Jaguars sign QB CJ Beathard

.Buzz

I don't really care so much about how bad he is.  Hopefully we never really have to watch him actually play.  How is he as a backup on the sidelines, in the film room, around the building as a veteran mentor, etc.?  That's what i'm more interested in.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pwny said:

Yes. Like miles better. And Beathard isn't good. 

I just don't understand the point of signing the guy.  The right move in my mind is either keeping Minshew or going after a guy like Alex Smith, who would be the perfect mentor to Trevor Lawrence.  Smith would probably cost more, but we have the money, and he would be worth it.  It just seems like Beathard adds very little.  He isn't going to be able to relate to someone like Trevor, and he probably won't win many games for us if we need to put him in.

4 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I just don't understand the point of signing the guy.  The right move in my mind is either keeping Minshew or going after a guy like Alex Smith, who would be the perfect mentor to Trevor Lawrence.  Smith would probably cost more, but we have the money, and he would be worth it.  It just seems like Beathard adds very little.  He isn't going to be able to relate to someone like Trevor, and he probably won't win many games for us if we need to put him in.

Minshew has no value to this team. He’s the exact definition of a zero value asset. There’s no reason to keep him if you can get a pick back for him. There’s no real value he can reasonably bring over the remainder of his contract. 

And he’s already gone to the media once to complain about not starting, so his entire potential is that of a distraction if things start off shaky for Lawrence. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pwny said:

Minshew has no value to this team. He’s the exact definition of a zero value asset. There’s no reason to keep him if you can get a pick back for him. There’s no real value he can reasonably bring over the remainder of his contract. 

And he’s already gone to the media once to complain about not starting, so his entire potential is that of a distraction if things start off shaky for Lawrence. 

I hadn't heard that before.  That does change things.  I just hope we can get more than a dud like CJ Beathard for him though.  He is worth more than that.

The sample size is incredibly small, and the offense is very QB friendly, but…

Of QBs with at least 100 passes, CJ Beathard had the third highest QB rating this season, behind only Watson and Rodgers. Under the same metric, Jake Luton was dead last in the league (and had a fumble issue on top of it).

If the team has decided to move on from Minshew and Alex Smith has indicated to the team he still wants to be able to compete for a starting job while helping to groom a QBotF, this is an okay move.

Over the next two seasons, I don’t really see us being in a situation where if Lawrence misses time that any backup QB is going to really hold the team together for a playoff push or anything. If this was even next year, I’d be interested in someone with a bit more consistency or upside. But this year when a healthy Lawrence probably doesn’t get us past 8 wins? Nah. 

Really what you want for this team is a guy who won’t be a distraction no matter how hot or cold Lawrence starts out, a guy who can come off the bench if an injury arises and not make a complete fool of himself, a guy who is a great teammate, and preferably someone who has some knowledge they can impart. But the last bit is often hard to come by, because most guys still playing who have a high mental aptitude don’t want to go to a situation where they are entrenched as a backup.

George Kittle had some nice words to say about him

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMz3FqOBFzO/?igshid=st43nbpko4u5

j8RCpTy.jpg

Sounds like he was a good teammate. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Forge said:

He's very bad

But he's tough!

@N4L do either of you have any information you can impart about how he is strictly as a backup? Obviously the on field stuff has had some ups with a lot of downs. But if he doesn’t see the field, what type of value does he have with all the other stuff?