Trade option for #1

slagel

If you are Jacksonville, do you pursue this option? The premise is that Jacksonville believes that Sam Darnold has the potential to be a decent starting qb. Jacksonville trades the #1 overall pick for Sam Darnold, the #2 overall, #23 overall and a second or third next year. Next Jacksonville moves the #2 pick to Carolina for #8, #39, a 2022 first and a 2022 second or third. At #8 the Jags take either Sewell, Slater, Chase, Smith, Waddle or Pitts (I'd take Pitts). At #23 they take someone like Mayfield, Newsome or Bateman (I'd take Mayfield) depending on who they take at #8. I know Trevor is suppose to be special, but you move him and get Darnold, Pitts, Mayfield plus 3/4 more high picks. Jacksonville needs more help than just a qb, and this move allows them to load up on young talent. What are your thoughts on this?

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Going to piggy on this thread, if Houston called and offered the #1 pick for Deshaun Watson, who says no?  Let's assume for a second that the sexual assault lawsuits never happened.

There is no way Jacksonville would have ever made that trade. If Houston wants to alienate their superstar QB and try to rebuild with something else, a division rival isn't going to bail them out and give them a different franchise QB in return. 

1 hour ago, pwny said:

There is no way Jacksonville would have ever made that trade. If Houston wants to alienate their superstar QB and try to rebuild with something else, a division rival isn't going to bail them out and give them a different franchise QB in return. 

This.

And as far as the thread, no.

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

There is none.  You take Lawrence, and ride that bus until it dies.

If you're going to make a trade, you don't do it for a bust. You do it for an established star or for Zach Wilson, if you like him better.

Agree with the consensus. If they have doubts about Lawrence, it’s still probably an uphill battle to trade away the chance to draft him. Trading for a ton of picks has a ceiling, because you can only re-sign so many guys.

If you trade the first, you better do it for a ton of picks spread out over several years, or win a Super Bowl in the next two years.

Drafting a guy who’s from near your team’s hometown, who played for a college near the team’s hometown, and who played in multiple NCGs winning one is just too big an opportunity.

Only way I think they do it is if the staff and FO have serious doubts about Lawrence, and also really like another QB. Then they could trade down to pick 2 and take that QB instead with lots more picks. And even then, I don’t know, probably not a savvy move.