Bears sign Damien Williams

beardown3231

10 hours ago, Damikeeeee said:

Which of those positions do we get a contributor in round 5-6?  You're making more of this than needed. Im not talking about a valuable resource 

Depth or starters at all those position le are need more than a RB. This season there is not need to draft a RB. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

Depth or starters at all those position le are need more than a RB. This season there is not need to draft a RB. 

Imo that's the worst way to use mid to late round picks. You don't draft positions. Take who's fallen and acquire talent anywhere.

35 minutes ago, Damikeeeee said:

Imo that's the worst way to use mid to late round picks. You don't draft positions. Take who's fallen and acquire talent anywhere.

Except you can’t solely do that, there’s a line a team has to walk between need and talent. 

On 3/26/2021 at 7:08 PM, topwop1 said:

He's also a heck of a special teams player aside from just returns. Maybe he's just asking for too much coin. I'm sure a lot of teams would love to have a player like him on their roster

This is why I would want to see him back. He’s an outstanding player on coverage teams. I don’t know that if you had another random KOR attempt the same returns from the same spots Patterson did in 2020 that the results would be much different. Other guys just don’t run kicks back from there very often. I 100% respect and appreciate the effort to provide a spark, but IMO it ended up hurting us way more than it helped us. It sure seemed like we ended up starting drives inside the 20 on those kicks he brought out from 7+ yards deep far more often than we did beyond the 30.

Also, and this isn’t Patterson’s fault, if he’s here Nagy will try to force use of him on offense, and it’s just that - forced. Even if he is brought back he shouldn’t be taking RB reps from any of Montgomery, Cohen or Williams. Let the actual RBs play RB. 

• Like 1

On 3/27/2021 at 8:26 AM, Damikeeeee said:

On 3/27/2021 at 9:02 AM, blkwdw13 said:

Except you can’t solely do that, there’s a line a team has to walk between need and talent. 

I think you can fill an absolute need with a minimum or cheap vet unless it is a premium position like QB, OT, Edge or CB.

Draft should always be about finding impact players.  First 3 rounds you want guys ready or nearly ready to contribute.   Mostly multi year starters from major programs.

Rest of draft you are gambling on injury, small school, or traits.   

Biggest thing that is widely overlooked is you need a plan to develop guys who need development or it is all a complete waste of time.

You do occasionally get lucky with a guy who can just play that was overlooked or injured, but most of time they need the coaching and skill development or nutrition or extra strength training and physical maturity or some combination.

I fell like Pace’s mid and later round hits are guys that were overlooked or injured.   We need to do more actual developing and coaching these guys up.  

Patriots are really pretty crappy at drafting, but they are excellent at coaching and developing.  As much as I dislike Pace of late, I think if Pace were picking players for Belichick aside from QBs the Patriots would be far better off and Pace’s picks and UDFAs especially would look much, much better.

• Like 1