Seahawks re-signs RB Chris Carson long term

ACO

I just do not get why they drafted a running back in the first round a few years ago if he is never going to get a real shot. I get he has been hurt, but so has Carson. Penny has looked good when he gets his carries. Could have brought in someone else cheaper to compete with Penny and spent that money in the trenches. I am just a fan though, so what do i know. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Landog3 said:

I just do not get why they drafted a running back in the first round a few years ago if he is never going to get a real shot. I get he has been hurt, but so has Carson. Penny has looked good when he gets his carries. Could have brought in someone else cheaper to compete with Penny and spent that money in the trenches. I am just a fan though, so what do i know. 

Penny is coming off shredding his knee, missing pretty much all of 2020, and when he came back showed nothing. There is zero reason to believe he can be a bellcow at this point. Plus, he has his 5 year option looming next year, and is at this point, a complete unknown. You know what you are going to get with Carson, so Penny is set up to prove it or lose it in 2021. 

Carson's 2021 cap hit is 2.5 million.. This kind of signing has zero impact on what Seattle can do financially. They needed to restructure/ open additional space prior to the Carson signing anyway (they were like 425K under) You'd will not find a replacement for Carson at or near that 2.5 mark in 2021 and they should still be able to add FA's.

Edited by animaltested

25 minutes ago, animaltested said:

Penny is coming off shredding his knee, missing pretty much all of 2020, and when he came back showed nothing. There is zero reason to believe he can be a bellcow at this point. Plus, he has his 5 year option looming next year, and is at this point, a complete unknown. You know what you are going to get with Carson, so Penny is set up to prove it or lose it in 2021. 

Carson's 2021 cap hit is 2.5 million.. This kind of signing has zero impact on what Seattle can do financially. They needed to restructure/ open additional space prior to the Carson signing anyway (they were like 425K under) You'd will not find a replacement for Carson at or near that 2.5 mark in 2021 and they should still be able to add FA's.

100% agree with this.

I'm shocked another team didn't match or beat this offer. Miami, NYJ, Arizona all could've easily afforded this and gave themselves a great committee option at the very least. 

Seeing the actual breakdown of the deal, it's really not a big deal.  Not really what it was portrayed as "on the surface" initially.  That's really about the right level of commitment and cost, for a RB like Carson i'd say.  He's very, "meh" and often injured, at a position that's probably the easiest to rummage around and find a bunch of at least "serviceable" guys in the draft, or throw a bunch of pennies at some veterans who might each give you a handful of games worth of legs per year.  So any serious commitment seemed weird.  But the "three year deal" with what seemed like significant money, really turning out to be a 2 year gig with fairly limited money makes a lot more sense.

10 hours ago, Tugboat said:

He's very, "meh" and often injured

Oft injured, sure, but anyone who thinks Carson is just “meh” isn’t paying attention. He has an excellent combination of power and agility, very good hands, and a sturdy blocker. He’s amongst the league’s best backs in yards after contact since joining Seattle. He’s a perfect fit for any power running team. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

Oft injured, sure, but anyone who thinks Carson is just “meh” isn’t paying attention. He has an excellent combination of power and agility, very good hands, and a sturdy blocker. He’s amongst the league’s best backs in yards after contact since joining Seattle. He’s a perfect fit for any power running team. 

Yea I’m not happy to see him back with Hawks, surprised other teams couldn’t beat the contract he’s resigning for. Would much rather see Penny and Dallas in backfield for Seattle being a niners fan.