1st Round QB: The Last Piece of the Puzzle?

dhunt2402

Man am I disappointed. The Jimmy G option was one I wanted the least. I just don’t see what BB sees here, whether blind love or arrogance and wanting to prove a point but as others have said here already he isn’t a great long term franchise QB.

I’ve seen some shocking takes on Twitter and PatsFans with people seriously suggesting we trade our 1st to “bring him home”, I guess I just don’t get it. SF get their shiny new toy (an overpay for the 3rd best option sure but still), and we get their broken castoff. Anything above a 3rd rounder to bring him back (on a seriously negotiated lower contract) would be a huge overpay. I’d honestly rather roll with Cam again if not.

I’ve also seen a lot of “great let’s bring back JG and then draft [insert your favourite day 2 QB]”, and I also don’t think this is realistic. BB has carried 4 QBs on the roster before but let’s be real here, Cam ain’t getting cut and I’d think they’d see benefit to keeping Stidham around if not purely for his 3 years in the system. So IMO if we bring him back, our QB room is gonna be Jimmy G, Cam and Stidham. 

Of course, BB has never done what the media expected him to do, which is the only slight glimmer of hope I have here. Whoever SF takes 3rd between Lance and Fields leaves the other (and Jones) still on the board. Or we take the BPA and get that day 2 guy, but honestly I think Jimmy is here long before Jacksonville announce Trevor with the 1st pick.

10 hours ago, Starless said:

Only way I want JG back is if he signs for the vet minimum. He's a VASTLY depreciated asset in my view, and in no way an improvement over Cam. 

I agree I can't stand what I'm hearing.  The stuff they are saying and if true BB is a freaking idiot. 1/2 Rd picks! SF are in no position to dictate terms. They can hold on to him next year that's it, let them and wait.

JG has no trade, they start to Gorden Haywood crap, it could blow up in their face. JG pulls a Watson.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I think a trade back now. 

Next year we need to do what SF just did. If we are around 15-20 next year, mortgage the draft class and get into top 4.

@Starless good point about next year's crop. I'm going to look now because we aint getting a top 5 QB this year

Agreed, but no time like the present if the opportunity presents itself tbh.

I’ve been on this site long enough to know every fan base who needs a QB is always like “none of these QBs are worth the investment, we should take [insert BPA non QB], next years QB class is better/will be less expensive.”

At the end of the day if Bill likes one of these QBs he needs to do whatever it takes to get them.  If he believes in Jimmy G he needs to find a way to get him.  If he really believes in Cam, then fine, I’m willing to give that another chance with better supporting cast.  There’s no such thing as a value play at QB and punting it down the road is a mistake. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Next year we need to do what SF just did. If we are around 15-20 next year, mortgage the draft class and get into top 4.

@Starless good point about next year's crop. I'm going to look now because we aint getting a top 5 QB this year

I agree 99.9%. The only reason to stay (maybe) is CB still at 15. I'm changing my mind every day now! The 2nd RD CBs  really look appealing (more info on them)  as the draft gets nearer.

I would also go with a trade down. I would love in the 1st and 2nd RD.  Collins, Mond and CB (2nd) such as

Eric Stokes, Robert Rochell, Tyson Campbell,  Ambry Thomas.

Also I have not look at the 2022 QB draft class but heard it not that promising. We'll see.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mission27 said:

I’ve been on this site long enough to know every fan base who needs a QB is always like “none of these QBs are worth the investment, we should take [insert BPA non QB], next years QB class is better/will be less expensive.”

At the end of the day if Bill likes one of these QBs he needs to do whatever it takes to get them.  If he believes in Jimmy G he needs to find a way to get him.  If he really believes in Cam, then fine, I’m willing to give that another chance with better supporting cast.  There’s no such thing as a value play at QB and punting it down the road is a mistake. 

I agree in general. Yes do what ever it takes but to a point. I could care less about draft capital when it come to a QB. I have to believe BB knows the market.

What I don't agree with " At the end of the day if Bill likes one of these QBs he needs to do whatever it takes to get them"  My reason just becasue BB wants something doesn't mean doing something stupid to get it. EX SF wants a number 1 for JG the only team that wants JG at this  point is Pats The Pats have no competition for him. So do you give up a 1st is just crazy and stupid and add lazy as well.

