FFMD 2021 Vikings War Room

Uncle Buck

1 minute ago, RpMc said:

There's also no debating that it didn't work out for the team that drafted them... which is what I'm arguing against.

That's on those teams not on the kicker themselves as players. You wouldn't want Butker, Hopkins, zuerlien etc? 

For me it all comes down to, do I want to take a guy who will compete to actually start and make a difference or do I want to to take a guy who will battle just to make the roster.  I'll gamble on the former in the fifth freaking round when the team has a plethora of picks 

• Like 1

Just now, bcb1213 said:

That's on those teams not on the kicker themselves as players. You wouldn't want Butker, Hopkins, zuerlien etc? 

Again, making a strawman argument.  They'd be great kickers to have, but it's not because they were drafted. Why draft one when history has shown that you can get them as UDFA, or they lose a kicking battle and are cut/end up on a practice squad, or they become free agents like Longwell, Prater, Gould?  There are so many avenues for adding a kicker that just cost money.... instead of draft picks and money... it's an incredibly volatile position, so investing minimal assets into it is just good sense.

3 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

For me it all comes down to, do I want to take a guy who will compete to actually start and make a difference or do I want to to take a guy who will battle just to make the roster.  I'll gamble on the former in the fifth freaking round when the team has a plethora of picks 

I can respect that stance, but I'll disagree to my dying breath. ;)

9 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

So there's a guy I like who I think is really flying under the radar. Has chance to not even get drafted Irl but the book on him may be wrong.  Should I just take him in the 220  something pick anyhow 

Take them where you have to take then. As far as kickers, just like other positions, the higher the round pick you are willing to spend on them the better your odds are of getting a good one. You can find good kickers from a variety or sources, but an argument that a drafted kicker is no more likely to be good than an undrafted kicker is ignoring the stats. It is even worse when that incorrect argument is quasi-couched in a stat based argument.

16 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

So there's a guy I like who I think is really flying under the radar. Has chance to not even get drafted Irl but the book on him may be wrong.  Should I just take him in the 220  something pick anyhow 

Go with your gut!

@bcb1213 Thought you would like this, someone else on here posted it ;o) 

Dude has ability no question and if he falls in real life to the 3rd round Vikings would be damn lucky to get him.  The stories you heard about his partying and attitude, where is that from exactly?  Would be curious to read about it.  

I'm not going to continue to argue sterns with you. The young man opted out with three games to go cause his team wasn't winning enough for him to go party and "prepare for the draft".  It all began when he wanted the university to rename buildings and stop singing traditional songs and he's gotten harder and harder to deal with since.  He apparantly has problems if he doesn't get his way.  . I have this from people I know at the university 

7 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

I'm not going to continue to argue sterns with you. The young man opted out with three games to go cause his team wasn't winning enough for him to go party and "prepare for the draft".  It all began when he wanted the university to rename buildings and stop singing traditional songs and he's gotten harder and harder to deal with since.  He apparantly has problems if he doesn't get his way.  . I have this from people I know at the university 

He is not the only guy to play some of the season then opt out to prep for the draft. Bateman, Ford, Cisco and many others did the same.

The song thing I do not know about but isn't there a big deal because the song is racist or believed to be so?  

"The controversy surrounding the alma mater became a backdrop to the 2020 football season, particularly when, following a loss to Oklahoma last October, most of the team went into the locker room instead of staying on the field to sing the song. That sparked a series of hateful emails sent by alums and boosters to Hartzell's office threatening to stop their support. "

Apparently Sterns was not the only Texas player to feel that way, but yeah probably one of the more elite players so got tied to it more potentially.   Also considering the time we are in now, that was happening all over the country, anything connected to slavery much less Robert E Lee.  Sure the University had a study and did not find any connection or "racist intent" but not sure how legit that study was either.

Would be curious if this is him being defiant or him using his voice as an athlete to get some social change in his small way.  That is a fine line, one could call LeBron James defiant because he wants social change?  Guess it is ones perspective, wanting a song that is potentially related to slavery changed is being hard to deal with?  Maybe, maybe not. 

Good to know where some of this is coming from though, thanks.   

#14 1st Rashawn Slater OT/OG Northwestern
#79 3rd Trey Smith OG Tennessee
#91 3rd Jamar Johnson S Indiana
#120 4th Hunter Long TE Boston College
#126 4th Anthony Schwartz WR Auburn
#135 4th Monty Rice LB Georgia
#144 4th Rodarious Williams CB/S Oklahoma State
#158 5th Evan McPherson K Florida
#172 5th Chauncey Golston DE Iowa
#199 6th
#223 6th

Who you going for next? 

I would say another OL maybe Tommy Doyle is arguably the best still there and a scheme fit.  Sucks Noah Gray is still around he is an athletic TE with a decent upside.  Trevon Grimes is a big time WR with big time athletic ability but not sure it is a huge need, would be a great get, same with Jonathan Adams Jr.  

JaCoby Stevens is still around a potential OLB convert former safety at LSU but is a good athlete and could be a LB with range.  Darrick Forrest is a good athlete and decent safety prospect, and JR Pace has ability as a safety as well.

Darius Stills and Jerome Johnson still there which is nuts because both are solid pass rusher penetrating DTs that could be the way to go and is arguably some of the higher rated guys still left.  Royce Newman is also still there and he is a solid OG potentially or could play RT as well.  Adrian Ealy is a decent OL as well still around but is probably not a scheme fit.

At QB got options but none of them are great, and if it was real life could maybe get Book, Buechele or White as a UDFA.  Zach Smith has some upside but is pretty raw, and Ehlinger could be interesting.

Sam Ehlinger Texas
Ian Book Notre Dame RS
Brady White Memphis RS
Shane Buechele SMU RS
Zach Smith Tulsa
KJ Costello Miss State RS

Would not hate a power RB like these guys but again in real life could maybe get them as a UDFA, Mitchell should be drafted though and could be a good get, had a great pro day.  Still Scott, Brown and Mills could easily go undrafted and same with JD King and all could be nice to have some power in the backfield and Mitchell is easily a good enough athlete to play in the system, and Boyd has big time potential and before his injury was a big time prospect had over 1000 yards in 2019 in the SEC, really glides as a runner.  

JD King Georgia Southern RS
Elijah Mitchell Louisiana
Rakeem Boyd Arkansas
CJ Marable Coastal Carolina
Stevie Scott III Indiana JR
Spencer Brown UAB
Dedrick Mills Nebraska