Bengals sign Riley Reiff

SBLIII

14 minutes ago, Cypher said:

I almost feel like this locks in Chase to Cincy. Give Burrow his college target. You've shored up LT for now, and Miami is prolly taking Sewell anyway. This is a great move.

I think Mia is more likely to move back and get a mint for the team that wants a top 3 QB.   They could go to 1.8 with Carolina and pocket their 2022 1st plus more and then still get Waddle. 

23 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I think Mia is more likely to move back and get a mint for the team that wants a top 3 QB.   They could go to 1.8 with Carolina and pocket their 2022 1st plus more and then still get Waddle. 

I legit don't think Carolina would do it. I think they'd be more likely to swap up to 6 with Philly if Lance/Mac drop that far. It seems there's two lines of thinking - teams are going to be scrambling up boards for QBs, or teams aren't as in love with this QB class as fans think and will be more hesitant. If anyone is jumping to the 3-5 spots for a QB, I actually think it's New England. No one has been more aggressive.

1 minute ago, Cypher said:

I legit don't think Carolina would do it. I think they'd be more likely to swap up to 6 with Philly if Lance/Mac drop that far. It seems there's two lines of thinking - teams are going to be scrambling up boards for QBs, or teams aren't as in love with this QB class as fans think and will be more hesitant. If anyone is jumping to the 3-5 spots for a QB, I actually think it's New England. No one has been more aggressive.

Carolina offered 1.8 for Stafford straight up.      They also were all-in on Watson.     

IMO Carolina's not going to let the board dictate who they want.   Their actions suggest this a lot.   Obviously none of us know for sure, but their actions are hard to think they'll hope a guy drops.   That's not been their MO at all this offseason.

1 hour ago, Cypher said:

I almost feel like this locks in Chase to Cincy. Give Burrow his college target. You've shored up LT for now, and Miami is prolly taking Sewell anyway. This is a great move.

IO still think they take Sewell if he's there, but if he isn't, we don't have to decide between reaching for Slater/Darrisaw vs just taking Chase.

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

Reiff has never played Guard but we’ve always made the same speculation on the Vikes board. Feel like he’s a tackle only but he can play both sides.

He said he'd do it to help a team win right before FA started.  Who knows.  They have to take Sewell before this becomes a real question.

18 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Carolina offered 1.8 for Stafford straight up.      They also were all-in on Watson.     

IMO Carolina's not going to let the board dictate who they want.   Their actions suggest this a lot.   Obviously none of us know for sure, but their actions are hard to think they'll hope a guy drops.   That's not been their MO at all this offseason.

I agree, I just don't think all the way to #3 is the move. The rumored offer, the only one that's managed to sneak out, is an absolute joke. According my best recollection, we offered;

2022 1st

2023 2nd

Christian McCaffrey

Shaq Thompson

Teddy Bridgewater

That's not an offer for a 25 year old franchise QB. That's a glorified contract dump. I don't think they were ever serious about Watson. I think Houston heard the offer and laughed them off the phone. Thus why a couple weeks later we're suddenly restructuring Shaq and McCaffrey, making them effectively untradeable.

I think we'll be aggressive, just not #3 aggressive.

9 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Reiff has never played Guard but we’ve always made the same speculation on the Vikes board. Feel like he’s a tackle only but he can play both sides.

And quite frankly, in the case of the Bengals, there wouldn't be the need to kick either of them in immediately.  Slide Sewell inside for the year that Reiff is under contract, because it's not like he's a totally polished project as-is, he's just got such awesome physical prowess and potential.  After a year, you evaluate and make the most educated decision you can; that might be letting Reiff move on and moving Sewell to tackle.  It might be dangling Jonah (with a year further removed from his knee injury) as a potential trade-candidate and extending Reiff long-term (they'll be coming up before too long - granted that's 2-3 seasons away dependent on 5th-year-option - from having to pay Jonah and that's with Burrow not far behind).  It might be Letting Reiff go his merry way, moving Jonah to ROT and seeing whether that might not couple with his injury history to bring down Jonah's extension price tag.  Point is, bringing in Reiff on a 1-year deal should in no way mean Sewell wouldn't be in consideration were he available, it just gives them more diverse options and flexibility.

• Like 2