Doctson to get more reps

turtle28

Josh Doctson needs more snaps. The Redskins’ second-year wide receiver has served a limited role through five games, including during Sunday’s 26-24 victory over the San Francisco 49ers, in which he participated in just 19 of Washington’s 74 snaps on offense.

That means Doctson, the team’s 2016 first-round draft pick, was on the field for just more than 25 percent of the team’s offensive snaps. And during Monday’s news conference, Redskins Coach Jay Gruden addressed the deficiency, saying the coaching staff will look at getting Doctson more playing time moving forward.

“We are going to actively expand [his role], without a doubt,” Gruden said. “He didn’t get as many reps as I would like at the end of the day when you look at the numbers, but it’s our job. We have got to get him in there more and expand it.”

Doctson, 24, once again flashed his potential in a reserve role Sunday. He scored his second career touchdown during the opening drive on an 11-yard reception, his only catch in the game. Two of Doctson’s four catches this season have resulted in touchdowns.

[Brewer: Kirk Cousins shows he’ll do whatever it takes . . . to beat a winless team

That’s in sharp contrast to the team’s other wide receivers — Terrelle Pryor Sr.Jamison Crowder and Ryan Grant — who all played at least 54 percent of the offense’s snaps against the 49ers. Pryor had three catches for 23 yards on 61 snaps; Crowder touched the ball four times (three receptions) for 26 total yards on 53 snaps; and Grant had three catches for 39 yards on 40 snaps.

The problem is who do you take the snaps from. Crowder's not giving up his slot position and Ryan Grant has been the most reliable target so far.  Pryors struggles are likely why Doctson isn't seeing the field.  If Pryor was killing it you'd see Doctson taking Grants snaps.

3 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

The problem is who do you take the snaps from. Crowder's not giving up his slot position and Ryan Grant has been the most reliable target so far.  Pryors struggles are likely why Doctson isn't seeing the field.  If Pryor was killing it you'd see Doctson taking Grants snaps.

Pretty sure it would be Grant. I think we'll see a flip in snap counts between the two. Grant has been better than expected but it's not like he's been great, he's made his mistakes as well on a few routes and stuff - that's why Colley gave him a C vs the 49ers after watching the All-22 when to the naked eye fans thought he clearly played the best - and we all know he diesnt have Doctson's natural ability. 

On 10/17/2017 at 6:32 PM, MKnight82 said:

How about Doctson starts over Pryor .. by far the biggest dissapointing WR since Brandon Lloyd .

i wouldn't be surprised if Pryor gets traded before the deadline.

doctson should start over him .. I don't like Grant a lot but he's been consistently getting 50 yards a game tho.

19 hours ago, Dashing202 said:

How about Doctson starts over Pryor .. by far the biggest dissapointing WR since Brandon Lloyd .

i wouldn't be surprised if Pryor gets traded before the deadline.

doctson should start over him .. I don't like Grant a lot but he's been consistently getting 50 yards a game tho.

Pryor has no trade market. Trading players and acquiring players through trade mid season is extremely rare. 

Pryor is second on the team amongst  WRs in receptions and leads the team in yards.

His drops the first few weeks were disappointing but I don’t remember him dropping a pass vs the 49ers. In fact, Cousins has also missed him a few times for what should have been TDs like the 1st pass play against the Eagles week 1 and 2 times Kirk overthrew him against the 49ers. If Kirk is a bit more accurate on those 3 passes Pryor might have 130 more yards and 3 more TDs.

36 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Kirk seems to target Doctson a lot now when Jay puts him in the game. I wouldn't be shocked if he finishes somewhere around 700 yards and 5 TD to finish the season. If he can stay healthy then I expect him to be a great player. 

Every other reception he has a TD reception and if he had caught the pass vs the Chiefs the same would be true. Lol xD

I'm thinking he finishes season with 50 recs, 750 yds, 8 Tds 

16 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Pryor has no trade market. Trading players and acquiring players through trade mid season is extremely rare. 

Pryor is second on the team amongst  WRs in receptions and leads the team in yards.

His drops the first few weeks were disappointing but I don’t remember him dropping a pass vs the 49ers. In fact, Cousins has also missed him a few times for what should have been TDs like the 1st pass play against the Eagles week 1 and 2 times Kirk overthrew him against the 49ers. If Kirk is a bit more accurate on those 3 passes Pryor might have 130 more yards and 3 more TDs.

Pryor sucks but we can still get something heck anything 

21 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

Pretty sure the browns wouldn't mind him back 

Are you bi-polar? Read your last two posts. One you say he sucks the next you say the browns would want him back meaning,  he has played well enough to have value.

On 10/17/2017 at 6:32 PM, MKnight82 said:

You take snaps from Crowder and Grant. That's not even debatable at this point.

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

It will be Grant. Crowder is the slot guy and the only other wr we have that can play slot is Grant. 

I'm taking snaps from Pryor. Grant has earned his time on the field and at this point is a better player than Pryor. 

On 10/21/2017 at 2:26 PM, turtle28 said:

Are you bi-polar? Read your last two posts. One you say he sucks the next you say the browns would want him back meaning,  he has played well enough to have value.

I'm not Bi polar ? I obviously don't want him here if I said he sucks and we would trade him 

Archived