One way to address the declining TV ratings

pf9

the way to address the ratings being down is to try to understand why  they have fallen.

I think with all the rule changes , it has changed the game and some of the older viewers don't watch.  I am not sure how internet viewing affects these ratings, but it could be a part of this as well.

Too many commercials could also be a culprit but that will always be maxed out .

Commentators could be better too.

The camera work is better than ever, people have better quality picture etc, so what's to blame. We could make a list and add to it, but those are some that I think most would agree about.

I have a few ideas:

1. Dump Thursday night games except for SB champ opening night, Thanksgiving, and that Thursday in October between games 2-3 of the World Series

2. More late games. Basically, don't make the late timeslot basically a 2-3 game slot.

3. Get rid of the third primetime Thanksgiving game. I mean, have those games given us anything GOOD on Turkey Day/Night? Go back to Detroit/Dallas and that's it.

4. No more Saturday primetime games, regular season AND playoffs. Go back to 12/3:30 on Saturdays like the old days and put them on the main networks, none of this NFL Network exclusive stuff. Like, the week 15 Saturday games? Have Bears/Lions be at noon on FOX and Chargers/Chiefs 3:30 on CBS

Ratings are actually down though. Too many commercials. Next generation is not as patient and isn't watching sports in the same way.

Fahtasy football, daily fantasy, gambling and how we gamble has changed from caring about a whole game or who wins loses to many other factors within a game. 

Plus concussions, the president s nonsense, ESPN and their conplete horribad coverage of everything. Really this all started when they rearranged Sunday and Monday night football and ESPN got rid of NFL Primetime. ESPN damaged a whole generations fun with that bs move to placate NBC and the NFL. After that it's fantasy football, individual player gambling that have changed why people even watch the games. 

We didn't even mention the lack of multi generational stars that transcend the sport. Casual fans need those lurpes.

On 12/31/2017 at 2:37 AM, El ramster said:

Think it can be restructured.. Direct TV is probably losing a ton of money.. Streams have changed the game.. 

Not necessarily sure why the NFL would even want to at this point.  Having third parties pay them for the distribution fixes their annual revenue into the future for a good period and de-risks them to a great deal.  For instance, the recent ratings decreases reportedly are causing networks to refund advertisers for guaranteed ratings numbers.  This doesn't reach through to the NFL.  Further, the NFL only has to deal with a relatively small number of players (while still having competitive bidding), rather than having to sell ad space.  Finally, as long as the networks are using the NFL product as a loss leader, it will make far more sense for the NFL to keep using third parties, rather than bringing the distribution of its product in-house.  Long-term they may need to consider shifting the model, but I don't think the NFL wants to sever this set-up/relationship in the near future.

2 minutes ago, El ramster said:

Wouldn’t that defeat the purpose of the word free.?

Yup. Which is why not showing the anthem on television seems like a good common ground on the leagues part.

It doesn't take away from freedom rights but it also doesn't allow politics to get as much involved in the game as well.

I've applauded the leagues decision to stop showcasing anthems because of this reason. 

People love blaming the kneeling and get a hard on for it but it is one of many issues or reasons why ratings are down. Commercials, CTE (players quit on seasons for self preservation reasons IMO), lack of practice time because of CBA, too many penalties (have OL play with play with boxing gloves, boom no more holding calls), poor PR from domestic abuse/kneeling/people who don't like celebrations, cord cuttings, rule changes to make games too offensive heavy (big performances mean less now), and Redzone have all contributed to the decline.

Honestly I think more people were fired up about the kneeling because of Trump. I think people were upset before it but with how split this country is right now politically, having the most polarizing figure in the world openly bash the league just gets the juices flowing in some people. If kneeling is what has you fired up then I suggest changing to a streaming service, never see the national anthem and am fine with it. The game means more to me than how the players choose to express themselves.

Archived