One way to address the declining TV ratings

pf9

The NFL's TV ratings have been down in recent years.

One of the culprits is the playoff structure. The NFL has been at 12 playoff teams for nearly 3 decades. Since the last expansion of the playoffs in 1990, the other 2 major outdoor leagues in North America, MLB and MLS (the latter only starting in 1996) have expanded their playoffs a combined 4 times while the NFL has failed to keep up appearances.

Let's put this in perspective. From 1992-2002, no team with at least 10 wins missed the playoffs. Since 2003 (but not last year) we've seen it happen several times.

I'm proposing an expansion to 8 playoff teams in each conference because first round byes have proven to be just as bad for teams at times.

In at least 2 cases where 10-win teams have missed the playoffs - the 2007 Browns and 2012 Bears - they have not recovered from the disappointment of winning so many games and still being on the outside looking in. The Browns have gone through numerous QBs and have had 5 coaching changes since their last winning season (in contrast, the last coaching change for any other AFC North team occurred after the 2007 Ravens season, despite numerous playoff disappointments by the Bengals in this time). I don't want this to happen to any other team, because as it stands, the NFL is the only big 4 league where it is failrly easy to win 60% of your games and still not make the playoffs.

I've seen cases where first-round byes have gone south too, like the 2011 Packers.

I think the ratings aren't as low as they seem with a lot of people moving to streaming options, not sure they are keeping track of that. 

But anywho, the playoff format doesn't need fixed in the NFL. If anything the college football playoff needs expanded hardcore 

No.. Streaming and piracy much like it did with music is killing ratings..

you dont even need a TV nor cable to watch perfect HD games.. Just stream it thru their app for free like they did many of years ago..

they will get their ratings back up again... Watch it when you go take a dump! Watch it wherever and whenever.. That yahoo crap was wack.. 

11 hours ago, El ramster said:

No.. Streaming and piracy much like it did with music is killing ratings..

you dont even need a TV nor cable to watch perfect HD games.. Just stream it thru their app for free like they did many of years ago..

they will get their ratings back up again... Watch it when you go take a dump! Watch it wherever and whenever.. That yahoo crap was wack.. 

I've always wondered how much percentage of viewers do that and if that's a reason. 

Though the people who think ratings are down due to protests are funny though.

I don't think the ratings decline is in the NFL's control. There's just way too many other things that gained popularity that people watch watch/play/do, and more people are no longer prisoners of the standard television model which kept them circling a nice loop of shows and events that were always advertised on the networks they watched.

I'm always curious, how much are the ratings down in the NFL versus regular TV? If they are down a greater % in the NFL, then the NFL has to look at it and think about doing something to adjust. If they are done less then regular TV or the same amount, the NFL can't really do anything about it, because it's just a natural trend. I'll be curious to once better metrics come out for other streaming services, like Youtube TV, etc. that have the NFL on them.

I think most of the ratings decline is out of the NFL's control

cord cutting

rise of streaming services like netflix, Hulu(people are no longer flicking through TV channels and maybe find a NFL game by accident out of boredom)

rise of political talk and the national disasters that hit this county(believe news-cable is setting records in ratings) that prolly takes away views from the older crowd

Archived