Bears sign Damien Williams

2 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Well, I guess this means goodbye to Artavius Pierce. Too bad. He looked like he might work out. 

Not necessarily. This staff has kept 4 RBs in the past. 

Bears also hired Pierce's old college RB coach as the new RB's coach.

If anyone is in trouble it's Ryan Nall

Oh and btw I like this signing. The RB depth was not good last season after Cohen went down.

Williams played very well with the Chiefs and has familiarity with Lazor from Miami

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

Well, I guess this means goodbye to Artavius Pierce. Too bad. He looked like he might work out. 

Could also mean we're about to deal Cohen out some where. 

It's a weird move tbh... He fills the same role Cohen and theoretically peirce does, but Nall is by far the least useful/effective rb on the roster. 

I wouldn't think they'd give up on peirce so fast, but 3 speedier receiver RBs seems odd.

• Like 1

I really like this signing. Hopefully he gets used appropriately and makes a solid 1-2 punch with Monty.

7 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

200.gif

Or we have Cohen becoming a full-time WR. Nagy might feel the experiment didn't work because he was too busy with his PR and HB duties.

I'm joking but now I'm concerned that it might happen. lol

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Epyon said:

Could also mean we're about to deal Cohen out some where.

Trading Cohen prior to 6/1 would leave us with a -$2M net cap charge, and his value has never been lower with a 2019 dip in production followed by a 2020 torn ACL. I can’t see him going anywhere.

Nagy seems to like Nall for some reason and he does play on coverage teams, plus Pierce still has PS eligibility. Having a potentially NFL caliber RB who you may not even have a roster spot for is a good thing.

I’m high on Williams. He’s a versatile player who can provide high quality depth behind what we get from both Monty and Cohen. I think this is our best FA signing thus far. 

7 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m high on Williams. He’s a versatile player who can provide high quality depth behind what we get from both Monty and Cohen. I think this is our best FA signing thus far. 

Yeah the player himself is a great grab....

The fit is where I'm more confused than anything...  He's literally coming in to fill the same exact role we already have Cohen, Patterson, and theoretically Pierce for.

Maybe this means CP is going to go (which he's a fine returner, and STer, but meh everywhere else)..... as Williams has to be eating into at least some of Cohen or Patterson's reps.

Edited by Epyon
Just now, Epyon said:

The fit is where I'm more confused than anything...  He's literally coming in to fill the same exact role we already have Cohen, Patterson, and theoretically Pierce for.

Maybe this means CP is going to go..... as Williams has to be eating into at least some of Cohen or Patterson's reps.

Patterson likely won't be re-signed and Cohen wasn't getting much use last year before he got hurt. Only like 5 touches a game anyway. That's why the extension seemed so odd to me. Over $5 mil per year for a guy who gets the ball only sporadically and doesn't really do kickoffs even.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

Patterson likely won't be re-signed and Cohen wasn't getting much use last year before he got hurt. Only like 5 touches a game anyway. That's why the extension seemed so odd to me. Over $5 mil per year for a guy who gets the ball only sporadically and doesn't really do kickoffs even.

I was actually thinking with CP seemingly not coming back that Cohen maybe would return to doing KO returns again.

1 hour ago, Epyon said:

The fit to me is pretty apparent - he’s a legitimate, established NFL RB to back up and maybe even share carries to some extent with Montgomery. He’s been a team’s primary RB and had success in the role. That’s something we didn’t have last year but every team should have. Cohen isn’t going to be able to carry the load if Monty misses time, Patterson isn’t a RB, Nall is just a ST player and Pierce saw limited time as a rookie.