FFMD21 WFT War Room - Draft Starts 3/29

MKnight82

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Been out of commission for a couple days. We traded #19, Scherff, and a 7th or 3rd for the 4th overall pick? What a coup. I wish it turned into Wilson or Fields though :( 

Me too...

Props to MKnight for the trade. If we traded #19, Scherff, a 3rd & 7th to move up for the #4 pick?

And THATS all it cost us? I'd be grinning ear-to-ear.

Because of what we could land at #4, Scherff being VERY overrated imo & the anticipation of what this team is going after.

Of course, all that would end as I throw my plate of Spaghetti at the T.V. because we reached for a QB who is more of a project than Haskins was.

With Kyle Pitts on the board. A 6'6 TE who can run a 4:4 40 yard dash....or Devonta Smith or Jamar Chase. 2 WR's who are studs & projected to go top 10 & would make us even more dangerous on offense. Or. A Franchise LT in Sewell who could be our next new HOF LT that we've been lucky to find over the past 20-25 years like a new rotation of tires.

Yes, I'd be pretty pissed at taking Lance @#4. Hell, I don't want him at 19.

So I hope Rivera & company do the right thing.

Which is stay put at 19, or at least be patient & let the draft come to them.

not do what the Niners just did a few days ago & give away their future to have the #3 pick in Hoping they got it right.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

Because Fitzmagic can win football games.

Lance could be worse than Haskins, if that's possible.

Why draft a Lance, when you can have Fitzmagic?

I agree about Lance, but we got to be serious about Fitzpatrick.  He is a placeholder at best.

Even the staff doesn't have real conviction for Fitzpatrick.  If they did, he would have been signed to more than a 1 year deal.  

This move would be ironic though.  Rivera decides to go the safe route by signing Fitzpatrick and then drafts the biggest boom or bust qb in the draft.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, offbyone said:

I agree about Lance, but we got to be serious about Fitzpatrick.  He is a placeholder at best.

Even the staff doesn't have real conviction for Fitzpatrick.  If they did, he would have been signed to more than a 1 year deal.  

This move would be ironic though.  Rivera decides to go the safe route by signing Fitzpatrick and then drafts the biggest boom or bust qb in the draft.  

Andy Reid did it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, offbyone said:

This is why I said he was the best of bad choices for me. I don't view any of the veteran QBs available as someone we can build a team around. If we went with another QB, the tendency would be for people to say "let's just keep X and draft other positions". That gets us into mediocre QB play for years to come.

Nuh uh. 

For me, I WANT there to be a placeholder at QB this year while we either draft the guy and he sits, or we get the LT or whomever (or hopefully just trade out and pick up a 2022 1st rounder and get our QBOTF in 2022). 

The fact that Fitz is old and a placeholder is actually a feature for me that I like. There's no "let's just roll with him and sign him to a 5 year contract". I know it doesn't make much sense to some and I don't have time this week to explain it fully, but that's why when I looked at the QBs available, I went with Fitz as the most likely veteran QB they should sign. The "least worst" option if you will.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

Andy Reid did it.

Alex Smith + Mahomes?  I think I see the comparison although I am pretty sure he signed Alex Smith to a long term deal years before Mahomes was drafted.  And Alex Smith was still considered to be in his prime years at the time of his deal in KC.  

4 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

The fact that Fitz is old and a placeholder is actually a feature for me that I like.

That is a good perspective.   The draft is so weird this year with the limited college football season.  QBs are being drafted even higher than usual.  It stinks having to go another year without a qb of the future, but forcing it results in an even worst outcome long term.  And who knows, Heinicke could shock the world.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Alex Smith + Mahomes?  I think I see the comparison although I am pretty sure he signed Alex Smith to a long term deal years before Mahomes was drafted.  And Alex Smith was still considered to be in his prime years at the time of his deal in KC.  

That is a good perspective.   The draft is so weird this year with the limited college football season.  QBs are being drafted even higher than usual.  It stinks having to go another year without a qb of the future, but forcing it results in an even worst outcome long term.  And who knows, Heinicke could shock the world.

That’s what I was saying and no the scenario isn’t exactly alike but it would be a similar spot. It’s essentially having someone with a different set of strengths groom you to hopefully rub a trait off on a player that they aren’t already good at to improve their game.

Just now, ovfd55 said:

@MKnight82did New England offer you the trade they said for 4 or was that what they claimed to have offered Atlanta for 4.

New England never contacted me. The only firm offers we had for 4 was Carolina offering 8, a 3rd and future 2nd, then KC offered their 3rd and 4th and two mediocre players.  The Bengals, Dolphins, Lions and Broncos all said they weren't interested in moving up.

1 minute ago, MKnight82 said:

New England never contacted me. The only firm offers we had for 4 was Carolina offering 8, a 3rd and future 2nd, then KC offered their 3rd and 4th and two mediocre players.  The Bengals, Dolphins, Lions and Broncos all said they weren't interested in moving up.

Figured they didn't since you didn't mention it,Weird thing is I woulda prob took that trade then pull a Dolphins and try to trade back up afterwards

Reads as if a few team are jealous we got 4 and Lance though which is a good thing

Just now, ovfd55 said:

Figured they didn't since you didn't mention it,Weird thing is I woulda prob took that trade then pull a Dolphins and try to trade back up afterwards

Reads as if a few team are jealous we got 4 and Lance though which is a good thing

Ya I mean if we had traded out of 4 two things would have happened:

1. We would have lost Trey Lance.  Anyone willing to move to 4 was taking him. 

2. We would of had a good draft but would have been like, hmmm man this roster would be good if we only had a QB.

28 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Ya I mean if we had traded out of 4 two things would have happened:

1. We would have lost Trey Lance.  Anyone willing to move to 4 was taking him. 

2. We would of had a good draft but would have been like, hmmm man this roster would be good if we only had a QB.

Always still time to trade his rights to the highest bidder. 

6 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

All of the teams that needed a QB have one except for Pats

Robert Kraft needs to keep up his spending spree and dole out the picks and players. Haha.

Better for the purposes of this that we keep him. 

Any takers on any of our other QBs? Solid depth to be had.