Sleepers? Favorite Hidden Gems

Humble_Beast

19 minutes ago, ClutchDJ said:

Darn. I didn't realize that. Definitely thought he was out of eligibility.

Replace him on the list with:

Isaiahh Loudermilk. I think he could be a good 5-Tech. Very long and plays a gap-sound brand of football. Not overly explosive, but holds the point of attack very well. Has enough wiggle to get some pressure on the QB, but will be at his best locking out OT's and controlling space.

Edited by LinebackerGod

8 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Would Pete Werner be considered a sleeper? I think he can play a role, albeit limited role, of thumping downhill. But I think he'll be very good at it. 

IMO, no, he's a Day 2 pick imo. And I see him as much more than a downhill thumper. I think he's a three-down LB. Bob McGinn had him list in the top 30 defensive players in the Draft.

15 hours ago, jrry32 said:

IMO, no, he's a Day 2 pick imo. And I see him as much more than a downhill thumper. I think he's a three-down LB. Bob McGinn had him list in the top 30 defensive players in the Draft.

Really?! Well, I'm surprised. I'm glad, because I like him, but I didn't expect that. I thought NFL teams would find him a bit too small, lack the necessary athleticism etc

4 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Really?! Well, I'm surprised. I'm glad, because I like him, but I didn't expect that. I thought NFL teams would find him a bit too small, lack the necessary athleticism etc

6'2-6'3, 240+ is one of the bigger lbs and covers wrs dont really think any of these apply to a 2nd round pick with pretty good traits

Werner is too slow to go day 2. I love what he does, but he can’t cover my dead grandparents in man coverage. His instincts as a zone dropper are excellent, but he’s way too stiff to cover even slow TEs in man.  I think he has to play in a 4-3 base on a team that stays in cover 2 80% of the time to survive.

Also, is Werner really that big? I’ve seen him listed a lot smaller than that. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, LinebackerGod said:

Werner is too slow to go day 2. I love what he does, but he can’t cover my dead grandparents in man coverage. His instincts as a zone dropper are excellent, but he’s way too stiff to cover even slow TEs in man.  I think he has to play in a 4-3 base on a team that stays in cover 2 80% of the time to survive.

I've never understood how people can watch Pete Werner and see "slow" unless people are getting him mixed up with Tuf Borland... Werner's speed and athleticism has been raved about for years by Ohio State players and coaches. He's going to test out well. That's actually probably his biggest strength. 

Can you point out bad games he's had against TEs? He was THE guy at Ohio State they had covering TEs and he always did well with that. Totally held Freiermuth in check in 2019 and was all over him all game. 

As far as size goes he'll probably go 6-2.5, 240 - 245 lbs. He's never looked it but he's always been a pretty big dude. Just looked more like a safety (and probably because they played him in a safety like role in 2019). 

Edited by BRANDON26841X
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BRANDON26841X said:

I've never understood how people can watch Pete Werner and see "slow" unless people are getting him mixed up with Tuf Borland... Werner's speed and athleticism has been raved about for years by Ohio State players and coaches. He's going to test out well. That's actually probably his biggest strength.

What do you think he’s gonna time? I bet it’s +4.75. He slow dude. 

Can you point out bad games he's had against TEs? He was THE guy at Ohio State they had covering TEs and he always did well with that. Totally held Freiermuth in check in 2019 and was all over him all game. 

They didn’t ask him to play man to man. And off the top of my head, he looked like garbage against Alabama trying to play in space. He’s great in zone like I said. He’s too stiff to run and chase. 

As far as size goes he'll probably go 6-2.5, 240 - 245 lbs. He's never looked it but he's always been a pretty big dude. Just looked more like a safety (and probably because they played him in a safety like role in 2019). 

Yeah he was smallish looking. Maybe he carried it well.

47 minutes ago, LinebackerGod said:

Werner played man to man against Pat Freiermuth and did quite well. As for speed, he's solid in that area. I would guess he runs in the 4.6's.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LinebackerGod said:

What do you think he’s gonna time? I bet it’s +4.75. He slow dude. 

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him in the high 4.5's (especially on OSU's notoriously fast track). I'm an Ohio State fan. I've just heard way too much about his speed over the years for it to just be smoke at this point. 

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2019/10/107339/pete-werners-ascendence-has-rendered-the-bullet-null-in-ohio-states-defense

“He's way more athletic than anybody gives him credit for,” Hafley said after Ohio State beat Cincinnati on Sept. 7. “So that gives us a little bit of a weapon that he can move around and do things that you or people don't think that he can do.”

Before the season, linebackers coach Al Washington compared his willingness to attack and complete tasks to the Terminator, called him a “warrior” and said he has a “crazy skillset.” Mattison, before he had ever coached Werner in a game, referred to him as “very, very athletic and very, very fast.”

They didn’t ask him to play man to man. And off the top of my head, he looked like garbage against Alabama trying to play in space. He’s great in zone like I said. He’s too stiff to run and chase. 

Werner playing man coverage against TEs was basically his role in the 2019 defense. https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/film-study/2020/10/117034/film-study-what-the-move-to-will-linebacker-means-for-pete-werner-and-the-2020-buckeye-defense They use two "overhang" defenders. The "cover safety" (Wade) would align to the slot receivers side and often draw a man assignment against the slot, and Werner would do the same for the TE. 

Edited by BRANDON26841X
  • Like 1