Steelers fan with a trade offer

Bobby5o

I under stand that but it's harder to find a starting CB then a RB. I realize trading Dillon isn't anything they are trying to do. Was just gauging interest. He is a good RB and was hoping the steelers drafted him last year..  The packers always build there team through the draft like the steelers, so trades are not common on either team unless it someone they covent. Signing jones was a smart move. You have to have 2 or 3 backs if you want to contend.

2 minutes ago, Bobby5o said:

If it wasn't a draft pick it would be a young wide out maybe james Washington. But not sure on his contract. But with all the responses I have got we would have to give up more then I'm willing to for dillion. 

Heh... make that Claypool and we'd have something to talk about.

To me, you would really have to knock my socks off to get Dillon.  He has played well in his limited snaps, and he is on a rookie deal for three more seasons.  He only had limited use as a rookie because he was in the Covid protocol for a while, and Jamaal Williams is a pretty good RB.  

Think of it as us asking for Claypool.  He isn't untouchable, but you are going to want a heck of a lot to part with him.

2 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Why are people having so much trouble grasping the concept that (smart) teams specifically plan on having 2 RBs getting regular carries? This guy thinks Dillon is a trade candidate. Others think he's a wasted draft pick. Just because you pay one it doesn't mean that the other RBs on the roster are wasted or expendable. Giving one RB 300-350 carries is a good way to make sure you'll need a different one in short order. The safest, most sustainable route is a two-headed monster at RB. One of the reasons the Packers spent on Jones is the presence of Dillon, not because they're looking to move on from him. Dillon will limit the miles on Jones which is why the Packers committed decent money to Jones for 2 more years.

Agreed in principle - but we want a 2nd RB, we need a 2nd CB.   Therefore if we were offered a like (as in same age, value, contract status) for like CB replacement, we would have to consider it. The situation is we don't have a number 2 CB, we don't have any cap space to sign one and can't bank on hitting on the draft. That's pretty much the only way I could see us parting with Dillon - either an equivalent CB or for a second round pick during the draft if there was a CB we wanted with the pick.

Offering Nelson for Dillon was obviously nonsense and would probably be treated as a prank call if Gute answered it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

Agreed in principle - but we want a 2nd RB, we need a 2nd CB.   Therefore if we were offered a like (as in same age, value, contract status) for like CB replacement, we would have to consider it. The situation is we don't have a number 2 CB, we don't have any cap space to sign one and can't bank on hitting on the draft. That's pretty much the only way I could see us parting with Dillon - either an equivalent CB or for a second round pick during the draft if there was a CB we wanted with the pick.

Offering Nelson for Dillon was obviously nonsense and would probably be treated as a prank call if Gute answered it.

I get that and it's a worthwhile point. The Packers have plenty of opportunity to fill that CB opening without giving up Dillon is the only thing I'd add. But you're right - inquiring about the availability of Dillon and offering a CB is nowhere near as bad as the dopes acting like Dillon is a wasted pick because Jones signed a very team friendly deal.

Edited by Mr Anonymous

11 hours ago, Bobby5o said:

I would take that.. take what we can get. He wants traded or released. So getting draft picks is a bonus 

I'm sure Steelers would take that in seconds and get paperwork done asap before anyone at Packers front office realised their mistake.

4th round picks are valuable this year to navigate the cap problems, the last thing we would do is offer either of them for a veteran on the last year of a deal  regardless of whether he is likely to be cut.

If the front office were happy to take on Nelson's contract and had a plan for paying it then I would probably offer a 7th just to jump the queue of teams hoping to pick him up as a free agent. Its a big if though although we are basically going to write off 2022 and dump everything that can be pushed into 2022 cap hit wise.

Offering both 4th round picks is utter bonkers. 

Edited by mikemike778
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

I'm sure Steelers would take that in seconds and get paperwork done asap before anyone at Packers front office realised their mistake.

4th round picks are valuable this year to navigate the cap problems, the last thing we would do is offer either of them for a veteran on the last year of a deal  regardless of whether he is likely to be cut.

If the front office were happy to take on Nelson's contract and had a plan for paying it then I would probably offer a 7th just to jump the queue of teams hoping to pick him up as a free agent. Its a big if though although we are basically going to write off 2022 and dump everything that can be pushed into 2022 cap hit wise.

Offering both 4th round picks is utter bonkers. 

Correct.  Depending on talent evals and how the draft breaks, we're drafting at CB with our first pick (Now watch....we'll draft a WR :) ) Not unlike a lot of teams - this is a really important draft to HIT on our selections. Contributors all. No misses, reaches or hunches. We need to replenish the talent pool / roster. Bring King back and tape the name Scotty Miller inside his cubicle for daily motivation  - and draft at the position #1 or no lower than #2.