Steelers fan with a trade offer

Bobby5o

2 minutes ago, Bobby5o said:

Would you trade  rb Dillon for cb Steve Nelson?  Not sure what happened but Nelson wants out. Nelson is a proven start in the league. 

Unlikely... word out of GB was that they targeted Dillion out of like high school. This scouting staff apparently loves him.

So they aren’t likely to trade him at all.

9 minutes ago, Bobby5o said:

Ok, Just curious with you having signed jones and have seen a few mocks with the packers looking for cbs.

This coaching staff is big on having multiple backs and this offense needs a good running game. RBs are likely to get banged up too... Jones has a history of that too.

To be honest I wouldnt be surprised if they draft a RB on day 3.

GB does need a CB but the draft has likely targets at the position GB is likely to draft (Samuel, newsome, etc). Plus with guys like Fuller, Sherman, etc on the market still... doesn’t really put GB in a position to have to press.

Edited by Green19
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobby5o said:

Ok, Just curious with you having signed jones and have seen a few mocks with the packers looking for cbs.

If you offered like for like player then yes you would have a point - a CB is probably more valuable than a RB to us next season. Packers love Dillon but if someone offered us a 2nd then after signing Jones, maybe Gute would consider it.

But seriously ... Nelson is a vet on the last year of a big contract. With the cap status as it is, he has negligible trade value. Its nonsense to compare the value of his contract to a highly rated second year guy at the start of his rookie contract.

If we loved Nelson and were happy to pick up the contract then Nelson plus a second would be about right. The Nelson part of it would be a sweetener if we weren't 100% happy with a second.

I do under stand it wouldn't have been straight up with Nelson being 28 and at the end of his contract. But you never lead with your best offer. If it took Nelson and a 2nd I wouldn't make that trade. The best I would offer is Nelson and a 4th. Would also have Nelson have a contract worked out before hand with the packers.

44 minutes ago, Bobby5o said:

I do under stand it wouldn't have been straight up with Nelson being 28 and at the end of his contract. But you never lead with your best offer. If it took Nelson and a 2nd I wouldn't make that trade. The best I would offer is Nelson and a 4th. Would also have Nelson have a contract worked out before hand with the packers.

Can't speak for the front office but I doubt Packers would be remotely interested in that.  Like I said, given the cap, Nelson's value in a trade is negligible. There's no reason they would consider giving up Dillon for less than they spent on him.  

Why are people having so much trouble grasping the concept that (smart) teams specifically plan on having 2 RBs getting regular carries? This guy thinks Dillon is a trade candidate. Others think he's a wasted draft pick. Just because you pay one it doesn't mean that the other RBs on the roster are wasted or expendable. Giving one RB 300-350 carries is a good way to make sure you'll need a different one in short order. The safest, most sustainable route is a two-headed monster at RB. One of the reasons the Packers spent on Jones is the presence of Dillon, not because they're looking to move on from him. Dillon will limit the miles on Jones which is why the Packers committed decent money to Jones for 2 more years.

Edited by Mr Anonymous

If the Dillon pick and new Jones contract tell us anything, it's that RB is a positions that MLF values more than the typical fan.  I don't know what it would take for GB to trade Dillon, but I'm pretty sure Nelson misses the mark by quite a bit.  Off the top of my head I would think it would either need to be a player of similar youth and upside, or a mid-tier vet with multiple years left on a team friendly contract.  Does PIT have players meeting that criteria who they'd be willing to include in a deal for Dillon?  I am guessing they probably don't, but I don't pretend to know the PIT depth chart.

Accumulating productive players on rookie deals is how you build a contender.  Trading those players for vets on expensive/expiring contracts is how you stop being a contender.