2021 - New York Giants FFMD II War Room

7 minutes ago, rackcs said:

Last call to comment on the current pick. At 10:30, I'm taking Alijah Vera-Tucker unless I get any objections.

If it helps you make your call, Mike picked AVT for the Giants in TCMD at 11, so I think he's vote yes on that pick 

1 minute ago, EaglesPeteC said:

If it helps you make your call, Mike picked AVT for the Giants in TCMD at 11, so I think he's vote yes on that pick 

Yeah, I feel good about the pick but just like to give the war room a chance to give input. They're Giants fans and I'm not so that's part of it.

• Like 1
Just now, rackcs said:

Yeah, I feel good about the pick but just like to give the war room a chance to give input. They're Giants fans and I'm not so that's part of it.

Makes perfect sense. Thanks for stepping in to help keep this moving. Appreciate it

• Like 1

I have yet to watch Vera-Tucker, but the consensus is high on him. I'm good with that pick.

6 minutes ago, rackcs said:

The Giants run a 3-4, correct everyone? Any wrinkles to it or is it a pretty standard 3-4?

The Giants are very, very multiple. They are almost never in a standard 3-4. Generally, you are looking at 3-4 down linemen (Leo, Dexy, Shelton, BJ Hill sometimes) 1-2 linebackers (always Martinez, sometimes Tae Crowder), 2 EDGE (last year was a mess), and then a bunch of corners and safeties. Xavier Mckinney is the 3rd safety, but he is a starter in our defense. Darnay Holmes is a slot corner, but he is a starter in our defense.

If you are ultimately asking about edge defenders, the one thing to keep in mind is that for Patrick Graham and Joe Judge, edge defenders HAVE to be able to set the edge and play the run. Markus Golden was our best pure pass rusher and we traded him for a 6th last year because he couldn't play the run. IMO, that rules out guys like Jaelen Philips but opens it up for guys like Kwity Paye and Carlos Basham.

1 minute ago, minutemancl said:

I have yet to watch Vera-Tucker, but the consensus is high on him. I'm good with that pick.

The Giants are very, very multiple. They are almost never in a standard 3-4. Generally, you are looking at 3-4 down linemen (Leo, Dexy, Shelton, BJ Hill sometimes) 1-2 linebackers (always Martinez, sometimes Tae Crowder), 2 EDGE (last year was a mess), and then a bunch of corners and safeties. Xavier Mckinney is the 3rd safety, but he is a starter in our defense. Darnay Holmes is a slot corner, but he is a starter in our defense.

If you are ultimately asking about edge defenders, the one thing to keep in mind is that for Patrick Graham and Joe Judge, edge defenders HAVE to be able to set the edge and play the run. Markus Golden was our best pure pass rusher and we traded him for a 6th last year because he couldn't play the run. IMO, that rules out guys like Jaelen Philips but opens it up for guys like Kwity Paye and Carlos Basham.

Yeah definitely I was wondering what kind of EDGE you all would be looking at. Also when it comes to interior DL, what type of guy would you all be looking for at that position?

Just now, rackcs said:

Yeah definitely I was wondering what kind of EDGE you all would be looking at. Also when it comes to interior DL, what type of guy would you all be looking for at that position?

Carlos Basham, Kwity Paye, Azeez Ojulari, and Rashad Weaver are good options. I also really like Dayo Odeyingbo (spelling?) for us. Oweh, Rousseau, and Philips are less so IMO.

As far as DI, we should be looking for a Dalvin replacement. We've got Leo locked up and Dexy is a jack of all trades, but despite his size, he can't two gap like Dalvin can. Tyler Shelvin in the 3rd could be someone to look at. Big, immovable guys are most important. Danny Shelton types.

2 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Carlos Basham, Kwity Paye, Azeez Ojulari, and Rashad Weaver are good options. I also really like Dayo Odeyingbo (spelling?) for us. Oweh, Rousseau, and Philips are less so IMO.

