2021 - New York Giants FFMD II War Room

ny92mike

@rackcs Really appreciate you taking over the Giants GM duties.  Got back from the hospital yesterday, but still not 100% or even 60% yet, so if you don't mind please continue with the leadership role.  

Happy to give feedback or help you out in any way I can, just not ready to do much more than that unfortunately.  

Also glad to see a few of my fellow Giants fans stepping up to help you out.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ny92mike said:

@rackcs Really appreciate you taking over the Giants GM duties.  Got back from the hospital yesterday, but still not 100% or even 60% yet, so if you don't mind please continue with the leadership role.  

Happy to give feedback or help you out in any way I can, just not ready to do much more than that unfortunately.  

Also glad to see a few of my fellow Giants fans stepping up to help you out.  

Yeah the war room has been very helpful and a great resource. I like the spot we're in and now I'm just monitoring the edge group and we'll see how that shakes out. Definitely where I'm looking for the 2nd round.

And yeah, I've got no problem continuing to take the lead here. Obviously feel free to provide whatever input you want, I'm always trying to listen to you guys here. Hope the recovery is good!

Edited by rackcs

Hello war room! We are 10 picks away, we go on the clock tomorrow at noon so I wanted to get discussion started early about the next pick. Lot of solid DL options on the board both at the EDGE position and INT and I feel we could really go either way here.

Some of the potential guys at EDGE are Jayson Oweh (who I'm super high on but he's very divisivie), Joseph Ossai (who I don't think is a good fit based on what you guys have said), Carlos Basham (who I think it'd be slightly early for), and Joe Tryon (who I also think would be a bit early).

At INT we've got Christian Barmore (who I think is slightly overrated but is decent here in the 2nd), Daviyon Nixon, and Levi Onwuzurike.

I'm leaning Oweh or one of the INT guys here I think but would like to get input from you guys on who think would be the best fits around here.

29 minutes ago, rackcs said:

Hello war room! We are 10 picks away, we go on the clock tomorrow at noon so I wanted to get discussion started early about the next pick. Lot of solid DL options on the board both at the EDGE position and INT and I feel we could really go either way here.

Some of the potential guys at EDGE are Jayson Oweh (who I'm super high on but he's very divisivie), Joseph Ossai (who I don't think is a good fit based on what you guys have said), Carlos Basham (who I think it'd be slightly early for), and Joe Tryon (who I also think would be a bit early).

At INT we've got Christian Barmore (who I think is slightly overrated but is decent here in the 2nd), Daviyon Nixon, and Levi Onwuzurike.

I'm leaning Oweh or one of the INT guys here I think but would like to get input from you guys on who think would be the best fits around here.

I'd be good with either Oweh or Ossai I just feel that the pick value might be a bit high for Ossai this early in the second.  Just finished watching some tape on Nixon, whom I think would be good value here as well.  

Opening up other options, what about Eric Stokes, CB or do you think it's too early for him to come off the board?  I just hate to lock ourselves into one or two positions if better value is on the board.  Wouldn't be opposed to adding another IOL perhaps center if the pick value is there.

I'd say if Oweh is off the board when we pick, that we opt to trade down a few spots and try to recoup that 5th rounder if possible.  I'd be against trading up to acquire Oweh but that's just me, never been a fan of trading up especially this year when I believe there will be value players even in the late rounds.

40 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

I'd be good with either Oweh or Ossai I just feel that the pick value might be a bit high for Ossai this early in the second.  Just finished watching some tape on Nixon, whom I think would be good value here as well.  

Opening up other options, what about Eric Stokes, CB or do you think it's too early for him to come off the board?  I just hate to lock ourselves into one or two positions if better value is on the board.  Wouldn't be opposed to adding another IOL perhaps center if the pick value is there.

I think Ossai is pretty common in the late first, early second round and I like him myself. Not as much upside as some other guys but he plays hard and is refined. Just wasn't sure how good of a fit he was for this defense.

33 minutes ago, Acgott said:

Oweh is good with me. I’m good with trading up for him as well, since I know Coach Chaos is dying to have him back on his team.

I'm not sure about trading up. I like the options available for us at 10 at both edge and int or even other positions if you guys think that'd be wise. Lots of talent on the board right now and I'd honestly be more likely to trade back if Oweh was off the board. 

