Mock draft simulator fun! (2021 edition)

Heinz D.

Like everyone else I've been playing around with simulators for the last month or so.  I try to pick up the same three I think will help the Bears next year

-D'wayne Eskridge  WR  West Mich

-Patrick Johnson  OLB Tulane

-Davis Mills 

When I get a draft that falls my way I'll post it 

• Like 1

Traded down (basically) twice. First with Denver, then with Las Vegas. Non-goofy trades, too. God I love this one!

40. Alex Leatherwood, OT Alabama

52. Kellen Mond, QB Texas A&M

79. Ronnie Perkins, EDGE Oklahoma

83. D'Wayne Eskridge, WR Central Michigan

121. Ar'Darius Washington, S TCU

164. Cole Van Lanen, OT Wisconsin

204. Feliepe Franks, QB Arkansas

221. Briley Moore, TE Kansas State 

• Like 2

Did some trading back to get a few more swings with this one.  It's really annoying that we have more needs (CB) than we did at the end of the season, and our biggest addition has been a backup RB and an expensive but negligible upgrade at QB. 

Teven Jenkins
OT Oklahoma State
Eric Stokes
CB Georgia
Rondale Moore
WR Purdue
Kellen Mond
QB Texas A&M
Joe Tryon
EDGE Washington
Tyler Shelvin
DT LSU
Charles Snowden
LB Virginia
Richard LeCounte
S Georgia
Javian Hawkins
RB Louisville
Dan Moore
OT Texas A&M
Olaijah Griffin
CB USC

• Like 1

My favorite sim (though a number of these picks are hilariously unlikely for their draft positions)

No trades

Rnd 1, pick 20  Mac Jones QB...... My QB 3 for the draft I don't care that he looks like he's in worse shape than I am, at half my age.... he plays damn good football

Rnd 2 , pick 52  Jalen Mayfield-OT  (I normally go Eskridge-WR here.... but with the way the board could break, Eskridge would be ranked closer to our 3rd rounder than our second, and I wasn't thrilled with the OTs ranked by the third.... I don't actually have a ton of info on this kid, but TheDraftNetwork is pretty homer for him)

Rnd 3, pick 83 Quinn Meinerz-IOL   Kid had a dominant senior bowl week. Nagy gets his small school pick to satisfy himself.... (Eskridge went 5 picks earlier, was hoping to snag him here)

Round 5, pick 164  Josh Imatorhabe-WR    Athletic freak, who Allen Robinson can hopefully mentor a bit.

Round 6, pick 204   Jaret Patterson-RB   Amazing RB value this late.

Round 6, pick 208 Jaylon Moore-OT  He's big and he can move....

Round 6, pick 221 Cole Van Lanen-OT   He's big and he can maul you.

Round 7, pick 228 Ihmir Smith-Marsette-WR   Good size, good speed/agility. Absolutely floored he's on the board this late, I've heard rumors he's a potential day 2 pick.

My plan for this draft..... Is I want to pound the ever loving hell out of the football on the ground. I will find 5 linemen who want to block a dude between the current people and the 4 guys I just drafted. Monty, Williams, Cohen, Patterson is my likely backfield.....    Furthermore, I wanted to make things as easy as possible for the Mac attack going forward.... He's not super mobile so load up on OL, emphasize the run, and grab some WR threats to develop..... I'd add, this draft is also about carrying some of the weight for Dalton as well, who has much of the same limitations.

For reasons that remain my own, I call this the "JFC NO" mock.  In light of the unsubstantiated rumor that the Bears want pick 4, I traded the following for pick 4 from the Falcons (likely not enough in the real world)

To Bears: Received:

Pick 4 - Trey Lance

To Falcons: Received:

Pick 20
Pick 52
Pick 83
Pick 164
Pick 204
2022 CHI 1st
2022 CHI 2nd
2022 CHI 3rd
2022 CHI 4th
2022 CHI 5th

Then with a feeling of bleak dread, I drafted (for the next 2 years)

Trey Lance
QB North Dakota State
Alaric Jackson
OT Iowa
Simi Fehoko
WR Stanford
Israel Mukuamu
S South Carolina

I would say the mood in the draft room was not great. 

13 hours ago, Epyon said:

My favorite sim (though a number of these picks are hilariously unlikely for their draft positions)

That IS an  unlikely one, yes. I would love it if turned out that way, though. Mac Jones at #20 and Smith-Marsette in the seventh? Sign me up!!! 🤣

• Like 1

I never do mock draft if only because I couldn't get passed three rounds anyway.  After that so many names have some off the board it's just a wild card game.  At least Pace seems to have figured out how to score in rounds 4 and beyond so I'm willing to trust him with those picks.

As for the first three rounds sitting where we are there are so many possibilities for players, positions, trades up and trades down I'm not even putting much effort into having strong favorites.  I just believe he needs to find players who can contribute quickly as starters or primary depth and take less risk on guys with major upside but low floors.  Some of his earlier picks have been abysmal.  Stay more centered.

interesting scenario i came across doing a mock draft today

bears trade 20 to the arizona cardinals for 49 and a 2022 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 7th.

this obviously takes us away from top talent, but allows us to grab an extra 2nd for the cloud of OT/CB/WR that should be there. it also loads us up for next year, in case we either need a full overhaul again or want to use our ammo to trade up for a top qb.

thoughts?

1 hour ago, HuskieBear said:

interesting scenario i came across doing a mock draft today

bears trade 20 to the arizona cardinals for 49 and a 2022 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 7th.

this obviously takes us away from top talent, but allows us to grab an extra 2nd for the cloud of OT/CB/WR that should be there. it also loads us up for next year, in case we either need a full overhaul again or want to use our ammo to trade up for a top qb.

thoughts?

I wouldn't make any trades that looked to next year. Who knows what Pace might do, though.