that would only lead to further L's, and Pace and Nagy don't want that. 

Darn.  It looks like it may take a couple of years before they could do much.  Unfortunately, you have a situation where Pace & Nagy are going to be fighting for their jobs, so they aren't going to be making the best decisions for the long-term good of the team.  They will mainly be thinking about what can get them wins in 2021 and save their jobs for another year.  Not a fun place to be for Bears fans.  :(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

i guess that also didnt work out for every other team in the league except the broncos

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Darn.  It looks like it may take a couple of years before they could do much.  Unfortunately, you have a situation where Pace & Nagy are going to be fighting for their jobs, so they aren't going to be making the best decisions for the long-term good of the team.  They will mainly be thinking about what can get them wins in 2021 and save their jobs for another year.  Not a fun place to be for Bears fans.  :(

That's it in a nutshell, yeah. And if the Bears don't start winning a lot more games, and soon, whoever ends up in charge won't be able to trade Mack for much, if anything.

39 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

i guess that also didnt work out for every other team in the league except the broncos

Well, yeah, but I think the Vic Fangio connection probably sealed that deal. And if Fangio is still around in 2022, he'll lobby for Fuller to get another big payday. 

21 hours ago, Split the Sticks said:

Russell Wilson, I believe, is destined to be in the HoF. 

How Seattle can ponder trading him, I just don't know. Great QB's are so rare and hard to come by.

The only was I would do it is if the Seahawks were in prime position to get one of the top 4 guys this year--which they are not.

Dont trade you HOF, currently still great QB, when you have no plan to replace him. This isnt Peyton Manning/Andrew Luck.

On 4/6/2021 at 4:27 PM, AkronsWitness said:

The only was I would do it is if the Seahawks were in prime position to get one of the top 4 guys this year--which they are not.

Dont trade you HOF, currently still great QB, when you have no plan to replace him. This isnt Peyton Manning/Andrew Luck.

Shoot, AW, I have seen many QB's taken in the top 4 that were busts. Would you actually cut or trade Wilson under the *assumption*
that your top 3 pick will give you a serviceable quarterback? Foolish, in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Split the Sticks said:

Shoot, AW, I have seen many QB's taken in the top 4 that were busts. Would you actually cut or trade Wilson under the *assumption*
that your top 3 pick will give you a serviceable quarterback? Foolish, in my opinion.

Depends on how strongly the FO felt about the evaluation of a QB they liked. You never know when your going to be picking that high again to take a guy.

If your evaluators think THAT strongly about a QB that's available, you have to consider moving the vet