1 minute ago, rackcs said:

I think Ossai is pretty common in the late first, early second round and I like him myself. Not as much upside as some other guys but he plays hard and is refined. Just wasn't sure how good of a fit he was for this defense.

Fair enough... I'm basing what I said on about 8 minutes of film, from what little I watched he didn't move the tackle as well as I hoped, but I did like his pass coverage skills.

1 minute ago, rackcs said:

I'm not sure about trading up. I like the options available for us at 10 at both edge and int or even other positions if you guys think that'd be wise. Lots of talent on the board right now and I'd honestly be more likely to trade back if Oweh was off the board. 

Yeah I'm personally not a fan of trading up for the same reasons you mentioned.  If Oweh is off the board, I'd be fine dropping 7 to 10 spots to add some additional late round picks.

@rackcs I posted in the discussion thread that we are looking to move down no more than 10 spots.  However, there are a couple teams with later picks looking to move up if either one of these look good to us.  

• The Lions are (potentially) interested in packaging picks #72 and #75 (picks 3.8 and 3.11) for an early-ish 2nd round selection, assuming a player of interest is available.
  • And Cleveland is offering 59 and 92, assuming one of their guys makes it there.

If we opted for either one of these, I pretty certain we could package something that could get us in the range we are looking to be in (mid 2nd).  I'm cool with whatever you feel is best @rackcs.

Edited by ny92mike

I don't like pigeonholing ourselves into one position. Looking at the top available players, Elijah Moore may be available, there are a couple of tackles available, Toney is available, Basham is available (I think he is a top-50 player), etc. Lots of options. I don't want to settle on DL. Right now, the value at OT and WR may lead to one of those being the pick, which I'm absolutely ok with. We had a relative need at both. Asante Samuel Jr may also be available...

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

I don't like pigeonholing ourselves into one position. Looking at the top available players, Elijah Moore may be available, there are a couple of tackles available, Toney is available, Basham is available (I think he is a top-50 player), etc. Lots of options. I don't want to settle on DL. Right now, the value at OT and WR may lead to one of those being the pick, which I'm absolutely ok with. We had a relative need at both. Asante Samuel Jr may also be available...

I wasn't necessarily trying to pigeon hole us, but I felt many of the names at those positions were good value around here as evidenced by the fact that most of them are now gone. Basham I value like mid-late second personally but could go for him here if enough people like it. I just think there could also be some solid, better value EDGE guys available at the top of the 3rd. Are slot CB or WR a position you guys want to go here because I'm a big fan of both Moore and Samuel Jr. and could go for either one of them definitely. Another name I like here is Landon Dickerson but I'm not sure you guys want to go iOL back to back like that.

Our time slot if 12-1 so we're coming up here very soon. I kinda think I want to go Moore here. Shepard is good but is injured often and his contract becomes very cuttable next offseason. So you roll with Shepard for another season while you develop Moore and make use of his speed and playmaking in a lesser role this upcoming year. Thoughts?

Edited by rackcs

25 minutes ago, rackcs said:

I wasn't necessarily trying to pigeon hole us, but I felt many of the names at those positions were good value around here as evidenced by the fact that most of them are now gone. Basham I value like mid-late second personally but could go for him here if enough people like it. I just think there could also be some solid, better value EDGE guys available at the top of the 3rd. Are slot CB or WR a position you guys want to go here because I'm a big fan of both Moore and Samuel Jr. and could go for either one of them definitely. Another name I like here is Landon Dickerson but I'm not sure you guys want to go iOL back to back like that.

Our time slot if 12-1 so we're coming up here very soon. I kinda think I want to go Moore here. Shepard is good but is injured often and his contract becomes very cuttable next offseason. So you roll with Shepard for another season while you develop Moore and make use of his speed and playmaking in a lesser role this upcoming year. Thoughts?

Big fan of Samuel believe he's a day one starter as the third cornerback.  Moore would be solid value here too, also like Wallace but I'm a OSU homer.

Agree with you about the edge rusher value.  Also not opposed to drafting another IOL.  I don't believe Will Hernandez is the answer unless he shows something at RG because he clearly can't play the LG position.  

I know this probably isn't helping you out much, but in terms of the names you listed I'd be happy with any of those with this pick or even a trade down.