1st Round QB: The Last Piece of the Puzzle?

dhunt2402

1 minute ago, Starless said:

they're not trading him RIGHT NOW because they can't because his current cap number makes it very difficult to trade him. If they restructure his deal, that'll make it feasible.

But I think the most likely possibility is that they cut him. 

You think they will start a rookie right away? 

Just now, The Third Rider said:

But if they are planning on cutting him why would they even announce he is not tradeable. That doesn't make sense....

There's a difference between a team's public pronouncements and what they actually do behind the scenes. You've been around long enough to know that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Starless said:

just get Mills on day 2.

I would be BS with Mills in day 2.

He has major holes in his game and he is also a pockets passer that needs major time to develop. Many question if he will ever be good enough to be a staring QB. You can't have your offense held hostage waiting for a "maybe" to develop. You can't design an offense that goes in two directions, it has to be one or the other.  They take him over Mond I would have to go to Walmart for a new TV. I wouldn't touch him until at least the 4th round, if at all.

The only reason they take Jones is that they think he's ready in year one. I love Jones however if they think he will have to sit for a year i would pass on him if he's there at 15 and trade the pick and go after Mond who will learn the same offense CN runs.  You have to go in one direction.

EX that's like having Lamar Jackson as your starter with Dan Marino as a backup!!! It doesn't work.

Forgot, if they do draft Jones, Mills than comes into play becasue he fit the offense.

Edited by m haynes

1 minute ago, Starless said:

There's a difference between a team's public pronouncements and what they actually do behind the scenes. You've been around long enough to know that.

I think they probably want to have their new QB ride the bench for a year (depending who the Jets pick) but if a good enough offer comes in they will make it happen. Some team will be left without QB and might make a dumb trade.

I don't particularly see the disadvantage to having QBs with radically different skill sets, tbh. This is something I've thought about a lot. It depends a lot on what their development plan would be for the guy they draft. But if they plan on putting him in mid-season and run a very different variant of the offense, that could create problems for opponents in scheming against him. So I'm all for it. 

They do run a QB friendly offense, but if they really feel they can jump back into Super Bowl contention it seems like a poor decision to throw a rookie out there. Personally I would keep Jimmy around for one more season unless you get at least a second rounder ( then trade a 3rd/4th for Minshew to be the bridge like you mentioned). 

They can compete now with a QB who knows what they are doing, no point wasting a year when you can just as easily develop that QB for a season and let him start next season. 

4 hours ago, m haynes said:

Why do I have in my head Pats trade Gilmore or Jackson for JG. I thing the media have pounded in my head that's what's  BB wants Jimmy. I should know better

I am a Jimmy G denier but for that straight up swap it is worth it, for the Pats at least. Not so sure about for the Niners though. I hope no pick is given up in this tear or next years draft within the first two rounds to get G.