FFMD 2021 mock - draft complete. Judge? - UFA starts at 10am

Posted (edited)

Picked Kary Vincent Jr , I didn't feel any edge was good enough value , so decided to go with the next best guy on most ppl list 

4 picks left 

7 x 3 (extra 1 for trading nelson)

Edited by Cbrunn
  • Like 1

Just to weigh in... I don't mind the back to back secondary picks.  I think Wiggins is an athletic freak that Tombert loves at the spot, and is, at worst, a special teams demon.  Vincent is more of a true slot corner guy who can pressure the PS guys and earn some nickel time if they want to keep Sutton outside.

Sounds like the plan was Sutton as CB #2, and sliding to slot for nickel with Layne/Pierre as the outside CB.  This gives us some flexibility.

Also allows Brooks to move to Big S/Box LB full time and push Allen as the Nickel LB/Dimebacker.

Moving on, we have #216 (6th), #246, #255, #259 (7ths).  216 is like 50/60 picks from now (SATURDAY NIGHT!!!!)

Working list (kurgano's faves)--

Edge- Malcom Koonce, Charles Snowden, William Bradley-King, Tarron Jackson

ILB-Tony Fields, Buddy Johnson

WR-Tamorian Terry, Shi Smith, Cornell Powell, Trevon Grimes

TE-Kenny Yeboah, Tre' McKitty, Luke Ferrell, Matt Bushman

NG- Khyris Tonga, Bobby Brown, Forrest Merril

Posted (edited)

I know such a long wait . It sucks watching so many guys go off the board.

Great list will keep it updated once we're a bit closer to the pick 

There goes snowden and the fsu edge as well as tommarin Terry

Edited by Cbrunn
11 hours ago, Cbrunn said:

Looking more at JOK and I'm disappointed we didn't take him now 

Oh well live and learn

Etienne is a RB you can build an entire offense around/lean on, a la Dalvin, Kamara, Aaron Jones etc. JOK would be an amazing addition for the defense but Etienne has a bigger immediate impact and is a bigger need IMO. 

Last year my flag plant was Cam Akers, this year it is Etienne. 

Edited by bigben07MVP
  • Like 2
10 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Etienne is a RB you can build an entire offense around/lean on, a la Dalvin, Kamara, Aaron Jones etc. JOK would be an amazing addition for the defense but Etienne has a bigger immediate impact and is a bigger need IMO. 

Last year my flag plant was Cam Akers, this year it is Etienne. 

I think Etienne is a much more complete back than I gave him credit for earlier in the process. Dude has a powerful lower body. He has good contact balance and can break tackles. Plus he's got game breaking speed. He's my favorite back in the draft. 

• Like 2

LOTS of TEs left... we can pick who we want for sure.  I think Yeboah won't make it, but everyone else is still there.

For me, the value is at Edge.  Koonce or WBK would be great fits and would be Edge #3 right away.  Then a TE based on value alone.

Updated kurgan list (25 ish picks)--

Edge- Malcom Koonce, William Bradley-King, Tarron Jackson

ILB-Tony Fields, Buddy Johnson, Garrett Wallow

WR-Cornell Powell, Trevon Grimes, Simi Fehoko, Dax Milne

TE-Kenny Yeboah, Tre' McKitty, Luke Ferrell, Matt Bushman

NG- Bobby Brown, Forrest Merrill

OTHER/NOT POSITIONAL NEEDS: Jimmy Morrissey C, Pitt; Felipe Franks QB, Arkansas; CJ Marable RB, Coastal Carolina; Max Duffy P, Kentucky

Posted (edited)

I like that list I'd add 

Daelin hayes (who some ppl have mocked to us in like the 4th)  

* Daelin Hayes had an impressive day, showing good speed for his size and very good movement skills

And derrick Barnes (who the team likes and could be a Vince Williams replacement)

Edited by Cbrunn

I like all of those TEs that @kurgan listed, sans Bushman. Yeboah and McKitty are good pass catchers, Ferrell is a guy that could be so much more in the NFL than he was in college. Bushman is coming off an achilles and is older. I'd pass on him.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Cbrunn said:

Over daelin hayes?

