PFF Mock Draft

vegas492

I've run a bunch of these things on their site.  Just because I can trade.  And I tend to get too cute with the trades, but here it goes.

Going into it, I want a DL, corner and OT.  Eyeballing them early.  Also want two WR's.  Let's see how it plays out.

Ungh.  Did not like how this one fell.

29.  Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, LB.  Notre Dame.  Didn't want to take him, size concerns.  But, he's there.  Maybe he is the new kind of linebacker that we need.

62.  Walker Little, T.  Stanford.  PFF values him highly.

---Traded 92 for 94 and 136.  Didn't like the board.

94.  Seth Williams.  WR.  Auburn.  Had to reach a little for him.

135.  Kary Vincent Jr.  CB.  LSU.  

136.  Simi Fehoko, WR.  Stanford.

142.  Robert Hainsey, T.  Notre Dame.

173.  Darius Stills, DL, West Virginia.  First time value met the pick for DL.

178.  Damar Hamlin, S, Pittsburgh.

214.  D'Wayne Eskridge, WR.  Western Michigan.  Hated taking another WR, but I feel that PFF is really undervaluing him.

220.  MIchal Menet, C, Penn State.

256.  Jermar Jefferson, HB, Oregon State.

PFF gave me a B.  Guess I feel like this was a D+.  Missed on the corners I wanted, didn't get a DL till late.  Thought two tackles was overkill, but we overkilled the G's last year.  Took volume at WR.  

Biggest miss that I see is corner, though I think the LSU kid can play the slot, and the first round pick should be a hybrid safety/LB.  

Came away very unpleased.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

....and the first round pick should be a hybrid safety/LB.

Please no.

Seems we've been trying to fill this spot for years.

Josh Jones
Oren Burks
Raven Green

The list is long. The player contributions is short. Either - somebody needs to eyeball the player talent better - or - we need to scheme them so they can perform better - or - we need to select players with *defined* skills/talent and put them on the field to carry them out.

Now - would I like a high achieving "Hybrid safety/LB" type (Read: Jeremy Chinn)  - sure (!) - but I've lost faith we can find/select that player.

(Note: I know Burks didnt play S in the NFL.....but he supposedly brought S talents to the LB position....and...he contributes most on ST) 

Add on edit:  Now - select another true S - and let #26 roam the field and put his coverage skills to work. Not at LB mind you - but his coverage skills we could use more of in an expanded role.  Just a thought.

Edited by Leader
  • Like 3

Starting out with JOK really puts you in a bind.  Jefferson in the 7th seems a steal.  Williams and Fehoko seem the same WR and neither is necessarily an upgrade to what we have, only younger.  Little at OT and Eskridge are my favorites in this draft.  Agree, PFF is unpleasing.

JOK is one of the best defensive players in the draft. Don't think of him as a LB, think of him as an alley defender. Defense against jet sweeps, bubbles, read option, outside zone. Same reason we didn't rack up points on Tampa, the guys they play on the 2nd level are quicker and faster than your RBs and WRs, it's going to be hard to make plays. We'd need a guy like Snacks to come back and eat snaps and keep us from getting gashed through the middle, but a 2-4-5 with Barnes/Martin and JOK out there would be really tough to move the ball on through the alleys.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GWH87 said:

Tough hand it seems you got dealt. But I can’t find a pick I like (maybe Walker Little @ 94)

Do you like the PFF board and their evaluations? I find them off

Do I find them "off'?  I actually found my selections to be "off-ful".

Kidding aside, I've used PFF and thedraftnetwork for mocks.  All I can say is that they certainly have guys ranked differently.  I couldn't tell you which one I believe.

1 hour ago, Joe said:

JOK probably won't be there at 29 but I could see him being the guy whom we would trade up nevermind the gaping hole at OT. In that vein, Walker Little is a poor fit given his issues as a run blocker.

This isn't my mock, it is one that I ran on PFF.  He was there.  JOK.  If he's on the board, do you take him?  

What film have you watched concerning Walker Little?  I think he's played one game in two years.  The only "knock" against him is that I've read that many feel that he is a "finesse" blocker at LT.  Isn't that how LT's run block?  Using footwork and their frame?  Bakh isn't exactly a mauler at LT and he is more than fine.

I have a tough time getting a feel for where Little will go.  And I'm not about to say he's a poor fit at an athletic 6'7'' 310 pounds.  

• Like 2

Yeah, I just did one of those and if you trade your late picks you can get a few nice signings. In my case I got:

29 JOK

62 Dyami Brown

70 Ifeatu Melinfowu

74 Daviyon Nixon

113 Shaun Wade

Tat would be pretty ideal for us (except for the lack of an OT).

