Jets sign DL Sheldon Rankins

Bianconero

I like the player and l'll never turn down DL depth tbh, especially when it's a guy that rushes the passer.

Not someone I expected to be on our radar though. He's been injured the last couple of seasons so who knows how he'll look. Wonder if this was a pivot after missing on some other big contacts.

Edited by Sandwhich2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Move makes no sense.

We need starters in areas and we are getting a guy that will rotate in on our strongest position group on the roster.

Money should be spent literally anywhere else than IDL

The FA market is pretty low now and you will have trouble finding a starter. This is just depth move and it is cheap too. The guy can be very good IF healthy. 

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Move makes no sense.

We need starters in areas and we are getting a guy that will rotate in on our strongest position group on the roster.

I love this move and it makes a ton of sense. We are bolstering the DL with young, talented guys that can rush the passer. The ability to rotate pass rushers in and out to keep them fresh is extremely valuable. 

https://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41107519-4

DT Sheldon Rankins, a guest this morning on SiriusXM NFL Radio, explained why he picked the Jets. "When (Robert Saleh) called me and expressed his interest and how much he really wanted me to be a part of this, the vision he had for me and Quinnen (Williams) inside and Carl (Lawson) on the edge, it got me fired up," said Rankins, claiming his injury issues are over. Both Rankins and Williams are best as 3-techniques. If Rankins plays the 1-technique (NT), it puts Foley Fatukasi on the bench.

I take back what I said earlier. Saleh knows what he wants on defense, especially the front 4. This defensive line is going to get after it and I love that. Our other DTs might not be as much of a fit. Things are changing here. Going to take time but I love that the coach is helping make the calls here. Get players you see fit and go to work. Going to have young corners if we draft a starter. A good 4 man rush can help mask some growing pains. 

10 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Move makes no sense.

Have to agree with you, UNLESS ???, the Jets are going to clean house to some extent on the D line. Actually I'm waiting for the other shoe to fall, like who's going to be traded, released, cut. Because JD needs some cap space for this year and next. I like the fact that only 2 players have guaranteed contracts over a 2-3 years span.

The way I see it, we were in the market for one more member of the front line on D...I think most of us assumed we would be adding another DE on the edge, kicking Lawson or Franklin-Myers/Zuniga inside on passing downs (and Fatukasi on the bench). Instead, it seems to me we are going to use Fatukasi and Hankins interchangeably, depending on the situation. Fatukasi on earlier downs, Hankins as more of a situational pass rusher. The Niners used Dee Ford in that role (he rarely started) and paid big money for him. So, I believe that is the mindset here.

I think we are done with the D line now until the draft, where I expect an edge DE to be selected on day 3.

2 hours ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

The way I see it, we were in the market for one more member of the front line on D...I think most of us assumed we would be adding another DE on the edge, kicking Lawson or Franklin-Myers/Zuniga inside on passing downs (and Fatukasi on the bench). Instead, it seems to me we are going to use Fatukasi and Hankins interchangeably, depending on the situation. Fatukasi on earlier downs, Hankins as more of a situational pass rusher. The Niners used Dee Ford in that role (he rarely started) and paid big money for him. So, I believe that is the mindset here.

I think we are done with the D line now until the draft, where I expect an edge DE to be selected on day 3.

I’d personally be drafting another edge within the first three rounds this year. Just keep adding them every year. 

On 3/22/2021 at 9:24 AM, Bianconero said:

https://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41107519-4

DT Sheldon Rankins, a guest this morning on SiriusXM NFL Radio, explained why he picked the Jets. "When (Robert Saleh) called me and expressed his interest and how much he really wanted me to be a part of this, the vision he had for me and Quinnen (Williams) inside and Carl (Lawson) on the edge, it got me fired up," said Rankins, claiming his injury issues are over. Both Rankins and Williams are best as 3-techniques. If Rankins plays the 1-technique (NT), it puts Foley Fatukasi on the bench.

Saleh played Buckner at the 1-tech at times. Both Q and Rankins can play that role in a similar way to Buckner. Going back to those 49ers DL with Buckner probably gives us the biggest glimpse as to what Saleh wants to do. Rush Lawson from the 9-tech, Q or Rankins for 3-tech, Q or Rankins from 1-tech, and for now Franklin-Myers from the 5-tech. We will need Mosley and Davis to really be aggressive and protect against the run though. We could get gashed on the ground.

Look for us to get up field quickly. Honestly, I’m excited. I think it’ll be fun to watch Q pin his ears back and go. All-Pro Q here we come.

Edited by SDotNova