I would take Koonce or WBK over Hayes.  I don't think he is a scheme fit at all, and is a one dimensional pass rusher.

3 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I like all of those TEs that @kurgan listed, sans Bushman. Yeboah and McKitty are good pass catchers, Ferrell is a guy that could be so much more in the NFL than he was in college. Bushman is coming off an achilles and is older. I'd pass on him.

Yea... those are in order, for sure.  Bushman is only if we get to the end and haven't taken a TE yet.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Finally we have a pick again today guys 

Basically most places have Hayes way ahead of WBK , hayes is usually a fringe top 150 prospect with the possibility of playing buck too  

Seems like Ferrell is the kind of guy needed to pair with Ebron, a guy capable of doing the dirty work 

As of now I'd rank them 

Hayes 

Dimukeje

Ferrell 

Mckitty 

Barnes 

WBK 

Koonce 

But obviously if you guys want WBK that's the route we'll take

Edited by Cbrunn

Victor djimuke (spelling probably wrong) 

Is also interesting, ran a better 3 cone then all those guys 6'2 260 ...and has decent production to go along with it

Jesus... Bengals took draft crush Ben Mason.  That is gonna suck for the next 10 years.

4 hours ago, Cbrunn said:

Finally we have a pick again today guys 

Basically most places have Hayes way ahead of WBK , hayes is usually a fringe top 150 prospect with the possibility of playing buck too  

Seems like Ferrell is the kind of guy needed to pair with Ebron, a guy capable of doing the dirty work 

As of now I'd rank them 

Hayes 

Dimukeje

Ferrell 

Mckitty 

Barnes 

WBK 

Koonce 

But obviously if you guys want WBK that's the route we'll take

Draftnetwork (who I trust the most in this process, TBH) has Dimukeje at 116, WBK at 168, Koonce at 171, and Hayes at 174.

But, all that notwithstanding, I look for scheme fits.  They are all good picks here at 216, so I think we just look at the players.

Hayes is an attacking style player in ND's defense.  Be played mostly 4-3 DE, but is looking to transition to a SAM backer.  While his measurables are great, he does not fit what we do.  He is not a coverage backer, or a standup edge rusher.  If we are projecting him to Vince's replacement, he has never played there and in my opinion, EDGE is a much bigger need.  Pass rush is his calling card, and I just don't think we need that.

Dimukeje is interesting to me, but we would have to envision him going from a 4-3 base end to a 3-4 standup OLB and/or an 5 tech.  His production for me is great and his measurables are good, but we would be asking him to change his playstyle.

WBK and Koonce to me are in the same boat.  It is whether you wan't a higher floor or higher ceiling.  Both are 6'3", 250, which is where we like our OLB.  Both already play OLB in a 3-4, and don't have to learn a new position.  WBK is a higher floor player and a guy that to me is perfectly fine and will be a good rotational OLB in our system.  He could, 100% take all the Ola/Chick snaps as OLB #3.  Koonce, to me, is a much higher ceiling but good be a bust prospect.  He is all measurables and athleticsm, and production is OK.  I would worry about the jump in comp from Buffalo, but we like small school edges.  But, when he is on in tape... wow.  He can set the edge in the run game AND get after passers.

Now, I am not saying Dimukeje or Hayes can't make the transition... Chick did it.  I guess I am of the opinion that we need an Edge #3 (Cassius Marsh??) and we have been lucky to get two plug and play guys make it here.  I naturally look at more toolsy wildcard guys here later in the draft (Koonce), but given our dire Edge situation, I can totally see WBK as the guy.

For this pick, I would rank them:

1. WBK/Koonce (I know cheating, but I can see either one)
  2. Dimukeje (has a better chance to transition IMO)
  • Like 2
  • Cbrunn changed the title to FFMD 2021 mock - draft complete. Judge? - UFA starts at 10am