You can't name one team in the NFL that wants a 30 year old QB with a broken down body made of glass with injury list a mile long. The only market is the Pats and you allow them to fleece you and dictate terms ?

Edited by m haynes

10 hours ago, m haynes said:

I agree in general. Yes do what ever it takes but to a point. I could care less about draft capital when it come to a QB. I have to believe BB knows the market.

What I don't agree with " At the end of the day if Bill likes one of these QBs he needs to do whatever it takes to get them"  My reason just becasue BB wants something doesn't mean doing something stupid to get it. EX SF wants a number 1 for JG the only team that wants JG at this  point is Pats The Pats have no competition for him. So do you give up a 1st is just crazy and stupid and add lazy as well.

You can't name one team in the NFL that wants a 30 year old QB with a broken down body made of glass with injury list a mile long. The only market is the Pats and you allow them to fleece you and dictate terms ?

I trust Bill not to get fleeced.  He also shouldn’t get outbid, if jimmy is his guy.  If anyone knows how to make a trade happen it’s him.

17 hours ago, mission27 said:

I completely agree, I just think the path there is too hard this year due to 4 or 5 QB needy teams in better positions 

On 3/28/2021 at 4:20 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

I completely agree, I just think the path there is too hard this year due to 4 or 5 QB needy teams in better positions 

True, but most of those teams have some sort of potential option at QB (Darnold and Tua and Jimmy G types) and more problems outside the QB position to address.  The Pats are a QB away from super bowl contention and have no realistic long term option on the roster.  I would think we would be among the most aggressive teams out there.

Not to mention, the Darnolds and Tuas of the world are going to get a chance somewhere.  So if those teams decide to move on they probably end up filling a QB need somewhere else.  Could even be NE tbh.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely the missing piece to the puzzle and it feels to me like they know it. Like you said, with the influx in spending, they have now positioned the roster to the point where they can afford to trade up. 

Sounds like Atlanta is actively trying to move down, per schefty. That makes sense with Ryan’s contract restructure. Presumably Carolina is now out of the picture.

I’m praying they trade up. The answer cannot be them selling themselves on another year of Cam + a mid round rookie. Get aggressive.

35 minutes ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

I’m praying they trade up

I don't see this happening.

I would assume that the Broncos would have a better package for ATL. The Bronco take Fields. I would stay at 15 and pray that Lance falls to the Pats. Than I would trade the pick to the sucker with the highest bid.

Lance  is a complete reach. He's fools Gold another Jordan Love. Mel Kiper special. .

• Like 1

I likely believe in Josh a lot more than most.. but I feel he could make a top 15 QB out of any of the top 6 guys ( Mond being 6). My excitement for a QB in this draft will depend entirely on what SF does.. if they take Jones/Lance I'm all in on going after Fields. I honestly believe Josh could put him in a position to succeed with his skillset and be a top 5 guy in this league. I have a hard time believing SF wont take Fields.. but I'm crossing my fingers that they don't and he falls. 

If SF picks Jones.. you've got an outside shot that Denver falls in love with Lance and Fields drops into the Pats lap... incredibly unlikely but possible. I would 100% trade 3-4 picks to jump into the 4-8 range and take Fields though .. this team needs a QB and you can't waste a year if you have a chance to get a guy now. 

• Like 1

On 4/7/2021 at 3:10 AM, Crimmage said:

I likely believe in Josh a lot more than most.. but I feel he could make a top 15 QB out of any of the top 6 guys ( Mond being 6). My excitement for a QB in this draft will depend entirely on what SF does.. if they take Jones/Lance I'm all in on going after Fields. I honestly believe Josh could put him in a position to succeed with his skillset and be a top 5 guy in this league. I have a hard time believing SF wont take Fields.. but I'm crossing my fingers that they don't and he falls. 

If SF picks Jones.. you've got an outside shot that Denver falls in love with Lance and Fields drops into the Pats lap... incredibly unlikely but possible. I would 100% trade 3-4 picks to jump into the 4-8 range and take Fields though .. this team needs a QB and you can't waste a year if you have a chance to get a guy now. 

We might have to try and get to 8. Even if someone comes in to 4, QB will still be on the cards. 15 seems too far away. Washington is going after Lance, it feels like