As far as DI, we should be looking for a Dalvin replacement. We've got Leo locked up and Dexy is a jack of all trades, but despite his size, he can't two gap like Dalvin can. Tyler Shelvin in the 3rd could be someone to look at. Big, immovable guys are most important. Danny Shelton types.

Oweh is definitely an edge setter but I admittedly am higher on him than others. I'll keep those names in mind. I feel like Payton Turner would fit the mold you're looking for as well albeit he's a bit rawer and might take some time to develop.

And I hear you on the INT. I was thinking the opposite so I'm glad I asked. Not a ton of huge dudes like Shelvin in this class but there are some big, strong types that can fit that role.

1 minute ago, rackcs said:

Oweh is definitely an edge setter but I admittedly am higher on him than others. I'll keep those names in mind. I feel like Payton Turner would fit the mold you're looking for as well albeit he's a bit rawer and might take some time to develop.

And I hear you on the INT. I was thinking the opposite so I'm glad I asked. Not a ton of huge dudes like Shelvin in this class but there are some big, strong types that can fit that role.

I haven't watched Oweh much, so you probably know better than I do. I'm basing it mostly off his athletic profile. Payton Turner is a good choice as well; good call.

We don't need a classic, prototypical penetrating 3T. If Alim Mcneil is there at 46, he might be the pick based on BPA, but the need at interior is moreso on the two gapping run defender than a 3T.

28 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I haven't watched Oweh much, so you probably know better than I do. I'm basing it mostly off his athletic profile. Payton Turner is a good choice as well; good call.

We don't need a classic, prototypical penetrating 3T. If Alim Mcneil is there at 46, he might be the pick based on BPA, but the need at interior is moreso on the two gapping run defender than a 3T.

Thoughts on the trade I talked about earlier? Potentially could move up here to pick again in the mid 1st in the next couple of picks. Would take our 2nd this and next year and our second 3rd rounder.

Would give us the two firsts (OG and EDGE) then a 3rd, two 4ths, a 5th, and 2 6ths still to go. I think it's nice because we hit on the two big needs right away and then still have plenty of picks to add depth with.

Edited by rackcs
5 minutes ago, rackcs said:

Thoughts on the trade I talked about earlier? Potentially could move up here to pick again in the mid 1st in the next couple of picks. Would take our 2nd this and next year and our second 3rd rounder.

Would give us the two firsts (OG and EDGE) then a 3rd, two 4ths, a 5th, and 2 6ths still to go. I think it's nice because we hit on the two big needs right away and then still have plenty of picks to add depth with.

I'd rather stay put. I think that second 3rd round pick is going to be super valuable. I think a lot of talent ends up there. I also don't think really any of these EDGE guys are really worth moving up for. If there was one who stood out, I'd say go for it. But I see a lot of them in the same group and think we may have a chance at one at 46.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, minutemancl said:

I'd rather stay put. I think that second 3rd round pick is going to be super valuable. I think a lot of talent ends up there. I also don't think really any of these EDGE guys are really worth moving up for. If there was one who stood out, I'd say go for it. But I see a lot of them in the same group and think we may have a chance at one at 46.

Yeah, now that I'm hearing what type of EDGE guy the Giants would be looking at, I feel better about waiting a bit. Maybe a smaller jump up if there's a run on pass rushers at some point. But I think there will be decent options down the board a bit.

• Like 1
Just now, rackcs said:

Yeah, now that I'm hearing what type of EDGE guy the Giants would be looking at, I feel better about waiting a bit. Maybe a smaller jump up if there's a run on pass rushers at some point. But I think there will be decent options down the board a bit.

I'm definitely down for a potentially smaller jump, maybe into the early 2nd, if someone is there. But I keep thinking that those 2 3rd rounders are going to be important. I'd really prefer doubling up at interior OL at some point, and the value is most likely going to match there.