Steelers release CB Steven Nelson

NYRaider

Surprised they couldn't work something out.  He'll get interest and find a new home quickly.

Honestly, I would have rather kept Nelson and let JuJu sign elsewhere than allocate 8M to JuJu and watch Nelson walk away.   Guess we'll see how that works out, and who they bring in instead.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 5

I'm not surprised we released him. Who would want to trade something for a guy that is going to get cut? Even if he wasn't a guy that has forced himself off two teams(Chiefs fans, if I'm off base here let me know. That was the impression I got), I'd be hesitant.

EDIT: Seems I was wrong about him forcing himself off teams. Still not surprised he got cut. That's a hefty paycheck for 1 year.

39 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Honestly, I would have rather kept Nelson and let JuJu sign elsewhere than allocate 8M to JuJu and watch Nelson walk away.

100% agree. I think any Steelers fan being honest with themselves would agree as well. Nelson's value to the team as a reliable boundary corner has to be greater than Juju's as a glorified slot possession receiver. I honestly think the Steelers could replicate what Juju does (or at least what he did last year) with someone like Jamison Crowder or even an in-house option like James Washington. Not sure who you can bring in at this point to replicate Nelson's play. 

The Steelers had a top 5 pass D the last 2 years and you are only as good as your weakest link. Nelson started 30 of those 32 games.

PFF and pro football reference both have Nelson > Adoree Jackson.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-rankings-top-25-cornerbacks-through-week-17   (that's 2019)

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-top-25-cornerbacks-in-the-nfl-in-2018  (that's 2018)

Feel free to take PFF with a grain of salt but I'm not seeing much in the way of other detailed rankings.

FYI, KC got better when he left because they dumped Bob Sutton for Spags.

• Spags is pretty good even if he's not delusional Brady Kryptonite

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'm not surprised we released him. Who would want to trade something for a guy that is going to get cut? Even if he wasn't a guy that has forced himself off two teams(Chiefs fans, if I'm off base here let me know. That was the impression I got), I'd be hesitant.

EDIT: Seems I was wrong about him forcing himself off teams. Still not surprised he got cut. That's a hefty paycheck for 1 year.

Forcing himself out is probably wording it wrong.

He certainly wasn’t shy about being happy to get out of KC when he left though. 

Edit:  Nelson is good enough to start,    But I get the feeling his opinion of himself is way above anyone else 

Edited by samsel23
  • Like 1

Athlon had him 17th coming into 2020. https://athlonsports.com/nfl/nfl-defensive-back-rankings

And there is this from a Steelers based website:  https://stillcurtain.com/2020/07/26/steelers-steven-nelson-leap-stardom/

AFAIK with incomplete 2020 data, he did not have a strong September but was good the rest of the year.

Joe Haden was on fire in September but finished lower than Nelson overall for 2020 on PFF

Haden 66.6 Nelson 67.1

For 2020 Context: Slay was 62.9 and Gilmore was 61.0 while JC Jackson was 69.5

• 60 ratings are usually the 23-33 overall rankings of CBs (give or take a few points)

My least favorite signing of the past 5 years as an Eagles fan, James Bradberry was 79.8

Marlon Humphrey was 76.1

Summary: Steelers and Chiefs fans who don't like him are full of it.

Edited by SkippyX