Yearly stab at the mock draft. 3/23

Epyon

The draft I'd be happiest with from the ones I've run draft sims with.... I was actually trying to build a draft out where we go heavy OL and draft Javonte Williams in the 2nd, then hammer the absolute crap out of ball on the ground with Williams/Monty all game...... You'll see below that plan failed pretty hard with how the board was breaking for me.

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/user-mock-drafts/2021

1. (20)....... Mac Jones-QB...... I'll be honest I wasn't expecting him to be available, and was set to go OT..... Devonta Smith-WR was actually also available here weirdly enough and I was tempted, but gotta get that QB...  Outside of the "top 4" QBs, this is the only one I like. I don't like Trask, and I'm not seeing it with Mills.... Mac Jones I think has the anticipation and accuracy to be the guy, and I'd definitely take him over Lance, and probably take him over Fields at this point on my board (though in both cases, that's more of an indictment of them, than a roaring vote of confidence in Jones)

2. (52) D'Wayne Eskridge-WR  This is my current favorite pick for the second round, and I'll grab him each and every time I'm able. I actually wanted Javonte Williams-RB here, but he constantly goes off the board in the very early second, and I just don't see a way he's possible.

3. (84) Quinn Meinerz -IOL   A number of directions I could have gone here, this was the best OL value on the board. He was dominant at the Senior Bowl.

5 (165) Josh Imatorbhebhe-WR  6ft2in WR from UofI, with a downright insane 46.5' vertical...... We need a developmental bigger WR behind Robinson, this is a good shot on extreme upside.

6. (205) Cole Van Lanen-OT   I'd wanted OT earlier in this draft, and almost invariably take one in the first for most of my mocks, but this one broke down differently. There's also a guy coming out next year I would have taken this year, so I can be a bit measured here.

6. (209) Jaret Patterson-RB  He's not a Javonte Williams, but this kid runs super hard, and the value here is extraordinary. He can slot in behind Monty.

6. (222) Sam Ehlinger-QB   Yeah, we're doing this. Not one qb, but TWO qbs. Ehlinger by all accounts is the kind of guy dudes will run through brick walls for, even if he's not the most talented QB.... We also have his former coach on staff.....He can develop into a backup or as insurance vs Dalton or Jones getting hurt.

7. (229). Tommy Doyle-OT  I knew absolutely nothing about him and made this selection entirely because of his thedraftnetwork profile "Tommy Doyle is a three-year starter at offensive tackle for the RedHawks offensive front. With experience at both right and left tackle, he’s been able to prove that he’s capable of playing on either side. An extremely strong player at the point of attack, he uses his strength to overwhelm matchups at the point of attack. Also possessing adequate grip strength, he’s capable of creating gaping lanes as a run blocker. Having average athleticism overall, he must continue to develop as a pass protector. Entering the NFL, he’s a project that some teams may want to get their hands on in order to further develop his game overall."

Kicking a 7th for a developmental long shot on the OL is fine by me.

Edited by Epyon
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Epyon said:

6. (222) Sam Ehlinger-QB   Yeah, we're doing this. Not one qb, but TWO qbs. Ehlinger by all accounts is the kind of guy dudes will run through brick walls for, even if he's not the most talented QB.... We also have his former coach on staff.....He can develop into a backup or as insurance vs Dalton or Jones getting hurt.

YES!!! Thank you! Makes perfect sense. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

I was thinking the same, and at worst they can slide into G. Just ask @dll2000about that. 

If I was a GM I might never draft a G unless he was Q. Nelson caliber.  Only Ts and Cs.   Guards are generally fillers.   

Coaches at HS level put their best big men on DL first, then OT or C and lastly G.   Most college football coaches are too lazy or incompetent to convert them and NFL coaches simply lack time.   

If you could figure out a good way to convert DL to OL post college you would really have a secret sauce for finding untapped talent.

Same with converting college basketball PFs to TEs or DEs.   Or baseball pitchers to QBs - this would be hardest because it takes many years to hone QB instincts.   BB point guards could make transition easier.