I like this in the way that it is an exercise in what the board not falling quite the way we wanted.

I also have no idea what the board looks like, but might it serve the Packers to go more of a shotgun approach to the DL?  Rather than doubling up on WR or OT or DB, just take the first good value and if we already have one take the best DL available without jumping too far ahead?  If we take 3 DL and one of them hits, that is probably more essential to the team right now than having our possible 3 and 4 WRs for 2022.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I like this in the way that it is an exercise in what the board not falling quite the way we wanted.

I also have no idea what the board looks like, but might it serve the Packers to go more of a shotgun approach to the DL?  Rather than doubling up on WR or OT or DB, just take the first good value and if we already have one take the best DL available without jumping too far ahead?  If we take 3 DL and one of them hits, that is probably more essential to the team right now than having our possible 3 and 4 WRs for 2022.

Maybe not 3 DL but we need help up the middle. 

5 hours ago, vegas492 said:

This isn't my mock, it is one that I ran on PFF.  He was there.  JOK.  If he's on the board, do you take him?  

What film have you watched concerning Walker Little?  I think he's played one game in two years.  The only "knock" against him is that I've read that many feel that he is a "finesse" blocker at LT.  Isn't that how LT's run block?  Using footwork and their frame?  Bakh isn't exactly a mauler at LT and he is more than fine.

I have a tough time getting a feel for where Little will go.  And I'm not about to say he's a poor fit at an athletic 6'7'' 310 pounds.  

1. I don't take JOK because of an immediate need at OT that wasn't filled in FA. Our issue in the front-7 is what's between our traditional EDGE guys and Kenny. We have virtually no talent outside of Kenny sans Keke who hasn't completely proven himself as a reliable player and Lowry who is boom-or-bust depending on the year.

2. As for Walker Little, the issue is not that he's a finesse OT as you put it, but because he's coming off of a season ending knee injury in which he opted out of the 2020 season. So not only has he NOT seen action since his knee injury, but now he's moving to the next level where the challenge will be much greater for him; then factor in what you've read about him. Consequently, I think you have to go early with the OT selection with Mayfield or Radunz.

I know it's not your mock...

• Like 1

@Joe We do not really have an immediate need at tackle.  I can bend on that a little if Bakh isn't ready to go.  But with Bakh and Turner, we have two good tackles under contract for a while and some versatility there with Jenkins, if needed.  It isn't like we need one in the first to step in and start right away and hold the position for 10 years.

I do feel like we have a more immediate need inside.  Barmore was off of the board with JOK was there.  Corners were gone, except for Samuel Jr.  It was really JOK, trade back about 20 picks, take an EDGE or really reach on an OT or CB.  But there was just no one there.  Not remotely close.

Regarding Little, you said "given his issues as a run blocker".  I'm curious, so I'll ask again.  Did you see any?  Or are you going off of something that you read somewhere?  Me?  I'm going off of what I read.  Highly athletic 6'7''305 pounder.  Very good feet.  Run blocking as a LT is as much if not more about position blocking than it is drive blocking.  And I can teach drive blocking if that is what is needed.  What I can't teach are feet.  Little is polarizing to me because of the lack of film on him.  He will be an interesting one to watch in the draft, whether or not GB takes him.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, vegas492 said:

@Joe We do not really have an immediate need at tackle.  I can bend on that a little if Bakh isn't ready to go.  But with Bakh and Turner, we have two good tackles under contract for a while and some versatility there with Jenkins, if needed.  It isn't like we need one in the first to step in and start right away and hold the position for 10 years.

I agree in part with this.  I think Bakhtiari and Turner as starters is more than adequate.  However, our only backup at the moment is Yosh Nijman, and Bakhtiari may still be dealing with his knee injury at the beginning of the season.  It is skating on pretty thin ice.  I would have a hard time passing on a tackle in any round that he was among the best available.  Or perhaps Yosh is a big hit in camp and Jon Runyan turns into his dad.  

On 3/24/2021 at 7:16 PM, MantyWrestler said:

Maybe not 3 DL but we need help up the middle. 

I don't know if I would be super excited at the time of the draft.  I usually don't like taking more than one player at a position in a draft.  I think that there are limited reps for them in practice and I would like the rookies to have the best chance to succeed.  But our DL behind the 3 starters is:  Willington Previlon, and Anthony Rush.  Perhaps more competition is better in a place where they are also more likely to see snaps?

• Like 1