TCG Thread (Pokemon, Yugioh, MTG, DBZ, and more)

Justwinning

1 minute ago, drew39k said:

I know the local comic shops near me will by cards. If you aren't looking for top dollar you could probably bring them to a shop near you. Bear in mind though, the shops near me only offer 50% of values listed on pricing sites for store credit. If I wanted cash it would only be 30%.

Any idea what condition your pokemon cards are in? Where they played with as a kid and just stored in a box or did you put them into binders/top loaders?

At a bare minimum you should get them from your grandmother's basement. Some cards to look out for are anything stamped first edition, base set holos, shadowless base set cards, and error cards. (Notable errors are red cheeks base set pikachu, non holo rocket dragonite listed as the 5th card in it's set, miscellaneous jungle cards missing the jungle logo,base set diglett with the energy cost symbol turned sideways, and first edition cards where the 1st edition stamp is off center so it looks like a "d".

Also if you have japanese cards there are a few valuable banned cards.(grimer whose eyes appear to be looking up a skirt, trainers gaze where it looks like the trainer is flipping the bird, a misty trainer card where she appears to be sillouhetted naked,a zubat with a symbol similar to a swastika,and a jynx that is black instead of purple.

If you get your cards and take some pics, I'd love to see em.

They are in binder pages and I think a few might be in top loaders.  They were in a sealed tupperware-type plastic container  I know I had a good amount of first edition ones, and base set holos, but I didn't know about shadowless or any error cards.  I imagine most of them would grade pretty well.  I never played the game or shuffled them.  

I'll have to pick them up at some point over the next week.  

8 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

They are in binder pages and I think a few might be in top loaders.  They were in a sealed tupperware-type plastic container  I know I had a good amount of first edition ones, and base set holos, but I didn't know about shadowless or any error cards.  I imagine most of them would grade pretty well.  I never played the game or shuffled them.  

I'll have to pick them up at some point over the next week.  

If they are unplayed they could be worth big money. Especially first edition holos. Like hundreds to thousands of dollars each. For example, I have a first edition dark dragonite holo from the rocket set that is not in mint condition (probably a seven). if it was a 10 it would be worth about $1100. As a 7 I think I'm looking at about $200. 

9 hours ago, drew39k said:

If they are unplayed they could be worth big money. Especially first edition holos. Like hundreds to thousands of dollars each. For example, I have a first edition dark dragonite holo from the rocket set that is not in mint condition (probably a seven). if it was a 10 it would be worth about $1100. As a 7 I think I'm looking at about $200. 

...I think I have 2 of those. I really need to go through what I have and make a note of which are worth anything. I like having them for nostalgic reasons, but if they are actually worth money, I should strike while the iron is hot.

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

...I think I have 2 of those. I really need to go through what I have and make a note of which are worth anything. I like having them for nostalgic reasons, but if they are actually worth money, I should strike while the iron is hot.

That's kinda where I'm at. Tricky part though is that getting the best prices require getting cards graded.

Looking at the recent sales history on that specific card shows a psa 9 graded vs is selling between like 700 and 900. An 8 is 300 ish.

If you sell it ungraded it seems like it is going for around 100. 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=first+edition+dark+dragonite&_dmd=1&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1

In that link you can see how massive the value of a card can fluctuate solely on the grade it has or if it is not graded. 

Check out this site for an idea on how to guage the value of your cards and determine if they are worth grading or not.

https://www.psacollector.com/how-to-grade-pokemon-cards/

Unfortunately grading is an issue right now. PSA just accounted they are suspending new card submissions for grades while they work through a massive backlog of cards. At this point they will be suspended until atleast early July. Once they reopen the hope is that turnaround times will be about 1 month, but just prior to suspending, the turn around was 7-9months.

There are other reputable grading companies but none have quite the same sales value as psa.

Of course I should point out that if the bubble bursts on pokemon cards during the potentially 7+months it may take to get your stuff graded you may have to store them again for a while and just eat the cost it took to get them graded(about 15-20 bucks per card it seems, assuming you sent in a bulk shipment of atleast 20 cards.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Any magic players around here? talk to me about your collection/decks formats. im thinking about getting into mtgo to level up my game.

