Desean Jackson signs with Rams

RamRod

On 3/26/2021 at 6:32 AM, Flounch said:

Maybe i'm wrong but it looks like the base salary is more than the veteran minimum.

I don't doubt it is, but the vet minimum is always going to be the starting point for bases.  If we wanted, and I think we pretty clearly did, the protection of playing-time-tied (i.e. injury-related) incentives driving the bulk of the "guaranteed" money in the contract (versus signing bonus), we likely had to come a shade above the vet minimum as a starting point.  It's easy for fans to assume that demand would be low on a veteran player, that doesn't mean it's the case.

Also, good class or not, it's naive to expect rookie receivers to come in and produce at the caliber of a veteran right out the gate unless you're spending a premium pick on them.  I think we learned that lesson last year.  Do some guys hit early?  Absolutely.  But it's far from an exact science, especially with guys drafted outside of the Top 40 picks.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Dr LBC said:

I don't doubt it is, but the vet minimum is always going to be the starting point for bases.  If we wanted, and I think we pretty clearly did, the protection of playing-time-tied (i.e. injury-related) incentives driving the bulk of the "guaranteed" money in the contract (versus signing bonus), we likely had to come a shade above the vet minimum as a starting point.  It's easy for fans to assume that demand would be low on a veteran player, that doesn't mean it's the case.

Also, good class or not, it's naive to expect rookie receivers to come in and produce at the caliber of a veteran right out the gate unless you're spending a premium pick on them.  I think we learned that lesson last year.  Do some guys hit early?  Absolutely.  But it's far from an exact science, especially with guys drafted outside of the Top 40 picks.

All a rookie will likely have to do to out perform DJax is be healthy and active on game days unfortunately. 

• Like 1