FFMD 2021 Vikings War Room

Uncle Buck

Trey Smith is a solid selection considering who was around still.  Ben Cleveland is still out there but probably should go off OL for a few picks.

Cade Sterns so he could be a great pickup with the next selection.  Patrick Jones II is still out there as well, Twyman and Marvin Wilson are still out there but with Tomlinson signing it is not as big of a need anymore.  

Hunter Long is also around and could be a great pickup and a need as a TE who can block, Tremble is gone which sucks.  So I would go Sterns or Long if they are still around next.  

Also if Kellen Mond is there at #136 take him all day long arguably.  Love Sterns and Long but Mond would be a steal in the 3rd.  Safeties will go fast so Sterns could be a steal but could also steal LeCounte later in the draft also because of that slow 40 and his injury.  

1 hour ago, bcb1213 said:

I like Johnson. The S from Indiana.  Likely going there as the edge I was targeting just got snipe pick before us 

I like Jamar Johnson as well, I have had him mocked to the Vikings a few times.  But fact is Cade Sterns is a better player, more upside and more potential and is faster.  Jamar ran a 4.6 40 which is decent, Sterns was 4.4 and has played at a higher level since he was a freshman.  Jamar has good ball skills though but only one great season this past year which was his breakout year.

Also Sterns had a 42" vertical and Jamar only a 35" so yeah give me Sterns instead.

So you were targeting Payton Turner?  I like him but not in the 3rd round with Patrick Jones, Quincy Roche, Chris Rumph and Elerson Smith around.  

Not sure I could have passed on Mond though, he would be a steal in the 3rd and a nice backup and future replacement for Kirk.  TE makes sense for the next pick or a DE or even another OG.  Cleveland and Banks are still around.  

On 4/1/2021 at 12:47 PM, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Due to our embarrassing void at the CB position, the Lions are interested in giving Hughes a shot. We could do that 5th for a 6th and Hughes, if that's something you guys would like to discuss. (The injuries are a concern, so I don't think we'd be interested in offering much more. We don't have our own 6th or 7th, and have a bunch of needs, so picks are a premium for us.)

Thanks guys!

Hey guys! I know there's far more important things going on, but any thoughts on this?

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

I like Jamar Johnson as well, I have had him mocked to the Vikings a few times.  But fact is Cade Sterns is a better player, more upside and more potential and is faster.  Jamar ran a 4.6 40 which is decent, Sterns was 4.4 and has played at a higher level since he was a freshman.  Jamar has good ball skills though but only one great season this past year which was his breakout year.

Also Sterns had a 42" vertical and Jamar only a 35" so yeah give me Sterns instead.

So you were targeting Payton Turner?  I like him but not in the 3rd round with Patrick Jones, Quincy Roche, Chris Rumph and Elerson Smith around.  

Not sure I could have passed on Mond though, he would be a steal in the 3rd and a nice backup and future replacement for Kirk.  TE makes sense for the next pick or a DE or even another OG.  Cleveland and Banks are still around.  

Edge is biggest need on the team after we did o line first two picks. I love turner as 4-3 end. Perfect fit here. Rumph can't be a 4-3 end so he's off my board completely btw 

We went with Johnson.  

11 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

This is a no sorry.  You're basically valuing him at a late seventh with that offer.  Thanks tho 

My bad. Not trying to insult the player. That was a possible trade/value suggestion made by one of the posters here.

Does he factor into your plans? If not, what kind of compensation seems reasonable? We're so bare at CB that he'd probably get some playing time with us.

38 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

Edge is biggest need on the team after we did o line first two picks. I love turner as 4-3 end. Perfect fit here. Rumph can't be a 4-3 end so he's off my board completely btw 

We went with Johnson.  

