I'm curious who you guys like with our 1st round pick

Admittedly I haven't watched much college football for about 2 years now, so I'm way out of the loop in terms of prospects. I had my first kid last year and my life revolved around working every waking hour so I've really fell behind on how much prospect nerding I'm used to

I'm of the belief that the front office surprises us and goes with a WR but the majority are saying defense, so who are some of the guys you like the most that are in play with our 1st rounder? If you could, offer the name, position and why you think they're good enough for that pick so I can start researching a bit. I understand I could go look at mocks and prospect rankings but I want my fellow diehards to give me what they got so I can start digging in a bit

1. Gregory Rousseau NO MATTER WHAT.
2. Jaelan Phillips.
3. Greg Newsome.
4. Trade down.
5. Ifeatu Melifonwu.
6. Rondale Moore.
7. Jayson Oweh.

I'm all about Rousseau, even if it requires a big trade-up. I love the idea of him playing an inside/outside game. He can basically play our UT in Nickel/Dime packages and be our Base DE in our 4-3 stack lineup.

Edited by LinebackerGod

I still like Zaven Collins and Daviyon Nixon more than any other players (at semi-reasonable positions of need) in the draft, but I don't think we'll take either of them.

Some may disagree, but I think the team and Berry have a track record for drafting for need (we've kind of had to in the bad years) as opposed to drafting BPA. With that in mind I'm not including anyone at a position outside of DE and CB because that's who I think we'll ultimately take especially when you consider how little the team values LBs. 

1. Trade the house for Danielle Hunter

2. Kwity Paye/Gregory Rousseau: The ultra talented but not ultra productive group

3. Boogie Basham: The "I think he'll do everything we asked of Olivier Vernon but nothing more" guy

4. Greg Newsome/Asante Samuel Jr: The best zone corners in the draft, but have red flags group

5. Trade Down (can't even think of a team that would want to move to 26)

6. Ronnie Perkins/ Payton Turner: The we've reached but maybe they turn into amazing ends group

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, LinebackerGod said:
20 minutes ago, Reginaldm9 said:

Gregory Rousseau: The ultra talented but not ultra productive group

But Rousseau was ultra productive...

Yeah I don’t Know how someone could say 19.5 TFL 15.5sacks and 50+ tackles as a DE isnt ultra productive...

1 minute ago, buno67 said:

Yeah I don’t Know how someone could say 19.5 TFL 15.5sacks and 50+ tackles as a DE isnt ultra productive...

As a freshman. Unless he's saying it from a "reps" standpoint, but I'm not really worried about that tbh.

25 minutes ago, LinebackerGod said:

As a freshman. Unless he's saying it from a "reps" standpoint, but I'm not really worried about that tbh.

I’ve seen some people point out a lot of those sacks were unblocked/cleanup types.

Unless there is a guy that possesses few question marks that falls to us, I would ideally like to trade down. The only guys I would be completely comfortable drafting in the 1st round that might be available at our pick are: Micah Parsons, Patrick Surtain II, Trevon Moehrig (use Ronnie Harrison as more of a LB if Delpit is ready), Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, and Caleb Farley. If none of those guys are available and we don't have a decent trade down offer, I would be happy yet slightly worried about taking any of: Kwity Paye, Gregory Rousseau, Jaycee Horn, Zaven Collins, Greg Newsome II, Jayson Oweh, Christian Barmore, or Asante Samuel, Jr.

I wouldn't be entirely uncomfortable with the idea of bringing in the best available player at a position where we are relatively strong either if the right guys falls. Guys like Devonta Smith, Kyle Pitts, Rashawn Slater, Penei Sewell, or one of those other top guys might be too much value to pass up even if we have to be creative to get them on the field early.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’ve seen some people point out a lot of those sacks were unblocked/cleanup types.

To be fair, that is what we need with Miles on the other side.  He will bust the olay but not quite get home.  We need Robin to his Batman.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I would say those people were wrong. He had one sack that looked unblocked but that’s because he defend the chop block well and it gave him an easy lane. I’ll never ding a guy for clean up sacks. Clean up sacks shows me the dude had a motor and doesn’t stop. Also it would seem he would get a lot of “clean up “ sacks in Cleveland because of Garrett. Also if we are going to rule GRs as clean up sacks than Garrett had  at least 4 clean up sacks last year