Jump to content

Bills sign TE Jacob Hollister


Recommended Posts

Obviously takes us out of the Ertz running (unless we send them Knox) can't say I'm disappointed at that. I'd rather stand pat, pad out depth and see if Knox takes a step rather than waste unnecessary resources on a guy who hasn't been able to prove out his ability to stay healthy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

To me this is a waste of money and time. It is not an upgrade to Knox and Knox isnt the guy and not sure if he ever will be. We still need to find a #1 TE  on this team while Hollister drops to 3/4 depending on Sweeney and gilliam. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, soflbillsfan said:

To me this is a waste of money and time. It is not an upgrade to Knox and Knox isnt the guy and not sure if he ever will be. We still need to find a #1 TE  on this team while Hollister drops to 3/4 depending on Sweeney and gilliam. 

Hardly a waste of time. A veteran for camp at minimum is needed as Sweeney and Gilliam offer basically no exp.

Hollister isn’t being brought in as the solution at TE but Likely rather a replacement for Lee Smith as a run blocker.

Its also way too early to have any definite statements on Knox. He’s shown more than enough in two years for a guy who was a high school QB and had 39 catches at Ole Miss. He was a raw prospect.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Eagles want a 3rd for Ertz.😂

id much rather roll with Knox as TE1 again for an offense that scored 501 points despite lacklustre TE plays then give up that much value

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, soflbillsfan said:

To me this is a waste of money and time. It is not an upgrade to Knox and Knox isnt the guy and not sure if he ever will be. We still need to find a #1 TE  on this team while Hollister drops to 3/4 depending on Sweeney and gilliam. 

Ehhh i would say he is an upgrade as a #2 TE to Kroft/Lee Smith. Hollister did have 41 receptions coming off the bench last year. He has very limited starting action. Will be interesting to watch his chemistry with Josh Allen

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Eagles want a 3rd for Ertz.😂

id much rather roll with Knox as TE1 again for an offense that scored 501 points despite lacklustre TE plays then give up that much value

I would literally just take a TE in the 3rd round if they're asking for a 3rd lol. 

A healthy threesome of Tommy Sweeny, Dawson Knox and Jacob Hollister is a perfectly fine TE group. Cause, the reality of the NFL is that there is 4 great TE's, one flex spot that a dude who has a career year enters into every year, and then a bunch of "eh maybe".

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

I would literally just take a TE in the 3rd round if they're asking for a 3rd lol. 

A healthy threesome of Tommy Sweeny, Dawson Knox and Jacob Hollister is a perfectly fine TE group. Cause, the reality of the NFL is that there is 4 great TE's, one flex spot that a dude who has a career year enters into every year, and then a bunch of "eh maybe".

I feel the same way. Not like our offense needed much from that position last year anyway 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2021 at 5:20 PM, Trentwannabe said:

Eagles want a 3rd for Ertz.😂

id much rather roll with Knox as TE1 again for an offense that scored 501 points despite lacklustre TE plays then give up that much value

I agree on not giving up a 3rd for Ertz but I do not see Knox as a solution to our TE issue, and i get what your saying about hollister not being a waste but at the same time it is just another body at the TE position. While yes he may fill in for Lee Smith it does nothing to upgrade our offense. Knox is hit or miss and very inconsistent. We are making a push for a superbowl here and we need to count on all of the offensive weapons to be on point. We cant have a simple 1st and 10 pass for 5+ yards where he is open to drop it, which he has done in the past several times. Not to mention those he dropped in the endzone. To me knox is a solid #2 as he has made some plays but we need someone to get over the hump at the position. I think of it the same way with the running game both moss and singletary solid #2 rb but neither will get us where we need to be. Hollister may beat out Sweeney but in no way do I see this as an upgrade to what we have. I felt the same with the kroft move a couple of years ago. When was the last time we had a legit TE? Riemersma I feel like we consistently whiff on this position. To me Knox reminds me so much of Scott Chandler in the sense he made some great plays then the next thing you know it your shaking your head saying why or how did you drop that ball. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

