Yearly stab at the mock draft. 3/23

Epyon

44 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

From Draft Network Draft simulator try.

Seems improbable, but hey I'll take Pitts at 20.   Got two QB prospects with upside for Bears to ruin.  

I don't even care about rest of picks.  ISU kid is 6'9 and 300+ though.  That is big.

If Pitts is there, I run to the podium and grab him instead of my Mac Jones selection (though I'm not sure Mac Jones is realistically there either) . QB may be a vastly more important position overall, but Pitts is one of the few downright elite players of any position in this draft. 

40 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Can he be a LT? 

In a run power scheme, I think yes.  But that isn't where he will be best.  He's not quite the athlete you want at LT.  Certainly not the LT you want when breaking in a first round quarterback.  He's a RT all day long, and I think he will be a very good one for 10 years or so.  But, I've got the Homer bias going for me concerning him.

• Like 1

I did a quick one too

Teven Jenkins - OT - OK State

Richie Grant - S - UCF

James Hudson - OT - Cincy

Davis Mills - QB - Stanford

Brennan Eagles - WR - Texas

Ambry Thomas - CB - Michigan

Tarron Jackson - Edge - Coastal Carolina

Frank Darby - WR - ASU

Instant starter at OT, with a swing/future starting LT. Stud S - probably best in class, hard to pass that value in 2nd. QB of future in Mills. A couple WR, one possession one speed. Depth at important positions in CB and Edge. I'd then look at MLB/Dline/TE/RB as UDFA

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

He's not quite the athlete you want at LT.  

Well, neither is Leno. So, there's that.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Certainly not the LT you want when breaking in a first round quarterback.  

See my previous post. 😁

21 hours ago, dll2000 said:

If I was a GM I might never draft a G unless he was Q. Nelson caliber.  Only Ts and Cs.   Guards are generally fillers.   

Coaches at HS level put their best big men on DL first, then OT or C and lastly G.   Most college football coaches are too lazy or incompetent to convert them and NFL coaches simply lack time.   

If you could figure out a good way to convert DL to OL post college you would really have a secret sauce for finding untapped talent.

Same with converting college basketball PFs to TEs or DEs.   Or baseball pitchers to QBs - this would be hardest because it takes many years to hone QB instincts.   BB point guards could make transition easier.

If there were a true farm system in NFL outside of CFB quality and depth would be much, much higher.   You could start training foreign athletes too.

BTW if you are a weirdo who wants to build a local youth or middle school powerhouse this line of thinking is a big step in doing it outside the south. 

In the south football is king and they get first choice of athletes.  Rest of country that is not case and it takes proactive work.

Actually since concussions became a media darling topic it is decidedly NOT the case.

Point is many of your best local athletes are going to be found in basketball and baseball leagues and are going to have to be recruited to football.  

If you are in poor neighborhood you need the kid, parents will let them do football generally if they can afford it or you can help them with it.   Kid has to be on board.  If you are in middle class or wealthy neighborhood you need dad or mom with help of kid who wants it.  

A word of advice when recruiting though (that no newbie ever follows).  A kid with an overbearing dad who insists his kid is greatest athlete of all time is hardly ever worth the trouble and aggravation that his kid’s talent will bring to your team.   However, in suburbs this is like 1 in 8 dads.  You have to put up with some of them or you won’t have a team.  You have to set clear limits on them from day one.  

In basketball player matters a ton, in football team and coaching matters a ton.  Players still matter, but a cancer will annihilate you are your season.  Seen it happen a million times and had it happen to me once.  

I am happy that my coaching days are behind me.  I made some great relationships with great parents and got to watch boys grow into men and husbands, but I don’t miss aggravating parents for a second.  

On 3/23/2021 at 3:36 PM, dll2000 said:

Chicago Bears
Kyle Pitts
TE, Florida

Chicago Bears
Kyle Trask
QB, Florida

Chicago Bears
Davis Mills
QB, Stanford

Chicago Bears
Elerson Smith
EDGE, Northern Iowa

Chicago Bears
Drew Himmelman
OT, Illinois State

Chicago Bears
Alaric Jackson
OT, Iowa

Chicago Bears
Chris Evans
RB, Michigan

Chicago Bears
Thomas Graham Jr.
CB, Oregon

Pitts at 20 would be amazing. He could literally be our #2 WR right off the bat or the move TE instantly. Kid is freakishly talented.

I'm not opposed to doubling down on QBs in the draft early either, just makes having both Dalton and Foles that much more of a stupid move IMO - so I like it.

On 3/24/2021 at 11:57 PM, Sugashane said:

Pitts at 20 would be amazing. He could literally be our #2 WR right off the bat or the move TE instantly. Kid is freakishly talented.

I'm not opposed to doubling down on QBs in the draft early either, just makes having both Dalton and Foles that much more of a stupid move IMO - so I like it.

Yeah can't say I know a ton about prospects, but Pitts is likely to be more WR2 than TE I think.  Kind of a unique talent.   More in line with KC's Kelce use I think.