Jump to content

Jaguars extend Logan Cooke


Recommended Posts

59 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

 

There's fa punter out there right now who could be had for the cheapest contract potentially and he's easily top 15 in the league

And who is that?  And aside from somehow knowing that they're going to be available for the absolute vet minimum (which seems dubious), do you know that they're going to be able to be locked in for 4 years at that rate?  Or are you just going to be back in the market looking for a solid Top-10 punter again next year, and the year after, and so on...?

 

You have to judge this Cooke contract in terms of locking him up to square away the punting situation for years to come.  Not just, "we could save several dollars this season" with some other option that isn't as good.

 

39 minutes ago, pwny said:

The difference between 3M and the vet minimum over the next four seasons is going to be less than 1% of the entirety of the cap. I have no idea why anyone would concern themselves with worrying about that when locking up the most viable option at a position.

Exactly.  It's a miniscule actual difference right now, to lock up and square away a solidly Top-10 punter not just right now...but more or less through Lawrence's rookie deal.  So in year's 2, 3, 4 of that all important QB contract where the real differences are made in the salary cap structure...we'll have a solid Punter locked up on what will probably become a mid-lower tier veteran punter salary by that point.  No fuss.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

We're literally complaining about giving a top 5-10 punter $3M per, which is market value for exactly that.

Ok.

Cuz we don't need to spend on a punter. 

Look at what the pats do on special teams. 

Keeps their pk\replace when old or declining but they seemingly rotate punters out after a 4 years or so. 

The pats have had 9 punters since 2000(I'm calling it since the brady draft years). 

The pats have had 5 kickers in that same period and arguebly can cross 1 off cuz he was an injury replacement.  They have had some difficulty figuring their kicker replacement 3 over the last 2 seasons. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

Cuz we don't need to spend on a punter. 

Look at what the pats do on special teams. 

Keeps their pk\replace when old or declining but they seemingly rotate punters out after a 4 years or so. 

The pats have had 9 punters since 2000(I'm calling it since the brady draft years). 

The pats have had 5 kickers in that same period and arguebly can cross 1 off cuz he was an injury replacement.  They have had some difficulty figuring their kicker replacement 3 over the last 2 seasons. 

 

Of all of the Punters they got rid of, literally one of them ever played a full season with another team after that. That Punter played one game for the Pats. They weren’t cycling Punters just to cycle them. They moved on because they weren’t a starter caliber player.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

The pats have had 5 kickers in that same period and arguebly can cross 1 off cuz he was an injury replacement. 

Also weird that you'd make this distinction, but for punters, you counted two different guys who had 10 punts for the team each and played a combined 3 games

 

 

Here's the guys they moved on from who actually played any meaningful amount of games for them.

Lee Johnson Punted for the team from 1999 until 2001, when he was cut midseason. He then played in 6 games out of a potential 27 out of the next two years before retiring.

Ken Walter took over for Johnson and Punted through the 2003 season. His y/p in his final season was an abysmal 37.7. He then played 10 games over the next two years as an injury replacement before retiring. 

Then Josh Miller was there for three years through 2006. He got injured to end his time with the Pats. He was able to play one more game after that.

They then moved on to Chris Hansen, who played there from 2007 until 2009. His final season, his Y/P dropped by four full yards over the year prior. He was never able to play for another team after he was done.

Then on to Zoltan Mesko. He was the punter for 2010 through 2012. He wasn't retained after having his worst Punting year of his career to that point. Then he went on to Pittsburgh where he was cut midseason. He never played after that year.

Then they had Ryan Allen. Allen played for the Pats for six seasons. After that, Allen was cut by three different teams over the next two years.

 

The Pats move on from Punters when they're done in the league. That's it. There's nothing else to whatever you're trying to pull from the data.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2021 at 11:35 PM, pwny said:

Also weird that you'd make this distinction, but for punters, you counted two different guys who had 10 punts for the team each and played a combined 3 games

 

 

Here's the guys they moved on from who actually played any meaningful amount of games for them.

Lee Johnson Punted for the team from 1999 until 2001, when he was cut midseason. He then played in 6 games out of a potential 27 out of the next two years before retiring.

Ken Walter took over for Johnson and Punted through the 2003 season. His y/p in his final season was an abysmal 37.7. He then played 10 games over the next two years as an injury replacement before retiring. 

Then Josh Miller was there for three years through 2006. He got injured to end his time with the Pats. He was able to play one more game after that.

They then moved on to Chris Hansen, who played there from 2007 until 2009. His final season, his Y/P dropped by four full yards over the year prior. He was never able to play for another team after he was done.

Then on to Zoltan Mesko. He was the punter for 2010 through 2012. He wasn't retained after having his worst Punting year of his career to that point. Then he went on to Pittsburgh where he was cut midseason. He never played after that year.

Then they had Ryan Allen. Allen played for the Pats for six seasons. After that, Allen was cut by three different teams over the next two years.

 

The Pats move on from Punters when they're done in the league. That's it. There's nothing else to whatever you're trying to pull from the data.

 

I don't know whether to be impressed or disturbed by your extensive knowledge of the pats' punting history. 🤔

- charles 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Charles said:

I don't know whether to be impressed or disturbed by your extensive knowledge of the pats' punting history. 🤔

- charles 

The only thing i know about Patriots punters, is that Bill has a weird left foot fetish.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...