I play Modern, Commander, Pauper and Draft/Sealed mainly, my favorite color combination is Blue Red (izzet). I live in a mid size city in Mexico so our local community was struggling even before covid, people mainly play casual games, theres no local game shop right now. Ive been organizing events while paying for booster boxes upfront but im getting tired of the hassle of motivating people and just thought i will go to online from now on.

Edited by ifeelasleep

• 1 year later...
11 hours ago, Justwinning said:

Oh how the card market has dramatically changed since the last post here lol

Any collectors still on here?

Did it go up or down? Guessing the pandemic drove prices up? 

I don't collect at all because I know who I am as a person and I can't control myself when it comes to buying packs of cards. 

I heard pretty early on that Pokémon cards were going to be huge again but thought they were full of ****. I don’t have the same happy story as you guys about finding old Pokémon cards. I had Pokémon cards but I was an idiot at 9 years old. I was somewhere south of middle class, didn’t have all the toys or even cable, but I had cards. So I made the executive decision to cut the Pokémon out of the cards with scissors to play with. I’d cringe more at it but those cards wouldn’t have survived til today anyway. 

I was big into Yugioh when it got big in 4th grade. I had an average deck and I beat my two yugioh die hard friends the time we played, then never played them again so I could retain the undefeated record. I also got conned into trading one of my modestly decent cards for another kid’s useless card that he told me combines with the dark magician card to power it up and when I challenged him on it, he said I wouldn’t understand cause I hadn’t seen the show. That kid ended up dying years later, I had nothing to do with it. 

My biggest thing was football cards. Honestly it’s probably what familiarized myself with the league more than anything else. More than watching games, more than playing madden. I think you’d be pretty hard pressed trying to find a football player (that got playtime) in the mid 2000’s I didn’t know. I might still have my binders somewhere but not much survived the purge of my mom’s house when she decided she wanted to sell it

• Like 1

On 5/20/2023 at 12:30 AM, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Did it go up or down? Guessing the pandemic drove prices up? 

I don't collect at all because I know who I am as a person and I can't control myself when it comes to buying packs of cards. 

You are not alone LOL

As for the market, I can only really comment on Pokemon since that my collecting niche. So during 2020 it seemed everything boomed. Once we got to Spring 2021 prices went down gradually at a good rate. Nowadays vintage seems a bit stagnant, where as modern has seen considerable growth. This is in general terms as you can find counter examples of each of my points.

On 5/20/2023 at 8:05 AM, Ty21 said:

I heard pretty early on that Pokémon cards were going to be huge again but thought they were full of ****. I don’t have the same happy story as you guys about finding old Pokémon cards. I had Pokémon cards but I was an idiot at 9 years old. I was somewhere south of middle class, didn’t have all the toys or even cable, but I had cards. So I made the executive decision to cut the Pokémon out of the cards with scissors to play with. I’d cringe more at it but those cards wouldn’t have survived til today anyway. 

I was big into Yugioh when it got big in 4th grade. I had an average deck and I beat my two yugioh die hard friends the time we played, then never played them again so I could retain the undefeated record. I also got conned into trading one of my modestly decent cards for another kid’s useless card that he told me combines with the dark magician card to power it up and when I challenged him on it, he said I wouldn’t understand cause I hadn’t seen the show. That kid ended up dying years later, I had nothing to do with it. 

My biggest thing was football cards. Honestly it’s probably what familiarized myself with the league more than anything else. More than watching games, more than playing madden. I think you’d be pretty hard pressed trying to find a football player (that got playtime) in the mid 2000’s I didn’t know. I might still have my binders somewhere but not much survived the purge of my mom’s house when she decided she wanted to sell it

Don't beat yourself up. Hardly any of us had the foresight to keep them pristine.

Yugioh is dope too and I was really into sports cards as a kid too. Thank you for sharing.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2023 at 3:55 PM, jetsfan4life51 said:

I still have my MLB Showdown cards lol. I wanted my friend to sell them for me during the pandemic but he didn’t. 

Gave my Pokémon cards to my cousin and probably lost a few hundred dollars. Not sure what I had. 

Post them!

On 5/20/2023 at 8:05 AM, Ty21 said:

Do you still collect anything?

I bought a ton of Lost Origin that I now know not what to do with. I was going to start playing but the only person I know who plays doesn't play anymore. I guess off to eBay I go... or some Facebook group or whatever