Giants sign CB Adoree Jackson; 3 years, $39 million

Turnobili

1 minute ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Philly couldn't match that. Would love to know our plan for CB2. Nobody out there. Will be miserable watching our joke of a secondary trying to cover these NFCE WR.

You have to save that money for Joe Flacco

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

James Bradberry and Adoree Jackson are the outside corners. Darnay Holmes in the slot. Logan Ryan, Jabrill Peppers, and Xavier Mckinney are the 3 safety rotation with Julian Love being able to play anywhere as well. 

That's a top 5 secondary on paper right? It better be with what we've dedicated to it. 

I called it last year, but man letting Bradberry go and instead re-signing Shaq Thompson has to be one of the dumbest things we've ever done.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

2 things. I don't see McKinney "rotating" with Peppers or Ryan, McKinney is going to be a flat out starter. Having said that, on paper, it's definitely gotta be considered a top secondary imo. 

They are all starters. We regularly only have 1 actual LB on the field (Martinez).

The most fun part of this signing is that the Giants defense is going to be completely different next year. We were trotting out JAGs last year at CB2. Corey Ballentine, Isaac Yiadom, and Ryan Lewis. Patrick Graham loves man heavy schemes, but couldn't run them because of personnel. We were running a zone defense almost exclusively. Get ready for the opposite in 2021. You can throw out your 2020 Giants defensive tape. Should be a lot of fun to watch. 

11 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Yeah but TEN had to field Adoree Jackson, so this doesn't really apply to the Gian...oh

He only played a few games last year. 

That does lead me to my one concern with the big Giants signings this year- availability. If Golladay and Jackson check out and your doctors say they are good, then you've done what you can do. Injuries are random. Injury histories, especially recently, always worry me though. Both Golladay and Jackson played only a few games last year due to injury. 

12 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

This will likely be the Giants' problem as well.

Giants tied with the Colts last year for 12th most team sacks with 40. That was with starting David Mayo at edge for about 4 games after Lorenzo Carter, Kyler Fackrell, and Oshane Ximines all got hurt (Carter and Ximines will be back this year). WFT had 47. Tennessee had 19. There are ways to scheme pressure without having a 'stud' edge rusher, and Patrick Graham is very good at doing that. 

2 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Giants tied with the Colts last year for 12th most team sacks with 40. That was with starting David Mayo at edge for about 4 games after Lorenzo Carter, Kyler Fackrell, and Oshane Ximines all got hurt (Carter and Ximines will be back this year). WFT had 47. Tennessee had 19. There are ways to scheme pressure without having a 'stud' edge rusher, and Patrick Graham is very good at doing that. 

Sacks are a terrible way to judge, especially as a predictive tool.  Too much randomness. 

Giants were dead last in PRWR last year.

image.png.6670b6f27932a09ff075f357dc050c

Serious Q - who were the Giants bidding against at that rate? I mean, he got 2/26M+ guaranteed.   So much for the value tier on that deal.   

I get it from a roster perspective - build a strong secondary.   But that's a lot of scratch for a #2 CB who hasn't really proven himself, either.  And I'm the guy who keeps saying that by 2022 - some of these deals will look like bargains.  I don't see it unless Jackson realizes all of his ceiling - but the floor of below average play is certainly possible.  Given the risk/reward, and the $ outlay in this market, can't say I'm really a fan of this for NYG.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Serious Q - who were the Giants bidding against at that rate? I mean, he got 2/26M+ guaranteed.   So much for the value tier on that deal.   

I get it from a roster perspective - build a strong secondary.   But that's a lot of scratch for a #2 CB who hasn't really proven himself, either.  And I'm the guy who keeps saying that by 2022 - some of these deals will look like bargains.  I don't see it unless Jackson realizes all of his ceiling - but the floor of below average play is certainly possible.  Given the risk/reward, and the $ outlay in this market, can't say I'm really a fan of this for NYG.

I'm asking this sincerely: has Jackson not proven himself? I've only watched very little of him myself, but the consensus I got from people who had and grading sites is that he is a confirmed very solid cover guy.