Addressing Personal Weaknesses

TLO

If you compare yourself to others you may feel inferior or superior, depending on their competence.

If you compare yourself to your ideal self you will feel inferior. 

If you compare who you are to who you were yesterday you can male gradual healthy progress.

• Like 1

My thing lately has been self-improvement and keeping a positive mindset. And I came to this conclusion regarding personal weaknesses:

If someone criticizes you in a constructive way, or tells you what you are weaker at than strong at, it isn't a condemnation of you. Criticism is the recognition by someone else of your great potential to improve or strengthen yourself. 

This can also be applied to when you are looking inwardly or even if someone criticizes you in a non-constructive way. Just roll with it. They might still be right. I've spent the last several years turning some of my own perceived weaknesses into strengths, and this mindset has helped me a lot. 

FWIW, I am an addiction counselor, so I think over topics like this a LOT. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, carl_sjunior said:

If someone criticizes you in a constructive way, or tells you what you are weaker at than strong at, it isn't a condemnation of you. Criticism is the recognition by someone else of your great potential to improve or strengthen yourself. 

I have the opposite problem.

Its hard for me to offer constructive criticsm. I accept it really well.

That will be good advice for me to frame my criticism in the future

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Cancer is my weakness. I have no control over it and no idea how my body was unable to fight it off. My doctor is very straight the point. He could tell me I'm dying or I'm going to live in the same monotone way with no emotion. 

They told me brain surgery didn't hurt because you have no nerves in your brain. LIES! It's the most pain I've ever experience in my life. Carving an opening into your skull isn't fun especially went they leave you wide awake for the entire process. 

How to address and deal with your weaknesses? Depends on the weakness?? If it's something that doesn't matter or can't change - I'm fine with it as long as it doesn't interfere with life too much. If it's something I know I should change, I work on it or let the REAL weakness take over; laziness! LoL

8 hours ago, TENINCH said:

Cancer is my weakness. I have no control over it and no idea how my body was unable to fight it off. My doctor is very straight the point. He could tell me I'm dying or I'm going to live in the same monotone way with no emotion. 

They told me brain surgery didn't hurt because you have no nerves in your brain. LIES! It's the most pain I've ever experience in my life. Carving an opening into your skull isn't fun especially went they leave you wide awake for the entire process. 

Omigosh, I'm sorry to hear that you're dealing with this! Keep fighting on (I know easier said than done ..but for real!) Also, I don't think this is a strike against you - it's nature, not a weakness.... rt!?

• Like 1

I pray to my conception of God, I’m not a religious person by any means but over time have developed my idea of what god is. For me it comes in many forms like nature for example. 

It’s weird to type and to talk about because when I see god I think of religion but it doesn’t always have to be. 

it’s helped me in many ways and am still developing a relationship with my higher power. 

*please delete if this breaks forum rules* 

On 4/27/2021 at 12:55 PM, Heimdallr said:

It is OK to look back and cringe at some of things you did when you were younger - that just shows you've grown

This happens to me all the time, and that rationale is basically what helps me stop beating myself up.