I know you went with Johnson, I am saying I would have went for Mond or Sterns.  Turner I like but not that much and not sure edge is the biggest need unless Hunter does not want to be on the team anymore.  They have Holmes who has starting experience, Wonnum who has a lot of upside, Williekes who has potential, Mata'afa who was  flashed at DE and not sure he is a long term DT anyway, Lynch could maybe move to DE but I think they want him at DT, Brailford who has played decent, Weatherly from Carolina who used to play here and could start if others do not show out...

DE D. Hunter/ Holmes/ Brailford
DT M. Pierce/ Huggins
DT D. Tomlinson/ Watts/ Lynch
DE S. Weatherly/ Wonnum/ Mata'afa/ Willekes

To me a DE is not the next need especially when one could get Dayo Odeyingbo, Elerson Smith, Chauncey Golston, Adetokunbo Ogundeji, Janarious Robinson, Saka Toney Joshua Kaindoh etc later on and just see how is there late 4th or in round 5 or 6.  

Edited by Ozzy

12 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

My bad. Not trying to insult the player. That was a possible trade/value suggestion made by one of the posters here.

Does he factor into your plans? If not, what kind of compensation seems reasonable? We're so bare at CB that he'd probably get some playing time with us.

I think the boys are partial to holding onto him instead of selling low 

22 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I know you went with Johnson, I am saying I would have went for Mond or Sterns.  Turner I like but not that much and not sure edge is the biggest need unless Hunter does not want to be on the team anymore.  They have Holmes who has starting experience, Wonnum who has a lot of upside, Williekes who has potential, Mata'afa who was  flashed at DE and not sure he is a long term DT anyway, Lynch could maybe move to DE but I think they want him at DT, Brailford who has played decent, Weatherly from Carolina who used to play here and could start if others do not show out...

DE D. Hunter/ Holmes/ Brailford
DT M. Pierce/ Huggins
DT D. Tomlinson/ Watts/ Lynch
DE S. Weatherly/ Wonnum/ Mata'afa/ Willekes

To me a DE is not the next need especially when one could get Dayo Odeyingbo, Elerson Smith, Chauncey Golston, Adetokunbo Ogundeji, Janarious Robinson, Saka Toney Joshua Kaindoh etc later on and could throw Payton Turner in that mix as well iand just see how is there late 4th or in round 5 or 6.  

Well I don't like any of the qb left til the sixth round or so.  Maybe wr next then? 

8 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

Well I don't like any of the qb left til the sixth round or so.  Maybe wr next then? 

You don't like Mond then?  He is easily the next best QB after those top guys and is right with Trask arguably and is the better athlete of the two.  If he keeps falling no way I would pass on him but maybe I am alone in that.

WR, not sure I would go this high with WR, another position one seems to be able to find later.  TE I would say if Hunter Long is there or a guard like Cleveland or Banks but still a long ways out.  

Not sure how others would go with it though in terms of need.

10 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

You don't like Mond then?  He is easily the next best QB after those top guys and is right with Trask arguably and is the better athlete of the two.  If he keeps falling no way I would pass on him but maybe I am alone in that.

WR, not sure I would go this high with WR, another position one seems to be able to find later.  TE I would say if Hunter Long is there or a guard like Cleveland or Banks but still a long ways out.  

Not sure how others would go with it though in terms of need.

Am I missing something or is olabsi Johnson and Chad beebee still the number three and four wr respectively 

1 minute ago, bcb1213 said:

Am I missing something or is olabsi Johnson and Chad beebee still the number three and four wr respectively 

Very true and WR is a need so you could be correct.  Just to me Rudolph is gone and was the best blocking TE out of the three, now unless Dillon becomes the third TE, having only Irv Smith and Conklin at TE is not good for a team that plays two TEs pretty consistently and only two receivers.  Again receivers are usually always around later in the draft, and this TE group is not super deep but maybe that is just me.

If there is a receiver who is a great return man than for sure that value goes way up because they need a return guy as well.  

Ihmir Smith-Marsette and Marquez Stevenson are two with speed and return ability but neither are great punt return men but could do it, both more kick return guys in college.  So yeah would not pick them as highly because they are not as elite return men.