Green Bay re-signs CB Kevin King to a 1-year 6M deal.

Broncofan

He gave up less than 45 yards per game in the regular season. Not bad playing across Jaire. However this belief he was heavily targeted across from Jaire is a bit off. He was only targeted just over 5 times a game. He’s definitely not a world beater but I think they could do worse there. 

7 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

He issue is availability. He's constantly dinged up, including in the NFCCG where he hurt his back in practice like a day or two before the game. Could, in part, explain his performance - but it's still not an excuse because he's CONSTANTLY injured. Hopefully they structured this deal so it scales with availability in per game bonuses or something.

No. The issue is that he allows A LOT of completed passes and that he just isn’t very good. 

He alright.  Hasn't touched his potential yet.  Can't help but wonder if the Pettine scheme of playing 12 yards off the line of scrimmage hurt him.  He's more of a press and run corner.  He's actually okay in zone, it's just the cushion he was asked to play last year.  It was terrible.

But he's better than trotting out Josh Jackson.  Certainly need to draft one or two.

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Given he was their CB2 last year.....not sure how you upgrade with the same guy.   

Given GBs cap crunch upgrading this year some creating contract maneuverings and signing our own. I suspect CB will be high on our draft list - but King's signing means it doesnt have to be #1.

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

Given GBs cap crunch upgrading this year some creating contract maneuverings and signing our own. I suspect CB will be high on our draft list - but King's signing means it doesnt have to be #1.

If GB isn't upgrading on King, then upgrading slot would make a lot of sense.   It just wastes Alexander to have 2 spots that can get picked on.   I know King hasn't given up a lot of TD's, but the reality is that against the better teams, they just know to throw away from Alexander.     Draft should be an area of focus - but for most CB's, it year 2 that the impact happens (or sometimes even year 3+).

FA slot market actually has a lot of options - it would be surprising if the Pack didn't look to upgrade here.   Poole, Williams, even Alexander (the other guy lol) are all worth taking a shot on, and likely 1 of them is budget-friendly.   My point about King being underwhelming - you go with the same top 3 CB's, you're likely getting a similar or worse result than last year - good enough to win a lot of reg. season games, but good teams find ways to expose the weaknesses.

Edited by Broncofan

I see the spoonfed media narrative that King sucks cause he struggled in the NFCCG has reached beyond the Packers fan base.

If you're excited because you think we got worse having Kevin King as CB2 instead of Josh Jackson who was penciled in there at the moment....well you're not too smart.

This is a good signing, King, Alexander, Savage, Amos is a top 10 secondary for sure. Add a day 1 or 2 DB to go along with Chandon Sullivan and we will be deep there too.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I see the spoonfed media narrative that King sucks cause he struggled in the NFCCG has reached beyond the Packers fan base.

If you're excited because you think we got worse having Kevin King as CB2 instead of Josh Jackson who was penciled in there at the moment....well you're not too smart.

This is a good signing, King, Alexander, Savage, Amos is a top 10 secondary for sure. Add a day 1 or 2 DB to go along with Chandon Sullivan and we will be deep there too.

So you don’t believe in the advanced metrics available such as comp % allowed, yards allowed etc? Cause those say he’s very much not good. 

8 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

If GB isn't upgrading on King, then upgrading slot would make a lot of sense.   It just wastes Alexander to have 2 spots that can get picked on.   I know King hasn't given up a lot of TD's, but the reality is that against the better teams, they just know to throw away from Alexander.     Draft should be an area of focus - but for most CB's, it year 2 that the impact happens (or sometimes even year 3+). FA slot market actually has a lot of options - it would be surprising if the Pack didn't look to upgrade here.   Poole, Williams, even Alexander (the other guy lol) are all worth taking a shot on, and likely 1 of them is budget-friendly.   My point about King being underwhelming - you go with the same top 3 CB's, you're likely getting a similar or worse result than last year - good enough to win a lot of reg. season games, but good teams find ways to expose the weaknesses.

Understood.  King wasnt the reason we lost the NFCCG to SF. Thats on the IDL - but King played 15 games and had a good year. King was the reason we lost the last NFCCG - when King played 11 games - with play that dropped a bit. So - improvement would be a good thing - but minus that - we've gone 26-6 the last two years (with King) and gotten to the NFCCG both years. We didnt have a lot of wiggle room contract-wise and King's signing keeps us "even" (so to speak). ARs contract finally hit league leading the same year the cap went on a ventilator. It sucks - but it happens. We'll be okay.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

I don't think anyone is suggesting that he's worse than the guy below him on the depth chart. That's a silly way to frame this. It's more so about the array of options they had including guys like Xavier Rhodes, Jason Verrett, Richard Sherman, etc. and the Packers settled for a neutral move. 

Edited by SaveOurSonics
grammar
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

So you don’t believe in the advanced metrics available such as comp % allowed, yards allowed etc? Cause those say he’s very much not good. 

He allowed 1 TD and about 45 YPG, those numbers tell me he's above average. That's all we need. Especially up against the cap. We've gone 26-6 in the last 2 years with him playing one of the most premium positions in the game. I'd say we're OK.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

He allowed 1 TD and about 45 YPG, those numbers tell me he's above average.

What does 63.2% completion percentage, 13.6 yards/completion, and a 96.2 passer rating tell you? 

He’s not as bad as that horrific performance on the biggest stage to date, but don’t cherry pick.