The Bludgeoning Patriots

Hunter2_1

Is THIS the team we thought we had in Brady's last year?

Many of us saw what we had done the year prior in the playoffs with Michel, then we added a BIG receiver in the first round, and drafted some American and European beef on the lines, Damien Harris at RB and we assumed we were turning into a real ground and pound / wear teams out offense whilst allowing Brady an armchair ride into his sunset. We assumed 2-1 and 2-2 personnel, big body football.

One of us called BS on this, I can't remember who. Show yourself! I feel like it may have been @The Third Rider ?

It did not turn out like this. We finished 18th in rushing, we were still Tom's Patriots going 12-4.

Look at us now though...

Wynn (311lbs) / Onwenu (375lbs) / Andrews (300lbs) / Mason (313lbs) / Brown (360lbs)  = 332 average

For comp, this was probably the best run blocking line last year:

Wills (319) / Bitonio (315) / Tretter (306) / Teller (315) / Conklin (316) = 314 average

With the TEs now, you can imagine a goal line package like this

Harry..........Smith....Wynn, Onwenu, Andrews, Mason, Brown..Henry..........Bourne

Newton

Harris/Rex

What are we doing? There's 4 RZ targets there, so we must be passing? It's 1-2 personnel, so we're actually running? No fullback though?

We could put the fullback in, take a WR out, and have 5 players that are endzone options either on ground or through air. Cam has to be covered too. How do you cover Smith, Henry through the air with your S/LB but leave Cam and also cover the RB?

I remember Bill explaining why it's hard playing Oakland a few seasons ago. "Everyone's big. QBs big, RBs big, Receivers are big, TEs are big....kicker's big! Everyone's big and that really does take a toll".

Everyone is big on our offense now, apart from Jules and a RB or two

Edited by Hunter2_1

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Smith.... Asiasi Wynn, Onwenu, Andrews, Mason, Brown..Henry

Newton

Keene

RB

I like this set up as a short yardage and red zone package. RB is determine on the play or what team they are playing. I like JJ Taylor in this package. Why. SMALL, quick ,bounce out side and catch. SMALL because they won't see him behind the line!!!

There is no way on the planet that the other team will not bring in the beef to stop this and if that happens, QB checks and spreads them out!!! Game set and match!!!!😁

Smith.... ........................  Asiasi Wynn, Onwenu, Andrews, Mason, Brown..................................Henry

Newton

<<<<< Keene>>>>>>>>

RB

Keene  motions or shift to TE position. Many options

Edited by m haynes

3 hours ago, m haynes said:

I like this set up as a short yardage and red zone package. RB is determine on the play or what team they are playing. I like JJ Taylor in this package. Why. SMALL, quick ,bounce out side and catch. SMALL because they won't see him behind the line!!!

There is no way on the planet that the other team will not bring in the beef to stop this and if that happens, QB checks and spreads them out!!! Game set and match!!!!😁

Smith.... ........................  Asiasi Wynn, Onwenu, Andrews, Mason, Brown..................................Henry

Newton

<<<<< Keene>>>>>>>>

RB

Keene  motions or shift to TE position. Many options

I did think of Keene at FB, but how often did he try that last season? Did we ever see Asiasi and Keene on the field at the same time?

I think they could be done already. 

Who's Henry?