Trade option for #1

slagel

If I'm Jax, I'm taking the 'surest' thing QB prospect in a few drafts now. Even if he busts, as a GM I could hang my hat on that everyone had him evaluated as such and would have taken him #1 overall..

Hypothetically though, in this scenario If I was entertaining the trade with Jets, I wouldn't ask for Sam Darnold. I would know I'm either landing Lawrence/Wilson or Fields with the #2 pick and I'd pull the trigger on that. I'd instead make the Jets give me another on roster, proven NFL player(s) in the deal, or a couple future 1st round picks instead. 

• Like 1

No, I wouldn't do that. QB is the most important position and Lawrence is highly regarded as a prospect. I was a big Darnold fan coming into the 2018 draft and I wouldn't move my future for him back then let alone 2020 Darnold. 

Edited by Chargers

No reason to take Darnold.  We already have Minshew and he is probably better than Darnold at this point.  Having said that, there is no package of picks and players that I could imagine being worth giving away Trevor Lawrence.  If you have a chance at an elite franchise quarterback, you have to take it.  You can always get the rest later.  Players like Trevor don't come along very often, and even when they do, it's rare that you also happen to be in position to draft him.  The Jaguars have already won the draft.  They just have to keep from overthinking it and giving it away.

On 3/28/2021 at 3:17 PM, CWood21 said:

Going to piggy on this thread, if Houston called and offered the #1 pick for Deshaun Watson, who says no?  Let's assume for a second that the sexual assault lawsuits never happened.

I would absolutely say no for the following reasons:

- Even though Lawrence is unproven, I think he will be just as good or better.  I'll gamble on this prospect.
- If you take on Watson, you also take on a massive contract.  With
Lawrence , you have him on a rookie deal.
- The Texans are a division rival.  Why help them out by taking a malcontent off their hands and dropping a player right in their laps who could be just as good, and cost them millions less for the next 5 years?  Let the Texans trade Watson out of the division and keep Lawrence so you don't have to play against an elite quarterback twice a year for the next decade.  Up to now, the Texans had the best QB in the division.  Starting next year, the Jaguars will have that.  Let your division rival trade their guy out of the division and you can enjoy watching them spend years trying to replace him.

Edited by Uncle Buck
  • Like 1

Urban Meyer wasn't entering the league unless his fortunes were tied to Trevor Lawrence. It seemed obvious during his commentary on college games. That's why I immediately brought up Urban Meyer in the thread last fall devoted to NFL coaching candidates for 2021, and likewise on a Dolphins forum when fans were laughing at the Jets I posted that if they get Lawrence it also likely means Urban Meyer as head coach.

I think Meyer made up his mind during Lawrence's freshman season and really didn't care about any throws Lawrence made the past two seasons. Meyer quietly sent out feelers toward a staff. Then the only thing he had to dodge was some fluke disastrous season by a team with an established coach earning the first pick.