If there were a true farm system in NFL outside of CFB quality and depth would be much, much higher.   You could start training foreign athletes too.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

If I was a GM I might never draft a G unless he was Q. Nelson caliber.  Only Ts and Cs.   Guards are generally fillers.   

Coaches at HS level put their best big men on DL first, then OT or C and lastly G.   Most college football coaches are too lazy or incompetent to convert them and NFL coaches simply lack time.   

If you could figure out a good way to convert DL to OL post college you would really have a secret sauce for finding untapped talent.

Same with converting college basketball PFs to TEs or DEs.   Or baseball pitchers to QBs - this would be hardest because it takes many years to hone QB instincts.   BB point guards could make transition easier.

If there were a true farm system in NFL outside of CFB quality and depth would be much, much higher.   You could start training foreign athletes too.

If there was a good way to keep teams from being able to poach your talent via simply signing or drafting them once trained and viable teams could gain a huge advantage by creating their own little private farms.

I can't think of any way given draft system.  

It would also be a large expense though which is why everyone is probably cool with current system.   CFB is free.  

An entrepreneur with a large amount of capital could do it from player side.   Train them for free, but athletes have to agree to give X percentage of any future contracts or earnings to farm system.

If I won a large lottery I might try something like that.   Those contracts might be illegal now though.   

I remember a story about Billy Joel giving up rights to all his future songs for some rent money.   He eventually got out of that deal.    Idea would take some research.  

I like the kirk cousins scenario.  Ehlinger is the perfect Kirk cousins.  Realistically we are probably going to need 4 QBs this year. Foles and Dalton are going to get injured.  You’ll need Sam holding the clip board.  

I also like that this draft is organic.  No trade ups mortgaging the future.  I really think it would be a big victory if Pace doesn’t screw this team up long term.  

• Like 1

Chicago Bears
Kyle Pitts
TE, Florida

Chicago Bears
Kyle Trask
QB, Florida

Chicago Bears
Davis Mills
QB, Stanford

Chicago Bears
Elerson Smith
EDGE, Northern Iowa

Chicago Bears
Drew Himmelman
OT, Illinois State

Chicago Bears
Alaric Jackson
OT, Iowa

Chicago Bears
Chris Evans
RB, Michigan

Chicago Bears
Thomas Graham Jr.
CB, Oregon

• Like 1

From Draft Network Draft simulator try.

Seems improbable, but hey I'll take Pitts at 20.   Got two QB prospects with upside for Bears to ruin.  

I don't even care about rest of picks.  ISU kid is 6'9 and 300+ though.  That is big.

My thoughts....

Fix the line.  Forget the QB, everyone needs an OL.

Despite ignoring it until later, you did grab two quality guys.  Van Lanen is going to be a steal for someone.  He's a starter and a starter right away.  The Whitewater kid has a great story, and great upside.  He's gonna be a work in progress.

I think Eskridge is a huge sleeper in this draft.  I dig him.

I think Mac goes earlier, but if he's there in the first, it is a no brainer.

Your Illinois WR can't catch a cold.  But he's got everything else, like MVS of the Packers.  Nice upside there, but those hands...ungh.

All in all, very good Mock.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Chicago Bears
Kyle Pitts
TE, Florida

Chicago Bears
Kyle Trask
QB, Florida

Chicago Bears
Davis Mills
QB, Stanford

Chicago Bears
Elerson Smith
EDGE, Northern Iowa

Chicago Bears
Drew Himmelman
OT, Illinois State

Chicago Bears
Alaric Jackson
OT, Iowa

Chicago Bears
Chris Evans
RB, Michigan

Chicago Bears
Thomas Graham Jr.
CB, Oregon

If Pitts is there at 20, I'll venmo you $5k

5 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Yeah.   Draft simulators are stupid.   That was my first and probably last one for this year.

They provide some familiarity with prospects though.

7 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Venmo.   LOL. 

I am guessing I am going to wake up one day and someone will have transferred all of my money instantly to their own account.

Not looking forward to it.