If the Packers struggle without Rodgers, is it an indictment on Ted Thompson?

RoellPreston88

Is Rodgers' injury an indictment on Ted Thompson? 

Quarterback play has covered up the talent deficiencies on the rest of the team for many years....many, many years.  But a HOF QB means a playoff appearance every single year, regardless of these deficiencies. Now, he could not have seen this coming. But perhaps if Ted had gone and fixed the defense in any year between 2011-2013, 2015 and 2016, perhaps we would have won the Super Bowl one of those years. We certainly had the offense to do it. Instead, we only made the NFCCG once. No one is asking for a Top 5 defense. With this offense, all we needed with a Top 15 defense. But it can't even be average. It's actually terrible. 

This team was a 10-12 win team with Rodgers, because of all the deficiencies he covers up. Without Rodgers? Realistically I can't see another win on the schedule. But if you think that heads will roll because of this, you're wrong. An injured Rodgers is simply a free pass for them. In fact, the only way that any of their jobs would ever be in jeopardy is if the Packers missed the playoffs consecutive years WITH a healthy Rodgers. Of course, that's just not gonna happen, so its rinse and repeat until Rodgers retires... If there's any downside to not having a real owner, it's this.

This injury shows why fans wanted Ted to go all in every year, because we won't be with the best QB maybe ever, forever. And now we are about to see how good (or in my opinion bad) this team really is.

Every team without "the guy" struggles. For as talented as Minn, Houston, etc are they muddle around .500 every year.

Ted is likely to be on par with his contemporaries without a franchise QB and that's around .500.

Also understand he has had to draft in the late 20s the past 8 years... that effects top end talent.

Teams that have amazing talent got that because they draft high in multiple years. Houston has Watt and Clowney because they drafted both top 12. Green Bay hasnt had top 15 since Raji I want to say.

Its all relative. Green Bay doesn't get to 8 straight playoffs without Ted making the Rodgers pick when everyone told him not to. But winning comes with a cost... that's not being in position to draft a von miller, a Zeke Elliot, a Watt, etc.

Depends what my confirmation bias is. So no. If you don't let Ted it'll be yes.

That's all this will be.

If we rally and play well nobody who is anti Ted will give him any credit. Nothing is changing from this.

If we only win one or two I'll probably go dark side though.

No.  People will point to the 2008 Patriots winning 10 or 11 or however many games they won, but people forget that the Patriots went 18-1 the year before.  Their team was stacked with talent, they had an easy schedule, they remained mostly healthy, and they still missed the playoffs.  The only thing you can really blame on Thompson was one draft class (Randall/Rollins), but he tried to fix that miss this year by signing House and drafting King.  So everything that was his fault, he seems to have remedied.  Can't and really shouldn't plan on your top guy getting hurt for the rest of the year.  Hundley could probably keep us competitive for a 2-4 game stretch, but not much more than that. 

12 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

No.  People will point to the 2008 Patriots winning 10 or 11 or however many games they won, but people forget that the Patriots went 18-1 the year before.  Their team was stacked with talent, they had an easy schedule, they remained mostly healthy, and they still missed the playoffs.  The only thing you can really blame on Thompson was one draft class (Randall/Rollins), but he tried to fix that miss this year by signing House and drafting King.  So everything that was his fault, he seems to have remedied.  Can't and really shouldn't plan on your top guy getting hurt for the rest of the year.  Hundley could probably keep us competitive for a 2-4 game stretch, but not much more than that. 

Those who bring that season up...

Let me put it this way. If we won 11 games this year and missed the playoffs. They wouldn't use it as an example of success lol

All of this just makes me more pissed about 2011 and especially 2014. Suffering an injury like this re-emphasizes the point that you cannot miss on those chances. GB was geared up for SB appearances (and possible wins) in 2010, 2011 and 2014, 3 times in the last 8 years (including this year). No one would argue with that success, but when you fall short in 2011 and 2014 it reminds me that Aaron Rodgers may finish his career going to fewer Super Bowls than Eli Manning. And that folks, would be one of the greatest tragedies in sports history. 

1 hour ago, RoellPreston88 said:

Realistically I can't see another win on the schedule

So we don't have a realistic chance vs the Browns?

I know we're uber spoiled by Rodgers but the likes of Glennon, Gabbert, Ponder, Locker and many others have won games in this league over the years. Barring extremes (Hundley playing elite or sucking like a madman) the record this year is a LOT more dependant on our health than on Hundley's play.

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

All of this just makes me more pissed about 2011 and especially 2014. Suffering an injury like this re-emphasizes the point that you cannot miss on those chances. GB was geared up for SB appearances (and possible wins) in 2010, 2011 and 2014, 3 times in the last 8 years (including this year). No one would argue with that success, but when you fall short in 2011 and 2014 it reminds me that Aaron Rodgers may finish his career going to fewer Super Bowls than Eli Manning. And that folks, would be one of the greatest tragedies in sports history. 

Tragic but nothing new in the NFL... See Dan Mario and Peyton with Indy. Eli has more Super Bowls then alot of great QBs. Heck Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson have the same number of Super Bowls as Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Kurt Warner, Russell Wilson, etc.

Roelle - Are you saying Brett Hundley is not a competent QB after 3 years of development?  I don't know how Hundley will do but to claim they won't win another game with him as QB is pretty silly isn't it. You can't see the Packers beating the Ravens or Browns or Bears or Lions or Tampa. Perhaps you are simply the worlds biggest fair weather fan.  I suggest you don't watch another game this year ok bud. Good grief. 

19 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

No way we were winning in 2011. That was about as good as passing attacks get but we had zero run game and couldnt stop the run either.

2014 though..... damn you Bostick... damn you.

4 minutes ago, gizmo2012 said:

Roelle - Are you saying Brett Hundley is not a competent QB after 3 years of development?  I don't know how Hundley will do but to claim they won't win another game with him as QB is pretty silly isn't it. You can't see the Packers beating the Ravens or Browns or Bears or Lions or Tampa. Perhaps you are simply the worlds biggest fair weather fan.  I suggest you don't watch another game this year ok bud. Good grief. 

It's just someone with a strong anti Ted sentiment venting as far as I can tell.

1 minute ago, packerrfan74 said:

No way we were winning in 2011. That was about as good as passing attacks get but we had zero run game and couldnt stop the run either.

2014 though..... damn you Bostick... damn you.

We were the best team that year. It sucks so bad.

Archived