Jayron Kearse signed to 1 yr deal

WizardHawk

3 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

I’d have preferred Hooker, but given the injury history I get it. Either way, significant upgrade coming it would appear.

I felt the same, but to be fair, I haven't exactly studied either player recently. John Owning has said several times that Hooker was not looking great even before injury the last two years, and that he'd prefer Kazee. 

So I'm really optimistic about this one. He should help the rest of the defense adjust to Quinn's scheme, he's a ball hawk, and can hold up as a spot cornerback. Plus, it doesn't deter you from taking a guy like Moehrig or Grant. A perfect fit if you weren't going to spend big on the position

25 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

This is a ST signing. Dude isn't playing meaningful defensive snaps. Also, I'd guess it's a vet minimum contract, so no guarantee he makes it through training camp.

Still only so many roster spots. Kearse, Wilson and Neal all do the same thing. If Neal is taking snaps from Jaylon then we should have just moved on from him.

40 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

Still only so many roster spots. Kearse, Wilson and Neal all do the same thing. If Neal is taking snaps from Jaylon then we should have just moved on from him.

Only so many roster spots, sure... but several of them as designated for ST guys. Joe Thomas and Justin March aren’t returning, if Kearse makes the roster, he takes one of their spots. And, this is key, he really might not even make the roster. I get that every time the Cowboys do anything it feels like Atlas shrugged, but this is not a transaction to be getting worked up over.

And yes. They should have moved on from Jaylon. But that’s an entirely unrelated topic to this signing.

24 minutes ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

I feel like our front office takes the whole "churn the bottom of the roster"  way too literally. 

I mean, last year’s roster definitely needed/still needs some churning lol

Between UFAs, cap casualties and reserve lists, I’m pretty sure the average team ends up turning over ~20 players a year from their final roster the year before. I couldn’t find any empirical data, so this was the best article I came across with some quick Googling

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/38970341

Edited by matt79511

1 hour ago, matt79511 said:

I mean, last year’s roster definitely needed/still needs some churning lol

Between UFAs, cap casualties and reserve lists, I’m pretty sure the average team ends up turning over ~20 players a year from their final roster the year before. I couldn’t find any empirical data, so this was the best article I came across with some quick Googling

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/38970341

If I counted right, there are only 20 players from the 2018 season that will likely be on the 53 man in 2021. Almost 2/3 of your roster gets turned over in 3 years. And this isn’t abnormal to Dallas. You have to constantly be roster tinkering and creating competition.