I agree on not giving up a 3rd for Ertz but I do not see Knox as a solution to our TE issue, and i get what your saying about hollister not being a waste but at the same time it is just another body at the TE position. While yes he may fill in for Lee Smith it does nothing to upgrade our offense. Knox is hit or miss and very inconsistent. We are making a push for a superbowl here and we need to count on all of the offensive weapons to be on point. We cant have a simple 1st and 10 pass for 5+ yards where he is open to drop it, which he has done in the past several times. Not to mention those he dropped in the endzone. To me knox is a solid #2 as he has made some plays but we need someone to get over the hump at the position. I think of it the same way with the running game both moss and singletary solid #2 rb but neither will get us where we need to be. Hollister may beat out Sweeney but in no way do I see this as an upgrade to what we have. I felt the same with the kroft move a couple of years ago. When was the last time we had a legit TE? Riemersma I feel like we consistently whiff on this position. To me Knox reminds me so much of Scott Chandler in the sense he made some great plays then the next thing you know it your shaking your head saying why or how did you drop that ball. 

I mean Beane talked to Gronk, we’re rumoured around Ertz and Engram. Probably talked to Smtih and Henry too. It’s not like Hollister was plan A. Besides Knox hasn’t come close to reaching his ceiling, he may never, but to say he is just a TE2 is short sighted. That position takes the longest to fully develop, especially at this level. Fans are becoming so Impatient. You’d think seeing Josh Allen’s jump would remind us that guys take longer and for Knox in particular, he had an injury riddled rookie year followed by a covid year as a sophomore. 

His drops are an issue but also over exaggerated. He had less drops then Kittle and Ertz last season and reduced his percentage from 20 in 2019 to 9% last season. 
 

My final point, the Bills don’t need a 70+ reception guy at TE. Having that takes away from Diggs and Beasley totals. When their offense can do what they did last year through the air despite mediocre TE play, why fork over a big contract or high draft picks for the position when Knox has shown more than enough. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

I mean Beane talked to Gronk, we’re rumoured around Ertz and Engram. Probably talked to Smtih and Henry too. It’s not like Hollister was plan A. Besides Knox hasn’t come close to reaching his ceiling, he may never, but to say he is just a TE2 is short sighted. That position takes the longest to fully develop, especially at this level. Fans are becoming so Impatient. You’d think seeing Josh Allen’s jump would remind us that guys take longer and for Knox in particular, he had an injury riddled rookie year followed by a covid year as a sophomore. 

His drops are an issue but also over exaggerated. He had less drops then Kittle and Ertz last season and reduced his percentage from 20 in 2019 to 9% last season. 
 

My final point, the Bills don’t need a 70+ reception guy at TE. Having that takes away from Diggs and Beasley totals. When their offense can do what they did last year through the air despite mediocre TE play, why fork over a big contract or high draft picks for the position when Knox has shown more than enough. 

I am not saying giving the guy 70+ receptions I am saying that we need someone who is consistent with their ability. The team average catching rate was over 71% with guys that far exceeded that in Beasley and Diggs. Then you have the worst catch rate on the team who was knox at 54.5% it is not only about drops its also about miscues and the inability to make the play. Guys like Beasley and Diggs will always get majority of the passes because they are consistent and reliable. Had Knox been more reliable then Beane wouldn't be reaching out to these other TEs. Bills are in a small window of making to a superbowl while Allen is on his rookie deal, once he gets paid then there are players that are going to fall off as the cap is simply going to be a ton for him. Wentz, Goff, Wilson, Ryan, Flacco when have you seen these guys go to a superbowl after they got paid? Not one has replicated what they were able to do on a big contract because they needed the talent around them and its tough to pay every one. Its not about being impatient with Knox its about being able to get to the superbowl now with Allen being on the cheap and the ability to put the top talented players around him for the next 2 seasons before he receives a 160+ mil deal. The pressure is on Beane and Mcdermott to not only replicate 2020 season but to take the next step further so they know they have to improve in several positions and 1 is TE in which Beane mentioned in his press conference. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...