One way to address the declining TV ratings

pf9

If the networks really want to improve their ratings, they need to allow viewers to watch a game that will interest them.  Don't stick fans with a Cleveland vs Cincy game.  Let those fans of those 2 teams watch, but allow them to switch to another game if they desire.  Being locked into only 1 option on Fox and CBS, if the game is not interesting, viewers are going to move onto something else.  If they could switch to another game, more would likely stay attracted to 1 of the options.

How does less teams in the playoffs affect ratings in the beginning of the season exactly?

And it's too easy to win one fluke game in the NFL. People will be pissed when 8-8 teams are consistently making it far in the playoffs.

Besides, I can tell you I like other sports but the NFL is the only league i watch. Why? The regular season has become meaningless in basketball and hockey. As long as you aren't a top ten draft pick you're most likely in the playoffs? That's stupid 

So we've been talking on this forum for years that the TNF product is usually bad, and consistent prime time flops may be a contributor to people (possibly) tuning in less. But a couple months into the season and what may be the two best games of the year so far have both come on Thursday night.

2 hours ago, MemphisEagles said:

How does less teams in the playoffs affect ratings in the beginning of the season exactly?

And it's too easy to win one fluke game in the NFL. People will be pissed when 8-8 teams are consistently making it far in the playoffs.

Besides, I can tell you I like other sports but the NFL is the only league i watch. Why? The regular season has become meaningless in basketball and hockey. As long as you aren't a top ten draft pick you're most likely in the playoffs? That's stupid 

And too many games. Most reg season games become diluted and attention spans close. 

7 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

And too many games. Most reg season games become diluted and attention spans close. 

Definitely. I lived in Pittsburgh, I could have had a great hockey team to be bandwagon. But it's just too many games for my team alone. How do people keep up with other teams except when you play them?

On 10/18/2017 at 10:06 AM, Kip Smithers said:

Though the people who think ratings are down due to protests are funny though.

Sure. That's why Directv was giving refunds for Sunday Ticket if people cited anthem protests as the reason. And why the owners and commissioner who were fine with the protests for a year are all of a sudden in full blown panic mode trying to end them. Or why some demographics that had a 2/3 positive opinion of the NFL a year ago are now down to 1/3.

IDK about a 16 team playoff. But I am for changing the playoffs. Mainly because since we went to 8 four team divisions, winning a division isn't that impressive of an accomplishment and we've ended up with some really undeserving teams getting a home game. Division games used to be half the schedule. Now you play as many division games as you play non-division conference opponents. We've seen a team go undefeated in their division and not win it. Division titles are meaningless 

1 hour ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

IDK about a 16 team playoff. But I am for changing the playoffs. Mainly because since we went to 8 four team divisions, winning a division isn't that impressive of an accomplishment and we've ended up with some really undeserving teams getting a home game. Division games used to be half the schedule. Now you play as many division games as you play non-division conference opponents. We've seen a team go undefeated in their division and not win it. Division titles are meaningless 

Whens the last time a team went undefeated in their division and didn't win it?

7 hours ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Sure. That's why Directv was giving refunds for Sunday Ticket if people cited anthem protests as the reason. And why the owners and commissioner who were fine with the protests for a year are all of a sudden in full blown panic mode trying to end them. Or why some demographics that had a 2/3 positive opinion of the NFL a year ago are now down to 1/3.

Listen this isn't the place to discuss this but if you wanna be naive with that opinion then be my guest.

5 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Listen this isn't the place to discuss this but if you wanna be naive with that opinion then be my guest.

lol...you brought it up. What's naive is thinking these billionaires who have tons of people analyzing and dissecting these ratings are just too stupid to account for new viewing methods.  But if you wanna take little shots then hide behind the rules(which I'm pretty sure we're still inbounds) instead of telling me what part of that post was wrong then be my guest 

Archived